Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
Hooked On The Mouse
DIS Veteran

Location: Thigh-high in snow half the year, up to the eyeballs in mosquitos the other half

We have stayed at both- AKL a bunch of times. It is our favourite of the 2. We liked Poly very much also, but we felt it was a little beat up inside the longhouses (there were some maintenance and wear and tear type issues, nothing extreme, but we didn't see anything like that at AKL). The grounds at Poly are gorgeous. What I liked best about Poly though was the ease of access to MK and Epcot-very convenient for those 2 parks.
AKL is gorgeous inside and out. If you are travelling as a party of 3, and if you don't have a vehicle, I would recommend Jambo over Kidani. I think it depends a lot on what your vacation focus is. If you're going to spend the majority of your time in the parks and very little at the resort, Poly will get you in and out of the 2 "big" parks a lot faster. If you want some resort time to relax and look around, AKL is much more quiet and relaxing.
Hooked On The Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #17
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToTravel2001 View Post
Oh my... Too much fabulous info about both resorts.
I like Poly for the location, we spend a lot of time in the parks and park hop. We also do the character meals at GF and Contemp, as well as Crystal Palace. I've visited and had several meals there. We did the character meal, the show, and Kona.
AKL sounds great. I would plan a Savannah view. I just wasn't sure how much animal viewing there actually was. It sounds like quite a bit if you are in the right location. It being 'far and out of the feel' makes me wonder. I like price a lot more
Food (we tend to do character meals and epcot) and shopping are not to important to us, nor is room size because as I mentioned, we are at the parks rope drop to bed drop.
Keep the suggestions coming. I love it.
We've stayed several times at AKL (CL) with a savanna view room -- there was never a time we didn't see animals -- of course sometimes there are more than others since they are allowed to wander around -- but honestly there are plenty of animals out there.

We think AKL is great for the animal and theming (and the price is better, too). Poly is better for transportation, and also better if you want to feel like you are at WDW 24/7 (we could see the castle from our room -- all lit up in pretty colors all night long). Honestly I love them both.

We have done several splits with AKL and the Poly -- so we got the best of both. I find it hard to choose between them.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #18
LoveToTravel2001
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatDisneyLover
As far as location goes, AKL is 5 minutes and not even that from AK. So basically your bus transportation would feel like you are going to AK - might help you decide if it would feel far out to you or not.
How far to the other parks? We usually only spend a half day at AK.
WDW - CBR 5/14 The Summit
LoveToTravel2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #19
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToTravel2001 View Post
How far to the other parks? We usually only spend a half day at AK.
Hmmmmm - off the cuff I would say you are looking at 30 minutes from AKL to MK - tops probably 45 minutes door to door. Epcot would be a little less than that and HS about the same as Epcot. DTD - I think would be 45 minutes.
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR * August 2014 Hong Kong Disneyland *
New Trip Report Hong Kong Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118
Trip Reports WDW and DLRP http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+reporthttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #20
bakie21
Go Phins

I like both and intend to stay at the Poly in the near future. The polys theme I love it feels very relaxed and laid back plus the location is awesome. It seems like everytime we choose our hotel the Poly is on the list but we go with something else YC(which I would argue is the best of all), Contemp, WL, and AKL this year. Wanted to do AKL this year as we are considering buying DVC points there if we like it.
bakie21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: