Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
latexscooter
Be nice even if it takes some effort.

Polynesian Long House Renovation

We're booked to stay at the Poly June 1 to 9. The resort is in the process of a remodel which started with Hawaii with the other long houses to follow. From what I'm seeing it looks like each long house is taken out of commission during remodel and will stay that way until complete.

I checked Tikiman's pages and he has "suggested" dates that the long houses will be undergoing renovations. I don't care so much about specifics but length of time it's anticipated it will take for each remodel. Does anyone know of a credible source that has that information? I was thinking 90 days but if I do that and pair it with Tikiman's dates it looks like five of the 10 regular long houses (I'm taking Tonga Suites out of the equation) will be down for remodel when I go. I just find that to be unrealistic.

Does anyone else have further information or a site I should check for more clarity?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
MikeRx
Mouseketeer

Hawaii went down January 6th and opened yesterday, March 13th. It takes about 2 months for each longhouse according to Tikiman and other posts. This would seem correct based on the Hawaii renovation. Others may be a bit quicker as they get better at doing them and they don’t have to refurb the concierge lounge as they did with Hawaii. Based on the projected schedule, it appears that they are trying to have only 2-3 longhouses out of comission at any one time.

We are hoping that Samoa is open before April 12th!

Mike
Mike DW DS (5 ) DMIL

First visit 1976, Pre-2010 too many off sites to remember, WDW 2/2010 BC CL, Disneyland GC 12/2010, WDW 4/2012 POLY TPV, WDW 7/2012 (off site), WDW 12/12 POP and 4/2013 POLY with Disney Dream cruise!

[url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url
MikeRx is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
latexscooter

Thank you! Two months seems short but makes more sense with the dates I'm seeing. It still looks like Aotearoa and Fiji will definitely be out and maybe Tokelau. On the other hand Samoa will be done.

We booked a standard view room so I'm trying to get a handle on where we might possibly end up.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

So far they have started the work on schedule. Going by the original construction schedule Hawaii was to be completed in 67 days and as of yesterday it was 67 days. Now they only opened 7 rooms with the remaining to be open this week but I would say they are staying on schedule.
As of last week with Niue and Rarotonga closing there were 4 longhouses closed at one time. Now there are 3. Tokelau should close on the 31st but Samoa should open this week if they stay on schedule. That will leave 3 longhouses closed until the last week of April when Aotearoa closes so at some point in April 4 longhouses could be closed. Again in May and June 4 could be closed at one time.

Not every longhouse will take the same amount since they are different sizes and some are getting new ADA and King bed rooms that will take longer.

Here is how long the construction company planned on working on each longhouse.

Tonga 27 days
Aotearoa 55 days
Fiji 32 days
Tuvalu 31 days
Hawaii 67 days (took 67)
Samoa 48 days
Niue 55 days
Rarotonga 56 days
Tokelau 62 days
Tahiti 62 days
Rapa Nui 55 days
Old 03-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
MikeRx
Mouseketeer

Thanks Tikiman! You are always a trusted source of information and a valuable resource for everyone! We've become a Poly family in part due to your information on FB and your webpage. We are excited to return on April 12th and have requested Samoa (as everyone else does...)

We are hoping that the prediction is correct and Samoa is open before April 12th!

This list, combined with the start dates of each longhouse is possibly the best information ever posted for those going to the Poly this year!!

Mike
Mike DW DS (5 ) DMIL

First visit 1976, Pre-2010 too many off sites to remember, WDW 2/2010 BC CL, Disneyland GC 12/2010, WDW 4/2012 POLY TPV, WDW 7/2012 (off site), WDW 12/12 POP and 4/2013 POLY with Disney Dream cruise!

Last edited by MikeRx; 03-14-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: added info
MikeRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Cindie-rella
...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
So far they have started the work on schedule. Going by the original construction schedule Hawaii was to be completed in 67 days and as of yesterday it was 67 days. Now they only opened 7 rooms with the remaining to be open this week but I would say they are staying on schedule.
As of last week with Niue and Rarotonga closing there were 4 longhouses closed at one time. Now there are 3. Tokelau should close on the 31st but Samoa should open this week if they stay on schedule. That will leave 3 longhouses closed until the last week of April when Aotearoa closes so at some point in April 4 longhouses could be closed. Again in May and June 4 could be closed at one time.

Not every longhouse will take the same amount since they are different sizes and some are getting new ADA and King bed rooms that will take longer.

Tonga 27 days
Aotearoa 55 days
Fiji 32 days
Tuvalu 31 days
Hawaii 67 days (took 67)
Samoa 48 days
Niue 55 days
Rarotonga 56 days
Tokelau 62 days
Tahiti 62 days
Rapa Nui 55 days

The thing that worries me is with all these longhouses closed there won't be enough rooms available to fill requests. I had read on your site that Tahiti is one of your favorites for LV. That is what I requested. We like the quiet, more private look. Since we won't be arriving until about 7:30 Sat evening (4/27) I'm not sure we will get our request. What other longhouses have good LV rooms if Tahiti is unavailable. The time we are there Tokelau will be under renovation. I really don't know that Tuvalu would be a good choice considering we'll have our 8 y.o. DGD with. I just don't care for the drop off in front. Plus really don't care for its location. What else would be available or suggested? Or being I paid for a LV and requested Tahiti do you think they will hold a room there even though we'll be checking in later evening? Thanks.

2000 ASMo 2005 POR 2006 AKL 2007 POR 2008 AKL/OKW 2013 POLY
Cindie-rella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
DisneyMom2Boyz
Mouseketeer

We're staying at the Poly arriving on 4/25 and have requested Tahiti also. We're paying for lagoon (like you). So they have to give you lagoon. Tahiti is a very quiet building and has alot of lagoon view rooms. They probably would put you there, also they're good on honoring requests.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
latexscooter

Quote:

Tonga 27 days
Aotearoa 55 days
Fiji 32 days
Tuvalu 31 days
Hawaii 67 days (took 67)
Samoa 48 days
Niue 55 days
Rarotonga 56 days
Tokelau 62 days
Tahiti 62 days
Rapa Nui 55 days
Thank you, Tikiman, you're the best. This helps me quite a bit. In 2007 we were booked to stay at AKL and they started a renovation when they were converting rooms for DVC. About a month before Disney contacted me and wanted to boot me over to the Beach Club. Fortunately I was able to stay and it was fine. I guess I'm a wee bit worried they would try to boot me again and I won't have it! We've waited for years to stay at the Poly and we've planned everything with that in mind. I just don't want the rug pulled out from under me at the last moment. Your note is reassuring.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
2gr8DisneyKids
DIS Veteran

Thinking about POLY for a night in late June (27th) after VB... looks like we might be down to all renovated or closed buildings. Am I correct? Would totally book it if that were the case, I am a sucker for the POLY and a sucker for a new room!

Also, any news on which buildings are down now?

Thanks so much!

POLY 1979, POLY 1990, Treehouse 1993, one-day visit 1996, DL OS 2000, CR 2007, CBR 2009, POLY (Princess 1/2) & 3-night DCL 2010, POP 2010, 7-night NYE Eastern DCL 2010, 2011 AKL/POP and BLT/BC and OKW, 2012 POFQ/Vero Beach and AKV, 2013 POP (Goofy Race and a Half) and Vero Beach/CSR, 2014 AoA (Minnie 10K)
2gr8DisneyKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
jennabcassell
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Tonga 27 days
Aotearoa 55 days
Fiji 32 days
Tuvalu 31 days
Hawaii 67 days (took 67)
Samoa 48 days
Niue 55 days
Rarotonga 56 days
Tokelau 62 days
Tahiti 62 days
Rapa Nui 55 days

So if I'm reading this right Tokelau will be closed during my trip 5/27 - 6/2!!! Any suggestions on another longhouse??

jennabcassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #11
Gillespiedisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Tonga 27 days
Aotearoa 55 days
Fiji 32 days
Tuvalu 31 days
Hawaii 67 days (took 67)
Samoa 48 days
Niue 55 days
Rarotonga 56 days
Tokelau 62 days
Tahiti 62 days
Rapa Nui 55 days
If I request Fiji marina side in November will that be an issue if the volcano pool is closed?? If so should I request another longhouse for standard view?
Gillespiedisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #12
baler31
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillespiedisney View Post
If I request Fiji marina side in November will that be an issue if the volcano pool is closed?? If so should I request another longhouse for standard view?
This thread is over a year old, all of the longhouse refurbs are complete. The construction going on now is DVC related as well as GCH and common areas. Fiji will not have any construction itself but there will be various closures and construction within the resort. I would look at the Poly thread for the most updated info.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: