Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:02 AM   #46
jm106
DIS Veteran

Good luck op- Asking for your own table is a good option.
I have a 7 year old boy and an almost 5, honestly I never consodered that we should/would be seated with boys or girls just children. It wouldnt matter, its dinner, a small portion of time in the trip. I wouldnt worry too much over things like that. Kids find a natural way to get along and you are their to open communication a bit if he needs help.
But like pp, my ods fav kid in class is a girl. Sure most boys tend towards the same things but they are kids, kids have things in comon overall and if you are open minded, he will be too I am sure.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #47
cgolf
DIS Veteran

I would roll the dice personally. My DD thankfully as a dad is a tomboy and would rather play catch than with dolls. Over our cruises, we have always been seated with boys, and interestingly it has been a mix, where some of the boys for lack of better words were more girly than she was.

Kids are kids and they tend to either get along or not regardless of gender, and even then that varies depending on the day especially when they hit the teens.

cgolf
Fantasy 1/13, 1/14
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #48
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

OP, It doesn't hurt to ask but I just would not depend on it. Maybe prepare your son for that in advance so he isn't disappointed. My children play equally with boys and girls, maybe because they are equally divided at home, but maybe not. I don't think they really see the difference between boy friends and girl friends. They just see friends. Also it isn't true that girls are not into "boy" stuff. I think that is an over generalization. I have an 11 year old girl who prefers ALL BOY stuff. She has never been "girly". She lives and breaths Star Wars. Loves Harry Potter. Refuses to wear dresses. Begs to wear her brother's boy jeans. Is sporty, outgoing, and smart. She had a Lord of the Rings birthday party this year and her best friend is a boy. You might just end up with a girl like her at the other end of the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMermaid View Post
I am a first grade teacher (although teaching kinder this year- and this year only!). I will say my really sporty boys tend to hang with really sporty boys (although there is always a girl or two ruffing it up on the soccer field right with them). And, the future "mean girls" tend to stick with girls. But other than that, they mix pretty well. Somedays the girls stick together, some days they all play together. My students last year frequently got a whole class conga line going at recess- girl or boy. Even the two polar groups, will and do play and interact with the other sex- just not as often. So, I don't find it super unusual to seat and girl and a boy of the same age together, in fact, I wouldn't even hardly look at that with 7 year olds. Maybe with the tween and up age group, once puberty and that associated shyness comes into play.
I completely agree. Only I think my tween will never be shy! She has "hit" that time but still prefers boys over girls. I am waiting for the day that will change but wonder if it is just her personality. She doesn't get it from me because I was a girly girl. Her little sister seems to be more like I was at that age. I think some girls have a lot wrapped up in that "I can do anything a boy can do" mentality. I think it gives them strength.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
Old 03-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #49
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Since OP got many good options and this seems to have turned into a gender debate it is being closed.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: