Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Laura's Dad
DIS Veteran

Back on the Boards MK Area Resort Question

It has been about 5 years since my last Disney vacation (and last posting). My wife and daughter were just in the Orlando area for Braves spring training and stayed at a Universal partner hotel because they were huge Harry Potter fans and wanted to see baseball and Harry Potter. They were not impressed by Universal and kept wanting to go stay at Disney. They made a trip to see Bob Jackson at PO-Riverside because we always do this in Orlando.

To make a long story short, my wife came home and said "Start planning the next Disney vacation" because she missed Disney so much last week. So, here I am. I used to be a regular on these boards when they first started (and my daughter was younger). Now she is a senior in college and we are planning a final getaway/graduation present for her, possibly in May of 2013. She has the itch to spend a couple of nights in a split stay at one of the Bay Lake resorts. We have stayed at both PO's (and loved them) and at the Beach Club and Beach Club Villas in the past, but with the Fantasyland expansion and the fact that we never have stayed on Bay Lake, I was looking for input into magical experiences at any of the resorts surrounding the MK. She really wants to stay at the Grand Floridian (we have eaten there several times) but was wondering if it is worth the extra $$$$$. Opinions please!
Laura's Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
MrsB919
Mouseketeer

Just my opinion but I'd say the Grand Floridian was worth it. I had always wanted to stay there and for our wedding/honeymoon we stayed there. It was beautiful. I found the grounds to be peaceful and enjoyed watching wishes from outside of Narcosses. The boat ride to and from Magic Kingdom was convenient. At night the line seemed shorter then for the monorail. I also enjoyed hanging out in the lobby and listening to the piano player. Since then we have been back for dinner and to visit and i always get that feeling of I'm home. I think if you are planning a big hoorah for her graduation this would be very memorable. Good luck with your planning

(Me) (Hubby) (Tanky) : (Ony) (Michey)
5/14- BCV, 9/13- CBR & DCL Fantasy, 9/12 -BWI,12/11 -POP, 9/11- Wedding & Honeymoon GF & DCL,
4/11,7/10,3/08 etc. (to many to count)- Offsite
MrsB919 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
Laura's Dad
DIS Veteran

I am leaning toward 2-3 days at the GF (depending on discounts). Thanks for your help.
Laura's Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

would go with Bay Lake Towers - it is a DVC resort - it is also the closer resort to the MK - you can walk over.

or the CR - it is next door to BLT and it has changed greatly since your last visit.

these resorts are around Seven Seas Lagoon - on the Bay Lake side - there is only WL/VWL, CR/BLT, FW and the brand new non-WDW resort - Four Seasons - it might be open by your trip.

DVC is putting up a new DVC at GF - so be aware of this construction.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
Robbi
DIS Veteran

We absolutely love the GF Royal Palm Court but did not like staying in the outer buildings. The new GF DVC is being constructed right now so that might really take away from the resort for y'all.
The Contemporary was fantastic!
We did not like the Poly because we thought the rooms were gloomy BUT DaddyBeast here on the DIS posted pictures of the newly renovated Poly rooms and they look bright and beautiful. We might have to give it another try.
Here is a link to the thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3079121
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at two monorail resorts (GF & Poly) and even though the Poly is our favorite of the two, we did enjoy the GF as it is a beautiful resort. It's convenient to MK as it's the first stop on the monorail and the views from around the resort are beautiful. There are also plenty of dining options at the resort as well as at the CR and Poly, which are both a quick monorail ride away. With that said, any of the monorail resorts would be a good choice. I would go with the one that the theme/decor appeals to you the most. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
jw50
I might make it sound more embarrasing that it really was
By definition all of the maelstrom women are hotties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura's Dad View Post
She really wants to stay at the Grand Floridian (we have eaten there several times) but was wondering if it is worth the extra $$$$$. Opinions please!
Since it is a graduation present for her, if the GF is within your budget and that is where she really wants to stay then I would say it is worth the cost. If you are only going to be there a couple of days and aren't going to be spending most of your time at the resort then the DVC construction shouldn't be a big deal.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
MindyMouse76
Mouseketeer

What about Wilderness Lodge?
MindyMouse76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

We have stayed at the GF, we were booked at the CR one year and a couple of weeks before we were to arrive, they called us and offered the GF at the same price.. We took it....

Wasn't what we expected as listing of their flag resort.... Did not like it, would rather have stayed at CR ( tried and true back then).... But WL just opened that year, we went, saw... Fell in law and tried to switch.... Next trip we stayed at WL and have not looked back....

GF is over priced for what you get.. Better resorts in area at less money!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: