Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #1291
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
What do this year's refillable mugs look like? Anyone have a pic?
From the "One and Only Refillable Mug FAQ and Question Thread" at the top of the resort board.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....47967&page=102
Old 03-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #1292
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
From the "One and Only Refillable Mug FAQ and Question Thread" at the top of the resort board.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....47967&page=102
Ha ha you beat me lol.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #1293
Kenney Klan
Earning My Ears

Any suggestions of what rooms are better? Better view, better room? We are staying this May 2013 at Port Orleans for 4 days, just not sure what room to book. Any advice you an give me on the Port Orleans would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #1294
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney Klan View Post
Any suggestions of what rooms are better? Better view, better room? We are staying this May 2013 at Port Orleans for 4 days, just not sure what room to book. Any advice you an give me on the Port Orleans would be greatly appreciated.
That's kinda tough to answer because different people like different things. I would start out by looking over this awesome site.

http://portorleans.org/

And especially this page as it has great descriptions of all the different views and categories.

http://portorleans.org/room-requests.php
Old 03-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #1295
amybaud
Earning My Ears

It's getting really close to my 60 day mark and am trying to decide about online check in. I am booked in a river view room. My understanding is that they are fairly close to the food court and pool etc because they are at the front of their respective buildings and therefore on the main path. I'm thinking my only request would be AB section which has been noted on my original reservation. Trying to decide if I need to request anything else - close to main building(?). We aren't landing at MCO until 6:45 pm. Do I do online check in or not? Send a fax 5 days out or not? What's everyone's opinion?

Thanks in advance,
Amy

Me DH DS7

7/96 - CBR, 8/97 - off-site, 9/10 - AKL, 5/13 - POR
Old 03-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #1296
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybaud View Post
It's getting really close to my 60 day mark and am trying to decide about online check in. I am booked in a river view room. My understanding is that they are fairly close to the food court and pool etc because they are at the front of their respective buildings and therefore on the main path. I'm thinking my only request would be AB section which has been noted on my original reservation. Trying to decide if I need to request anything else - close to main building(?). We aren't landing at MCO until 6:45 pm. Do I do online check in or not? Send a fax 5 days out or not? What's everyone's opinion?

Thanks in advance,
Amy
Whether you do online check-in or not has zero affect on whether you get your requests met.

Definitely send a fax 5-6 days out. POR and POFQ are the only 2 resorts that still accept, or actually read, faxed requests. So might as well take advantage of that fact.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:03 AM   #1297
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's getting really close to my 60 day mark and am trying to decide about online check in. I am booked in a river view room. My understanding is that they are fairly close to the food court and pool etc because they are at the front of their respective buildings and therefore on the main path.
So....just to be really really specific, we had a corner room in Parterre (so not just river, but Royal river, and this might not pertain to your situation b/c I haven't looked at all types of rooms), and if we could have had a slide coming down from outside our room we would have been really close to the path. But the fact is, you have to walk *back* from where those rooms are, in order to get to the stairs to get to the path to get back to the front of the building to get to the path. Honestly I would have rather had a room away from the river view but closer to the staircases, especially since DH was injured, using a cane, and refusing a scooter.

That said, it was a really pretty view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
Whether you do online check-in or not has zero affect on whether you get your requests met.
Well, the online checkin form has specific things you can request; when I did it I requested a corner room, and that's exactly what we got, despite getting in well after 1am. I did not do the fax, by the way.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:54 AM   #1298
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
I am just saying heading to the parks the south depot is the best way to go.
That had always been my general advice too, but I tried one of the outer stops last trip and found it actually worked very well. If your room gives you easy access to one of the outer stops then they are definitely worth trying - especially for buses which have not already visited the South Depot (such as the MK service). Of course if we were having breakfast first and then heading straight off, South works best.

Coming back you need to weigh up the walking distance to your room versus the time saving from using whichever stop the bus gets to first. If the bus arrived at South first, we'd get off there; if it got to East first we'd use that one.

All I'm saying is if one of the outer stops is convenient (and you'll very often find that's the case) give it a try, they are usually a lot less crowded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouskemom View Post
I was looking at room diagrams for the alligator bayou and it seems there is really no place to keep your clothes. Is there really no dresser? Just the e little drawers under the Murphy bed?
Correct. There is quite a bit of space in those three drawers though, and some extra shelf-space on top of the banquette seat and beside the fridge. It was better than we expected, and we coped with four people in the room anyway. Five adults would struggle though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allboyhouse View Post
This year my sister and her girls are going so we have two royal rooms booked. What would I need to request to be a close distance to walk over to main building to food court? And how many days from arrival should we request? The boat to DTD can also be taken back to POR, correct? For some reason we have always taken the bus back. Lol
You'd request "close distance to walk over to main building to food court". Don't overthink it, just ask for what you want (rather than a specific location) which gives them the widest scope to help you. Send a fax 3-5 days before you arrive, but also make sure your requests are listed in your original booking too. See the FAQ in the first post.

The boat to DTD goes both ways, yes. It operates up to 11pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
What do this year's refillable mugs look like? Anyone have a pic?
Same as last year so far.

Quote:
You can't add much using online checkin, just a few tickboxes, but it's a good idea to go ahead and do it anyway, and it won't stop you faxing further details later. So yes, do online now and then send a fax if you wish at 5 days out. By all means ask for a room close to the main building - you might even get building 14 which would be great - but it's also worth having that added to your original booking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
So....just to be really really specific, we had a corner room in Parterre (so not just river, but Royal river, and this might not pertain to your situation b/c I haven't looked at all types of rooms), and if we could have had a slide coming down from outside our room we would have been really close to the path. But the fact is, you have to walk *back* from where those rooms are, in order to get to the stairs to get to the path to get back to the front of the building to get to the path.

Well, the online checkin form has specific things you can request; when I did it I requested a corner room, and that's exactly what we got, despite getting in well after 1am. I did not do the fax, by the way.
Too late now I know, but did you try walking the other way? From the 'wing' or building-end rooms in Parterre that you describe there are stairs at both ends of the wing block, so the absolute worst case should that the stairs are 4 rooms away.

I'm not sure how long 'Corner Room' will stay on the online request forms. It's a great idea, but so great that apparently pretty much everyone now selects it - and as there just aren't enough corner rooms to go round it might mean more people are disappointed rather than getting their requests met.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 03-14-2013 at 03:24 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #1299
amybaud
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. This threaded great!!

Me DH DS7

7/96 - CBR, 8/97 - off-site, 9/10 - AKL, 5/13 - POR
Old 03-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #1300
loganjared
Mouseketeer

I had a CM tell me that resorts make room assignments 2 days before check in and to call the front desk of the resort at that time to make room requests.

6/1994 Honeymoon CBR; 6/2004 DS's first trip/10 yr anniversary CBR; 6/2005 ASMo; 2/2007 ASSp; 6/2009 15 yr anniversary ASMo; 6/2010 POFQ; 6/2011 POFQ

Old 03-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #1301
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganjared View Post
I had a CM tell me that resorts make room assignments 2 days before check in and to call the front desk of the resort at that time to make room requests.
Another ill advising CM! They actually make room assignments and plan up to a week out. That way we can try to accommodate requests without backing ourselves into a corner. What I would do is fax my template in 7-10 days out and if you don't get a call or email back don't worry about it. But if you do get a notification yay! But if you absolutely need to try and reach the resort then PM me when it gets down to that time frame. But I would just send the fax.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #1302
loganjared
Mouseketeer

I'll do that. Thank you.

1 CM told me alligator bayou is closest to the main building but from the map it looks like either side had buildings equally close. Would I be more likely to get close if I just say close to main building than if I get to specific by requesting AB by main building. My thought is them there focus would be AB and I could get at the far end if that area.
Thoughts??

6/1994 Honeymoon CBR; 6/2004 DS's first trip/10 yr anniversary CBR; 6/2005 ASMo; 2/2007 ASSp; 6/2009 15 yr anniversary ASMo; 6/2010 POFQ; 6/2011 POFQ

Old 03-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #1303
tcleveland65
Earning My Ears

Question

My family will be staying at POR June 17th-21st and will be flying in to MCO. So my question is, our flight lands at 11:30am and I don't know what to do about lunch. We will have DD7 and DS4, who will have been up since about 5am to make our flight. Can we eat in the airport? Will we miss our ME ride to the resort? I'm not sure my little monsters will be able to wait to eat without a melt down.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #1304
lillykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Another ill advising CM! They actually make room assignments and plan up to a week out. That way we can try to accommodate requests without backing ourselves into a corner. What I would do is fax my template in 7-10 days out and if you don't get a call or email back don't worry about it. But if you do get a notification yay! But if you absolutely need to try and reach the resort then PM me when it gets down to that time frame. But I would just send the fax.
Wait so Venomhatch you suggest we fax our request 7-10 days out? I thought they were saying to fax it 3-5 days out?
May 2013 POR Princess Trip! May 2010 POLY DD#2's 1st birthdaySept 2008 POLY - DD#1's 1st tripApril 2004 - AKL honeymoonJanuary 2002 at AKL
Old 03-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #1305
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcleveland65
My family will be staying at POR June 17th-21st and will be flying in to MCO. So my question is, our flight lands at 11:30am and I don't know what to do about lunch. We will have DD7 and DS4, who will have been up since about 5am to make our flight. Can we eat in the airport? Will we miss our ME ride to the resort? I'm not sure my little monsters will be able to wait to eat without a melt down.
You wouldn't miss your ME ride since they run them continuously. Go and eat! Way better than a meltdown on your first day!
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: