Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
AmberLuvsWDW
Mouseketeer

We are facing the same issues in July. We are really excited to see this restaurant, but my DH is a very picky eater. Even though we are going to be on the dining plan, he is planning on getting the French Onion Soup and paying out of pocket for it. He will probably get something at Cosmic Rays after.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #17
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

I have been a bit hesitant about the menu at BOG. My husband and daughter are extremely picky. I know that myself and DS can find something to eat here because we are less picky and more open to trying different foods.

I plan to have DH & DD get the plain steak at dinner minus the vegetables. DD will also eat potato leek soup (go figure). They will also eat the desserts - Chocolate cupcake and the lemon cupcake.

I expect DS to order the Salmon. He loves it. I am thinking about the pork or sharing the salmon with DS. If I got the pork, I could give DD the baked mac & cheese. There are also rolls with butter, I know they will eat those.

DH keeps saying he will not like it. It drives me crazy when he says this because I just want him to try it because he might like it. I want to eat at Beasts Castle and get a picture with him. So I really want DH to be quiet and do it for me. So I guess the reason I have been hesitant is because DH says, He will not like it.

Good Luck! I say give it a try!

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 OKW - July 2015 AKV Kidani June 2016

Last edited by AlohaAnnie; 03-14-2013 at 05:37 PM.
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
serene56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAnnie View Post
DH keeps saying he will not like it. It drives me crazy when he says this because I just want him to try it because he might like it. I want to eat at Beasts Castle and get a pick with him. So I really want DH to be quiet and do it for me. So I guess the reason I have been hesitant is because DH says, He will not like it.

Good Luck! I say give it a try!

isnt it sad that he made up his mind before even stepping foot in the place?

I have always told my kids-- to at least try a food before making a decision based on how it sounds.

when i showed them the menu-- many people poo poo'd about pomme frites ewww. until I showed them its French Fries.. (LOL)
Old 03-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #19
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
My main hesitation for trying BOG (aside from the near impossibility of getting an ADR) is that I'm a bit of a signature snob when it comes to restaurants with gourmet theming.

That being said, I love many of the non-signature dining experiences at WDW. I love many of the character breakfasts. I love 'Ohana and Kona. I love Via Napoli. And I really like 50's Prime Time. I'd like to try Biergarten, Hoop Dee Doo, Teppan Edo, Sanaa, and Boma.

But none of these restaurants are trying to be gourmet (their themes don't require it) and I don't go into these places expecting gourmet-style food. But if I go into a gourmet-themed place, then I do expect food of at least a nominal gourmet-esque quality. And I view BOG as a gourmet-themed place.

In that regard, my experience with gourmet-themed non-signatures at WDW has been one of disappointment. In order avoid disappointment, I've learned to stick with the signatures (which usually meet, and sometimes exceed, my expectations). This has conditioned me to base my frame of reference of gourmet style with signature quality. Given that frame of reference, I'm highly skeptical that I won't be disappointed with BOG.
I suppose this all might depend on your definition of gourmet. (or gourmet theming ) Gourmet usually relates to those with a discriminating palate (probably the opposite of what Americans refer to as a "picky eater");a connoisser of fine food and drink involving high quality and skilled preparation. One might expect this at a signature restaurant.

I don't know why anyone would expect this at a regular TS restaurant. You would definitely be setting yourself up with unrealistic expectations. BOG is not a signature. It is not "gourmet-themed"(if there even is such a thing). It is French-inspired. Just like les Chefs de France is French (but hardly gourmet). I would be quite satisfied if this restaurant delivers what it advertises- rather basic everyday French styled cuisine that one might find at any neighbourhood bistro in France.

Last edited by minnie mum; 03-14-2013 at 11:51 AM.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #20
Kalea
Mouseketeer

I would encourage you to go, and if you want substitutions or accommodations (sauces on the side), then ask for it. You could also try letting the server know that you're a meat & potatoes type person and see what s/he recommends.

DH is sort of a picky eater. He likes all kinds of things (Indian, Moroccan, Thai, etc) but he kind of has to be conned into trying it for the first time. Once he does, he's usually hooked. We have done very well both in the States & abroad putting our meal in the hands of servers/chefs. I'm not sure how this would go at Disney, but it might be worth a shot?
Old 03-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #21
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

A lot of the hesitance seems to be that the menu LOOKS gourmet. But it's fish, roast chicken, steak, a pork chop and a veggie dish.

Pomme frites are french fries. Au gratin macaroni is macaroni and cheese. Leek fondue is big green onions cooked in butter and pureed.

And Sanaa is a one-credit restaurant that serves food that could belong at a signature (at least I think so). So it's not universal that one-credit restaurants should be written off by the serious foodies. Be Our Guest didn't strike me that way though, except for the appetizers, those were excellent.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #22
mom2my3kids
Doesn't believe in the Tag Fairy

Does not look that great to me..but then again we are not fancy eaters..

Dec 14-20th 2013
Daytona/Universal/MNSSHP Sept 2011
Sept 2009 8 nights Pop Century
Sept 22nd-Sept 30th 2007 POP
October 2006, OKW,POP 6 night trip..
mom2my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #23
tth5454
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV
No. It's a themed restaurant that sprung forth from "Beauty and the Beast", specifically the "Be Our Guest" song that features gourmet food. Do you really think that burgers and food court pasta would complete that theme? I'm sure you can find what you want at Cosmic Ray's. There is no rule that says that every new restaurant, no matter how popular, should cater to the fast food, cafeteria style eating.
We are doing lunch. My teens did not care for the dinner menu
tth5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #24
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

I can't imagine having a family that wouldn't like anything on the BOG dinner menu. They have roasted chicken, a steak and fries if nothing else. Im not saying that my family is better or anything so please dont take it that way. I am just glad i dont have those picky eaters in my group (DH, me and DD who will be 2.5 on our trip). I am looking forward to our ADR in May and hope to get one for Nov too.
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #25
shortchef
Mouseketeer

Most people should do well here. The food is good, not great but good. It is mostly plain (sauces are optional) with a catchy name and they were very agreeable to substitutions or changes. It is a snap to get a plain steak and French fries or roast chicken, plain salmon, and rolls with butter. I don't think that you can get plainer food than that. The place is so worth a visit we loved it!
shortchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #26
mare1203
Mouseketeer

I think you should consider what you are looking for in a dinner. If you want to eat at places with burgers and fries, then BOG is not going to be for you. I mean, you wouldn't go to the Biergarten if you didn't want German food. This doesn't strike me as much different except for the fact that it's a new restaurant. I don't think there's anything incredibly inventive on the menu; steak, chicken, salmon, pork. If you just want to look inside, then think about the lunch menu, which is more sandwiches. We've eaten there for lunch and thought it was good, though we wouldn't wait in the line again.
mare1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #27
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
isnt it sad that he made up his mind before even stepping foot in the place?

I have always told my kids-- to at least try a food before making a decision based on how it sounds.

when i showed them the menu-- many people poo poo'd about pomme frites ewww. until I showed them its French Fries.. (LOL)
It is sad.

He did the same thing about Boma for dinner. I made him try it. After dinner, he told me he never wanted to go back again. I thought it was very good and would return again but because he has made up his mind about it, he will not return.

There are so many restaurants I would like to try at Disney but since DH isn't interested we do not go to them.

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 OKW - July 2015 AKV Kidani June 2016
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #28
si-am
DIS Veteran

It isn't fancy. I guess it might SOUND fancy to some people for some strange reason, but it's really not. I loved the steak I had there, but honestly it was just really good steak and French fries.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #29
jennynwdw
Earning My Ears

BOG is great! The menu is misleading, at least for lunch. We had a turkey sandwich and fries on the first visit. We had a steak sandwich with Green beans on the second visit. We had the onion soup (yuck) and the potato soup (yummy) too. The serve yourself beverage station is a major plus. It is quite a wait for lunch though.
jennynwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #30
Dreamer87
Earning My Ears

BOG was amazing - I highly recommend it! We went for lunch and had the turkey sandwich/fries and the french onion soup. Although it wasn't too fancy, they serve it on real plates and a great overall appearance/taste. My husband and I were glad that we split everything, too - we agreed we would've been way too full with our own meals.

Even if the menu itself isn't too appealing to you, the experience is worth it - the ballroom where you sit is beautifully done and the servers bring your food out to you on a cart. BOG is considered quick service (at least for lunch), but they really do a great job in making it a bit more special.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: