Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #136
dansamy
DIS Veteran

We've been to WDW during Gay Days before. I never once saw any bad behavior towards openly gay couples.

(We're a hetero family. We were there for SWW. It just worked out that we were in many of the same parks as the designated Gay Days.)
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #137
Vickilynn42
Mouseketeer

I'm a straight married woman and to be honest, I think my whole family would rather go during Gay Days. I think the people would be a whole lot more fun to be around. Not so uptight lol!
Vickilynn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #138
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfam2012 View Post
Nothing really negative, CM's just kept calling my partner my son

For example, "Would your son like a sticker?"
"Do you need a childrens menu for your son?"

She's in her 30's people
I did something like that as a table server. This has nothing to do with Disney World because this was before I was hired there, but I had someone whom I thought was a kid want to order an alcoholic beverage. I told her that the law required for her to be 21. She told me that she was 22, which I did not think possible since she looked so young that I had been about to offer her a children's menu. It is a good thing that I didn't since she was indeed 22 while the kiddos' menu was for people no more than 12 years old. The woman was a not only youthful but a midget. Which leads me to ask you, is your partner by any chance small? I was so embarassed by my assumption about my own small young adult customer, but her companion told me that mine was a pretty typical reaction.
SanFranciscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #139
disfam2012
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranciscan View Post
I did something like that as a table server. This has nothing to do with Disney World because this was before I was hired there, but I had someone whom I thought was a kid want to order an alcoholic beverage. I told her that the law required for her to be 21. She told me that she was 22, which I did not think possible since she looked so young that I had been about to offer her a children's menu. It is a good thing that I didn't since she was indeed 22 while the kiddos' menu was for people no more than 12 years old. The woman was a not only youthful but a midget. Which leads me to ask you, is your partner by any chance small? I was so embarassed by my assumption about my own small young adult customer, but her companion told me that mine was a pretty typical reaction.
LOL! No, she's got me by 3 inches! It just so happens my partner looks like a 14 year old boy.
disfam2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #140
Steph2527
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
Florida may not be very gay friendly but Disney World really is its own little world. 3 and a half years ago my wife and I not only had our honeymoon a Disney, we got married there. Disney World totally gay friendly and cast members went out of their way to make a little extra magic for our honeymoon. So go and enjoy yourself and have a wonderful time!
How were your experiences with having your wedding at WDW? We are planning ours for may 2014. Thanks!
Steph2527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #141
dansamy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickilynn42
I'm a straight married woman and to be honest, I think my whole family would rather go during Gay Days. I think the people would be a whole lot more fun to be around. Not so uptight lol!
Gay Days is actually not bad if you hut the same parks they are. A lot of conservative hetero families avoid them, making those parks quite pleasant.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #142
AudreyKThompson
Disney Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by utterrandomness View Post
Well it's a family-oriented place and a family-oriented place, all at the same time, and so it should be. Welcoming to everyone, if only more places were like that.
ITA- Love the Mouse!
AudreyKThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #143
mcj79
Spring time trip to Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helencope88 View Post
thanks for everyones input on this thread!
myself and my fiancee are having a civil partnership ceremony here in the UK in october, and flying over to orlando for our honeymoon straight after.
although we have been before and never had a problem ive been a little concerned about how people would react to us as a lesbian couple on our honeymoon, i could be wrong, but as i understand it our legally recognised partnership, meaning we have the same rights as a heterosexual married couple, isnt recognised in florida. (please correct me if im wrong?!)
i guess i was worried that people would diminish the fact we were on our honeymoon.....
however after reading many of the lovely posts and stories on here i am no longer worried! and am now even more excited to spend my honeymoon in WDW.
Same-sex partnership/civil union/marriage is NOT recognized in Florida or the majority of States in the United States. I think we are up to 9 or so that offer some type of same-sex legal relationship recognition. I would highly recommend traveling with a medical proxy or medical power of attorney documents. On the off chance you had a medical emergency you would need paper work clearing stating you have given each other the right to visit & make treatment choices for the other. You can look at HRC.org to find out more on the subject.

Thankfully Disney World is much more friendly then the state of Florida. While being at Disney World does not effect the legal issues it does have a different vibe. If you are open and friendly with the CM/Disney staff you will more often then not be treated really wonderfully no matter if you are gay or straight. I think if they know it is your honeymoon they will do their best to make it a fun & romantic time for both of you. Make sure call ahead and let them know you are coming for your honeymoon! You might get some extra special magic!

Hope you have a wonderful time!

I have not been to Disney in over 15 years! This trip my lovely wife and I will be celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary and her B-day!
This will be my wife's 1st trip ever to Disney World! We will be there for her B-Day!!
Two ladies ready for some awesome Disney Magic!
mcj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #144
FlaNani
Mouseketeer

My partner and I have annual passes and we live less than 2 hours away, so we are in the World as often as we can get there. We have never had any problems with cast members or other guests. We were asked when checking in if we wanted one bed or two, the CM didn't skip a beat when we said one. We have our Rainbow Mickey pins and wear them when we go, and everyone seems to love them.

FlaNani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #145
SullySpears
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickilynn42 View Post
I wish everyone were like you!
SullySpears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #146
lego606
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullySpears View Post
I wish everyone were like you!
Agreed
Old 04-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #147
BuddyThomas
Mouseketeer

I've never ever had any issue of any kind at WDW, but there was a time when they tried to do some gay days stuff at Universal, and I heard the word "f*gg*t" more than a few times.........not directed at me, but still, it was uncomfortable, and it seems that the various gay days organizers now skip Universal on their schedules.
BuddyThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #148
Taytortots
Mouseketeer

It was great to hear all the good stories on here.
I've never been to the World with a partner (and am now currently single) but I do wear my rainbow mickey, and if I hear discrimination, have a little bit of a problem holding myself back from saying something.
I've gotten a few looks due to the pin (and I suppose some people assume that I am a lesbian because of how I look) but nothing bad.
I think, even through the magic, some jerks will come into the park and behave like bigots. Unfortunately, these people are everywhere. Thankfully Disney does a great job of being accepting and not tolerating this behavior, and the cast members being wonderful and open is amazing.
It brightens my day to hear the good stories, thanks everyone for sharing.

Last edited by Taytortots; 05-16-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Taytortots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #149
mcj79
Spring time trip to Disney!

We are officially hooked on Disney!

We just returned a couple weeks ago from our first Disney World trip together. And I'm happy to report we didn't have any negative experiences only 'magical' ones!

At check-in the CM didn't miss a beat when I told him it was my wife's B-day and our 1st trip together. He gave her a 'It's my Birthday' button, me a 'I'm celebrating' button us both 1st visit buttons. He noticed we paid with a Pen State Alum card and they struck up a conversation about Pen state. (He was there on a college program with Disney.)
We did a couple tours and both or our CM's were great & welcoming. The other guests were also friendly & welcoming. We walked arm-in-arm or held hands often during the tours. So, it was pretty clear between that & the introductions we were a couple. (If anyone had a issue they kept it to them selves.)
Any cast member's we actually talked with caught on pretty fast again never missing a beat. They were all so cheerful and welcoming.

At the AK we were walking along one of the paths near water fall and spotted a Photopass CM. It was not too busy of a spot so we jumped at the chance to get some good pics with out strangers in the background. So, we asked him for some photos, he took a few shots then asked if we were sisters. We said 'nope we are married'. He paused of a second and asked 'you two are married to each other?' We both replied 'yes'. He said "well then, give her a kiss and hold it for a minute." He had us both give kisses on the check and did some other fun shots with tinker bell.. tell us to give her that 'come on over here sexy look'! LOL! He was really nice & a lot of fun. And neither he or us cared about the other guests walking around and looking.

We are not big PDA people. But we did walk arm-in-arm fairly often. And always referred to each other as 'my wife' and when we talked to each other it was often 'sweety'. We had meals at a few group tables and talked with other guests in a few of the lines. We never had any issues. (We also never waited in line more then 40 minutes. Guess we had good timing!)

We realize not all Disney World or other Disney trips will be this perfect and amazing. But we are hooked and will for ever be chasing that first 'high'.

We are planning to hit Disney every couple years, at the very least when they ad something new. Totally checking out other Disney adventures too!

I have not been to Disney in over 15 years! This trip my lovely wife and I will be celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary and her B-day!
This will be my wife's 1st trip ever to Disney World! We will be there for her B-Day!!
Two ladies ready for some awesome Disney Magic!
mcj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:16 AM   #150
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph2527 View Post
How were your experiences with having your wedding at WDW? We are planning ours for may 2014. Thanks!
My wedding was absolutely easy and wonderful! We had the smallest package (whatever it is called now) which came with a set of things included - flowers for me and my wife, cake and champagne, the site/chairs/table/set-up/clean up, violinist, photographer, limo, and a wedding planner.

We added more flowers, more champagne, and a couple other little things. You can make the wedding as big as you want - photos in the park and even Mickey at your reception. Basically if you will write a check and it is legal, Disney will do it.

It can be more complicated, but we just went with Disney photography (our photographer rocked), had a friend "officiate" since this was a ceremony but we got married "for real" in CT because Florida would not recognize our marriage.

Our wedding planner was Tanis (or something like that) and we were her first same-sex wedding. She was so excited about it. It was treated like any other wedding.

Sorry, can't type more right now. But I do want to say it was amazing.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: