Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #16
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,582
DISboards Moderator

I agree with everyone. The Underground Tour from Pioneer Square is really fun, and a total must do! The Aquarium is really nice, and Pike Place Market is really, really great (and really delicious!) Make sure you catch them throwing fish at the Fish Market!

I'm going to add one more, to do lunch at the restaurant atop the Space Needle. No, the food isn't fabulous (but it's not bad). It's the view that is wonderful! The restaurant rotates 360 degrees and you can just sit there & have a spectacular "show" while you eat! Also, admission to the observation deck is free if you eat there.

Sayhello

Last edited by sayhello; 03-13-2013 at 04:22 PM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
chrisrunty
DIS Veteran
 
chrisrunty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington
Posts: 546

Also consider the Museum of Flight...

It's a bit of a trek, but the Museum of Flight in Georgetown/South Seattle is a great place to see aviation, space, science stuff.

If you want a fantastic sandwich, and are near or in Pike Place Market, make sure you get the pork sandwich at "Rub with Love". It's famous Seattle chef Tom Douglass' sandwich and rubs shop kitty corner from the North end of the market. To. Die. For.

[posting: chrisrunty's DH]

Also, a short walk away from King Street Station (assuming that's where you catch the train) is Tat's Deli, about four blocks north of KSS. Great east coast style deli in downtown Seattle. In the same vicinity, you can also go up to the observation deck in the Smith Tower. Less touristy and busy than the Space Needle, could be something to do before boarding the train...

Last edited by chrisrunty; 03-13-2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Added note about Tat's Deli
chrisrunty is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #18
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!
 
Luv2Diz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Great Northwest
Posts: 1,169

We spent 2 days in Seattle pre-cruise last summer. We always enjoy Pike Place Market and the area around it. The waterfront is fun to walk along and has a variety of restaurants. The area around the Space Needle is enjoyable.

We stayed at the Maxwell Hotel and really enjoyed. It's in a great location just north of the Space Needle in the Queen Anne district. Modern hotel, quiet and free secure parking!
__________________
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
Pixiedusted Mom
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 3

Smile

I live north of Seattle and travel down there a few times a year.
Must do the Pikes Place market. We always eat at the Piroshky in Pikes place.
duck tour is great fun
Pacific Science Center with the space needle is a must
For something different you can try the ifly indoor skydiving center. It's located near the airport. It's not cheap but an awesome experience. Both my daughters ages 7 and 16 loved it. I enjoyed it too. You must get reservations.
When we want to splurge we stay at the Marriott on the waterfront.
Have fun! Hope you get good weather!
Pixiedusted Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #20
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 12,052

Ok, maybe we're oddballs but here's what we did. We had 2 days pre cruise last summer. We really aren't 'city people' and before arriving dh kept saying he didn't want to stay downtown & do city touring. Also the hotels downtown were crazy high. So we stayed at the Hilton right next to the airport. It wasn't the greatest hotel but our kids, then 15 & 12, were so happy that they offer rooms with 2 king beds. So nice to not hear them bicker & it was only $134/nt with the prepaid rate. We were spending a ton on Alaskan excursions and just couldn't go crazy in Seattle too.

The day we arrived we visited the Space Needle which did take longer than we anticipated. On a Saturday evening the wait was probably 1 hr. Dh & kids fell in love with the whole city and agreed we should return again someday to see more. After seeing Mt. Rainier from atop the SN, they all agreed we should visit there the next day.
The one thing I wanted to do is visit the Boeing factory so we squeezed that in early the next morning. It's about 1/2 drive north of Seattle but it was neat to see. From there we drove to Mt. Rainier and enjoyed amazing views, wildlife & even some glaciers. It was approximately a 14 hr day to do both so by then we were all exhausted and glad to drop off the car & relax a bit before heading to the port in the am.

Have fun planning.
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #21
TwingleMomFl
Mouseketeer
 
TwingleMomFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
Ok, maybe we're oddballs but here's what we did. We had 2 days pre cruise last summer. We really aren't 'city people' and before arriving dh kept saying he didn't want to stay downtown & do city touring. Also the hotels downtown were crazy high. So we stayed at the Hilton right next to the airport. It wasn't the greatest hotel but our kids, then 15 & 12, were so happy that they offer rooms with 2 king beds. So nice to not hear them bicker & it was only $134/nt with the prepaid rate. We were spending a ton on Alaskan excursions and just couldn't go crazy in Seattle too.

The day we arrived we visited the Space Needle which did take longer than we anticipated. On a Saturday evening the wait was probably 1 hr. Dh & kids fell in love with the whole city and agreed we should return again someday to see more. After seeing Mt. Rainier from atop the SN, they all agreed we should visit there the next day.
The one thing I wanted to do is visit the Boeing factory so we squeezed that in early the next morning. It's about 1/2 drive north of Seattle but it was neat to see. From there we drove to Mt. Rainier and enjoyed amazing views, wildlife & even some glaciers. It was approximately a 14 hr day to do both so by then we were all exhausted and glad to drop off the car & relax a bit before heading to the port in the am.

Have fun planning.
we have reserved a hotel at the airport too, I am hoping to get something in the city if the prices go down. But like you said, I have spent tons of cruise, airfare, and port adventures. I need to save somewhere.

Was it easy to get in and out of the city? Did you do it by car?

How long of a drive was it to Mt. Rainier?

I am sure I will be happy for that first sea day when I can sleep and relax!
__________________
TwingleMomFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #22
stepknees
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bellevue WA
Posts: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
The one thing I wanted to do is visit the Boeing factory so we squeezed that in early the next morning. It's about 1/2 drive north of Seattle but it was neat to see. From there we drove to Mt. Rainier
Whoa, that IS a crazy long day!

I agree with everyone else's suggestions, with a +1 for a Mariners game and the Museum of Flight. Mt. Rainier is fantastic, although if you're there too early in the summer many things will still be snowbound. And I'd advise against doing anything else in a Mt. Rainier day, despite the PP's experience

One other good option is to take a ferry ride from downtown to Bainbridge Island. It's a beautiful ride, and you can walk around town a bit on the other side (get ice cream from Mora) before heading back.
stepknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #23
TheWalsh
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 44

We went, got city passes, they were great. Admission into a lot of things, but don't bother with a car, they have great public transport, and is cheaper tha paying for parking. Plus you can feel great and eat what you want on the ship because you walked alot
TheWalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #24
NWmom
DIS Veteran
 
NWmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,027

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrunty View Post
I live here. These are some of our favorites:
1. The new Ferris Wheel... so cool and worth the price.
2. Pike's Market... something for everyone. Go hungry!
3. Aquarium
4. Pacific Science center with a ride up to the Space Needle... Bring your camera.
5. Walk along the piers, Take the 2 hour Argosy Cruise to learn about Seattle
6. Ride the Ducks

These are what I think would be most age appropriate for you and your kids.
I add the Underground Tour to the list.
__________________
DVC Member since 1997 Alaska Disney Wonder 5/24/2011, Fantasy Western12/8/2012 & Eastern 12/15/2012
NWmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #25
tajz90
Mama D
 
tajz90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,434

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWmom

I add the Underground Tour to the list.
I second this.

We loved the tour It was our favorite thing we did.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 AM   #26
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran
 
CruznLexi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,153

Duck tour. The Boeing tour. We stayed at the Silver Cloud Lake Inion they have a nice breakfas and have free transporation. The aquarium is fun too. Ivars both the Long house on Lake Union and The one by the piers the sea hills will eat out of your hands. Visit the old Curiosity house .
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:03 AM   #27
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,328

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
I agree with everyone. The Underground Tour from Pioneer Square is really fun, and a total must do! The Aquarium is really nice, and Pike Place Market is really, really great (and really delicious!) Make sure you catch them throwing fish at the Fish Market!

I'm going to add one more, to do lunch at the restaurant atop the Space Needle. No, the food isn't fabulous (but it's not bad). It's the view that is wonderful! The restaurant rotates 360 degrees and you can just sit there & have a spectacular "show" while you eat! Also, admission to the observation deck is free if you eat there.

Sayhello
Ditto the underground tour. We've been to Seattle twice and 1st time was not fun, but the best thing we did was the tour (and I am NOT a tour person).

Also, eat at Restaurant Zoe, Really great. http://www.yelp.com/biz/restaurant-z...%20restaurants

Pike's Place Chowder, and of course the crab cocktails from Pike's Place market (any of the stands). Yum.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:20 AM   #28
jpeppers
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Shelton, Wa
Posts: 774

I've lived in the area for years and my suggestions would start with the space needle and everything at the Seattle Center and the waterfront but I agree with a previous poster who rented a car and went to Mt. Rainier, incredible experience and not that far. The ferry rides are also great and not very expensive.
jpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #29
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 12,052

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwingleMomFl View Post
we have reserved a hotel at the airport too, I am hoping to get something in the city if the prices go down. But like you said, I have spent tons of cruise, airfare, and port adventures. I need to save somewhere.

Was it easy to get in and out of the city? Did you do it by car?

How long of a drive was it to Mt. Rainier?

I am sure I will be happy for that first sea day when I can sleep and relax!
I didn't find it difficult driving in the Seattle area. From the airport, it wasn't far to get on I-5 north. We brought our GPS which was a huge help. IIRC it was around 1.5 hrs to get there. As you enter the NP, they give you a guide to things to see around the park. We mostly stopped along the way a few times to see waterfalls and take pics. Not really time for hiking and such.
The Hilton offered a free shuttle to SEA so after we checked in we returned to there for the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepknees View Post
Whoa, that IS a crazy long day!

I agree with everyone else's suggestions, with a +1 for a Mariners game and the Museum of Flight. Mt. Rainier is fantastic, although if you're there too early in the summer many things will still be snowbound. And I'd advise against doing anything else in a Mt. Rainier day, despite the PP's experience

One other good option is to take a ferry ride from downtown to Bainbridge Island. It's a beautiful ride, and you can walk around town a bit on the other side (get ice cream from Mora) before heading back.
Yes it was a long day but when you only have 1.5 days to see so much in a place so far from home, I couldn't see us sitting around the hotel room.
I think we got up around 7 am, headed out by 8 and finished the Boeing tour by 11:00. It lasts less than 1 hr. We stopped for a quick lunch and started our drive to Mt. Rainier. I think we were back to the airport area by 9pm.

The funny thing was we returned the car rental, then hopped on the Hilton shuttle to return to our room. As we made more stops in SEA, we picked up my parents as their flight had just arrived from PHL. They were so surprised to see us already in the van.
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: