Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #16
gilesmt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceesmom View Post
I hadn't heard that prior military could stay at SOG in Sept and Jan. My husband was in the Navy, but did not retire from the Navy. He did 4 years before going to college. Where can I find information about this option. It might just be a good excuse to make a Sept. or Jan. bonus trip.
If you go under there web site and call the reservation number they can tell you. I read it all the time on the military sites that it is still an option, although I have noticed that last year they took it off the main SoG site. On military sites it tells you how to get a copy of a dd214, that is all you need to have to get the room in sept and jan, and in sept it was 40% off, but I see it is now only 30% off, I think as it fills up it gives less of a discount. I know for a fact that you can do this, because we stayed this way in the past, but then ex got 100% disabled and he now fits under that, so it can be done and we stayed jan and there was like a 50% off sale, so we paid something like $37 for a room, but that was years ago.

As for tickets, you can buy the military tickets, not the salute tickets, because you would not qualify, but you can buy the discounted military tickets, the ones without tax, if you go during the months of sept and jan.

I will try to find the military site, but if you call they will let you book in sept and jan, you will need a dd214 upon check in, and right now the rooms for 5 are going for about $75 depending on your rank, it may be cheaper in jan. since you missed some of the good discounts in sept.
gilesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #17
gilesmt
DIS Veteran

Here is the information I was able to obtain from military Disney tips, I thought the discount was long ago, like back in the 1990's but here it states it started in 2010. My ex has been eligible for 100% disabled since the early 2000's so maybe we never stayed under it this way, but I thought we had. SoG rooms are the biggest on site, so 5 fit easily. Sept and jan are very slow months. I love this resort, right on property, we pay less than $100 and use the poly monorail, and they are paying $500 a night, I just have to walk a few extra steps to get across the street, well worth the $400 a night I save.

Hope this helps.

Non-Retired Veterans now eligible for stays at Shades of Green Resort on Disney Property
Are you one of the many who served your country in the US Military for less than the 20 years required to retire? Perhaps it wasn't right for you, you moved on to a better job, or you wanted more stability.

Well now with their "Salute to Our Veterans" Program, Shades of Green is accepting reservations from non-retired US military veterans for stays in January and September.

Shades of Green the military resort located on Walt Disney World property began this offer for non-retired Vets in September 2010.

Eligibility Requirements are: Those who served in the military for less than 20 years and received an honorable discharge are eligible to stay at Shades of Green during the months of January and September only. A DD-214 is required at check-in as proof of your honorable discharge.

You may obtain a copy of your DD-214 by clicking here if you don't have one.

Shades of Green Basic Information

Rooms and Reservations: Maximum number of rooms per sponsor is three (this includes suites). Maximum number of guests in standard, poolside, or ADA rooms is five; junior suites sleep a maximum of six guests; suites sleep eight guests total. Military sponsors should not reserve additional rooms under their name for other eligible military/DoD sponsors. Sponsored guests must be accompanied by the military/DoD sponsor at check-in and throughout the entire stay. A room reserved with multiple sponsors should be reserved based on the highest-ranking person. Reservations are not transferable.

Room Rates: Room Rates are based upon verification of DD214 at the time of check-in. Guest showing their DD214 with an Honorable Discharge will pay the Category #2 rate. Please click here for Room Rate details. Room Rates are based on two adults occupying a standard room and four adults occupying the suites; for single occupancy, subtract $2 from the listed rate. Add $15 per additional adult 18 years or older.

Amenities: All rooms include refrigerator, coffee maker, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, and in-room safe. Due to fire codes, any additional cooking appliances (such as microwaves) are not allowed in guestrooms.

Pets: Pets are not permitted.

Smoking: Shades of Green is a smoke-free resort.

Detailed Shades of Green Information

Please check out the links to the left, the content they link to will give you a great overview of What Shades of Green has to offer.

One of the great benifits is their ticket sales office where ther sell Military Discounted Tickets foe all local area attractions (including Disney).

You can view Shades of Green's information for this program by clicking here (PDF download).

How to obtain a military ID
gilesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #18
thisismyusername
Mouseketeer

This question always comes down to what's most important to you and what you value. Often, you can find resort condos with several bedrooms and full kitchens and luxurious pools on site for the same price per night as a room at Port Orleans Riverside.

If you don't want to worry about transportation, don't want to cook any meals, only plan to be "home" to sleep and shower, and want to be immersed in the Disney experience, then you will want to stay on-site. However, if separate bedrooms are a must for you on vacation, and you'll have a car (or don't mind renting a car), and if you want to prepare some/most/all of your meals to help save some money, then I think you should consider an off-site condo.
thisismyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
JustAKid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestavern View Post
Disclaimer: I have never stayed onsite.

We've done three trips to WDW. Stayed at a timeshare resort once and Windsor Hills twice, first time in a 2 br condo, second time in a 4 br town home w/its own pool. You are very close to the parks, and if you are driving you may have a shorter trip than those taking Disney transpo. We loved our offsite trips, found it extremely easy to take midday breaks and felt very immersed with the themed bedrooms. It was awesome having so much space, a kitchen if we wanted to use it (not that we did...breakfast was about it as I don't like cooking on vacation), and our own private pool. All for less than staying onsite. We take the auto train down so we have our own car. If we had to rent a car, I'd do the math and figure out if it was still as good a deal.

That said, we are attempting to stay onsite next year, only because we can use RCI points to trade into DVC, which is the only way I will travel with kids It's no fun for our family of four being stuck in one room, even if we did only sleep there.

Just wanted to give you another opinion...
Quote:
Originally Posted by francie57 View Post
Have you checked into renting points for a 2 bedroom villa. You would have a full kitchen for quick breakfasts in the morning, snacks, and drinks. You would have an in-room washer/dryer so you wouldn't have to pack as much and have room to spread out.
In essence this was one of them beloved "convince me" threads. I was on the fence about on vs off-site. However, I think the benefits of being off-site out weight the magic of being on-site. Thanks for providing the other angle of the discussion - hearing my own thoughts repeated back to me was very reassuring and helpful!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: