Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: AKL, WL, or POR--which is your pick for a moderately priced couple's getaway?
Animal Kingdom Lodge 14 38.89%
Wilderness Lodge 14 38.89%
Port Orleans Riverside 8 22.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #16
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. M View Post
yikes...polls are even . sounds like deluxe is the way to go for hot tub availability...but POR has the boats to downtown...and AKL is so far from all the parks- what's transportation to and from AKL like?
We've stayed at AKL and WL and both are great options, but I voted for WL for the close proximity to the monorail resorts as there is a variety of dining options to choose from. We found the transportation at AKL to be fine, but we prefer the MK area. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #17
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
yikes...polls are even . sounds like deluxe is the way to go for hot tub availability...but POR has the boats to downtown...and AKL is so far from all the parks- what's transportation to and from AKL like?
IMO, if I am going to pay deluxe prices, I want alternate transportation other than buses to and from at least one park. AKL does not offer that which is a deal breaker for me, no matter how beautiful it is. I might consider it if we had a car, but even still, it's off the beaten path. No way around that.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #18
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
AKL is all buses, but it doesn't share with other resorts, so IMO the buses aren't all that bad. (The bus service from the monorail area resorts was much worse for us since we had to share with 1-2 other resorts on each trip).

WL will give you boat access to the MK, but it's buses (I believe shared but I could be wrong) for the rest of the parks.

If the trip is heavily MK-based I would pick WL. Otherwise, I'd suggest looking at resort photos (and hot-tub photos if that's important to you) and choosing based on theme. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #19
Dr. M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
AKL is all buses, but it doesn't share with other resorts, so IMO the buses aren't all that bad. (The bus service from the monorail area resorts was much worse for us since we had to share with 1-2 other resorts on each trip).

WL will give you boat access to the MK, but it's buses (I believe shared but I could be wrong) for the rest of the parks.

If the trip is heavily MK-based I would pick WL. Otherwise, I'd suggest looking at resort photos (and hot-tub photos if that's important to you) and choosing based on theme. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
Looking at resort photos was a great suggestion---I should've thought of that...I'm definitely not considering POR now, since their only hot tub is so small, and with over 2000 guest rooms, that's a whole lotta people to share a hot tub with

So now it's down to WL, and AKL, and the polls are still pretty close.

AKL's hot tubs don't seem too close to the main pool, so there may not be as many kids jumping in and out. Their hot tubs also seem more "private". Another reason AKL may be convenient is that we have ADRs for Sanaa and Jiko's. Disney bus resort-to-resort travel may take a while, so staying at AKL would save some travel time for that reason alone.

On the other hand, WL is a much smaller resort, with half as many rooms as AKL, so fewer people to share the hot tubs with ??? Their tubs seem closer to the main pool, so it may be more noisy/more kids/less relaxing ???

If you have experience with both these resorts and how they compare, please chime in

Much appreciated
March 2014 DCL Wonder 5 night Caribbean, May 2015 DCL Fantasy 7 night Caribbean
Dr. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #20
Brave teacher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Looking at resort photos was a great suggestion---I should've thought of that...I'm definitely not considering POR now, since their only hot tub is so small, and with over 2000 guest rooms, that's a whole lotta people to share a hot tub with

So now it's down to WL, and AKL, and the polls are still pretty close.

AKL's hot tubs don't seem too close to the main pool, so there may not be as many kids jumping in and out. Their hot tubs also seem more "private". Another reason AKL may be convenient is that we have ADRs for Sanaa and Jiko's. Disney bus resort-to-resort travel may take a while, so staying at AKL would save some travel time for that reason alone.

On the other hand, WL is a much smaller resort, with half as many rooms as AKL, so fewer people to share the hot tubs with ??? Their tubs seem closer to the main pool, so it may be more noisy/more kids/less relaxing ???

If you have experience with both these resorts and how they compare, please chime in

Much appreciated
We have stayed at both. What you are forgetting is that in addition to the pool and hot tubs at Jambo House, you also have the pool and two additional hot tubs at Kidani as well. We have stayed only in Kidani Village at AKL/V, but we are at Jambo House in a couple of months. Love it! No problems with the buses at all. It picks up at Kidani then Jambo on the way to the parks. The isolation of AKL is what makes it so wonderful. It is like a whole other world while you are in WDW. The whole area is our absolute favorite part of WDW.

We stayed at WL on our last trip before becoming DVC members. We had a courtyard room. We liked it being smaller than other resorts. The bus travel was just okay since you pick up at Fort Wilderness and sometimes at the Poly or GF before heading out to the parks. The boat was nice, but it was only beneficial when going to MK, CR, or FW. The wait varied depending on how long it had been before the previous boat had left. The pool was smaller at WL than it is at Jambo, and the hot tub is not as secluded. There is a quiet pool over in the DVC area as well.

When given an option, my family chooses AKL/V over WL any day. It's where our heart is. We have stayed there for the past 4 years plus another stay this summer. We will be at WL in 2014. The last time we stayed there was in 2008.

We have never eaten at Jiko, but Sanaa is one of our favorite restaurants in WDW. Enjoy your stay wherever you choose.

Brave teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: