Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #31
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4butlers View Post
Completely agree with this! My 9 yo son's best friend for the last couple years is a little girl in his class. But with them, it's Minecraft, Pokemon and baseball/softball!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #32
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #33
lorenni
DIS Veteran

It's not off topic when the OPs point was that disney sat them with a girl child instead of a boy child. I think we're trying to show her that boys are girls compatible in the eyes of whoever assigns tables.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #34
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenni View Post
It's not off topic when the OPs point was that disney sat them with a girl child instead of a boy child. I think we're trying to show her that boys are girls compatible in the eyes of whoever assigns tables.

Ohhh...is that what he/she was saying? Sorry. And I agree with you.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #35
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

I am a first grade teacher (although teaching kinder this year- and this year only!). I will say my really sporty boys tend to hang with really sporty boys (although there is always a girl or two ruffing it up on the soccer field right with them). And, the future "mean girls" tend to stick with girls. But other than that, they mix pretty well. Somedays the girls stick together, some days they all play together. My students last year frequently got a whole class conga line going at recess- girl or boy. Even the two polar groups, will and do play and interact with the other sex- just not as often. So, I don't find it super unusual to seat and girl and a boy of the same age together, in fact, I wouldn't even hardly look at that with 7 year olds. Maybe with the tween and up age group, once puberty and that associated shyness comes into play.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:20 AM   #36
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Alright everyone needs to calm down. Geez. All I meant was that my son would be better paired with some boys rather than girls for obvious reasons. I dont want to start a gender fight with anyone. My son is very sociable and has a bunch of female friends at school that he loves to play with. But I know, since I am his parent that if a boy around his age sat with us, he would be a little more excited. I know my son more than all of you so I'm sure you will agree that I know what makes me happier. If a girl is placed at our table, he will try to make friends with her in the same manner as if it was a boy. It would not deter him from being friendly and making friends with her. But at his age right now (7) odds are that he will create more of a comraderie with a boy. It is natural to feel more comfortable with those that you have more in common with. For example, when on our honeymoon we sat with other honeymooners and had a blast. We had a lot in common having just gotten married. It's not rocket science.

ME DH DS
Disneyland- hundreds of times
Disneyland Hotel 6/05,12/05
Disney Fairytale Wedding@Disneyland 6/05
WDW 2/04, 6/05, 5/12, 10/14, 10/15
Port Orleans Riverside 2/04 & 6/05
All Star Movies Resort 5/12
Coronado Springs 10/9/14
Port Orleans French Quarter 9/30/15
Disney Wonder 6/05
Disney Dream 4/12
Disney Fantasy 10/18/14 & 10/10/15
Old 03-14-2013, 01:23 AM   #37
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMermaid View Post
I am a first grade teacher (although teaching kinder this year- and this year only!). I will say my really sporty boys tend to hang with really sporty boys (although there is always a girl or two ruffing it up on the soccer field right with them). And, the future "mean girls" tend to stick with girls. But other than that, they mix pretty well. Somedays the girls stick together, some days they all play together. My students last year frequently got a whole class conga line going at recess- girl or boy. Even the two polar groups, will and do play and interact with the other sex- just not as often. So, I don't find it super unusual to seat and girl and a boy of the same age together, in fact, I wouldn't even hardly look at that with 7 year olds. Maybe with the tween and up age group, once puberty and that associated shyness comes into play.
I agree with you. I am a junior high teacher so it's a bit different in my class. My son has a group of boys he likes to play with at recess and they tend to stay together. Once in a while, he will tell me that they played with some of the girls. But it's once in a while. Not all the time. Mostly, the boys like to hang out together.

ME DH DS
Coronado Springs 10/9/14
Disney Wonder 6/05
Disney Dream 4/12
Old 03-14-2013, 01:29 AM   #38
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Holy stereotype, batman! Maybe you were into princesses and Barbie, but a LOT of little girls like cars, pirates, superheroes, cowboys, aliens, etc.
Well, actually YES. I was into princesses and Barbie and not at all into cars, pirates or superheroes. And yes, I know that "some" not "a lot" of girls like cars, pirates and superheroes. But typically, most girls tend to like princesses and Barbies and boys tend to like cars, pirates etc... That's just the way it is. You can label it "stereotype" if it makes you feel better. But a fact is a fact. I'm a teacher and I have observed children of all ages and in my experience I have seen what I stated is true.
My son happens to be a boy who has liked cars, pirates, cowboys, superheroes etc.... from the start. We didn't push him one way or another. He just showed more interest in that stuff from the beginning.

ME DH DS
Coronado Springs 10/9/14
Disney Wonder 6/05
Disney Dream 4/12
Old 03-14-2013, 01:32 AM   #39
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
The playground at my daughter's school would beg to differ. While I would agree that some limited gender dynamics are probably based in fundamental biology, the majority of the social gender binary in the US is artificially created by the culture in which the kids live.
I respectfully completely disagree with you. I realize this is the nature vs nurture debate. In this case, I lean towards nature.

ME DH DS
Coronado Springs 10/9/14
Disney Wonder 6/05
Disney Dream 4/12
Old 03-14-2013, 02:43 AM   #40
MyYearWithTheMouse
Disneyland In A Year!

This is interesting because I'm debating the idea myself. We are concierge so I don't know if we will get our own table, though I suspect that that level if we request it, it will be granted. On our first cruise it was Me, DH, and DS2 and the first night we sat with another couple with a DD who was 2, but they had requested first seating and were accommodated so the other nights we had the table to ourselves. On the one hand, DH and I have enjoyed shared tables on other cruises. On the other, DD (who will be 2) is very much a "monkey see, monkey do" child and will imitate inappropriate behavior, and I worry about another child demonstrating that to her--she gets enough inspiration from her own brother!

Shelby, head My Year With The Mouseketeer
Old 03-14-2013, 02:44 AM   #41
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalelover
Last time we went, our tablemates not only never showed up but we found out that they had a young daughter instead of a son. We have a 7 year old boy and we know that he would have enjoyed meeting a new friend at our table. Is there a way to request being assigned to a table with boys our son's age? I know we can't do anything about the family not showing up
To answer your question simply, no. There really isn't a way to do this. If you have a travel agent, they can put in a request for you, but odds are it won't happen.

Or...you could request your own table, that request is more likely to be fulfilled.

Or....you could go to the room they have set up on the day you board, for making dining changes, and see if they can help you.
But the best suggestion so far was for you to get involved in the Meets Thread for your cruise and see if there's another family with a boy your son's age. Someone else

SORRY....SEE NEXT POST...my phone and fingers messed up.

Last edited by justmestace; 03-14-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:49 AM   #42
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalelover
Last time we went, our tablemates not only never showed up but we found out that they had a young daughter instead of a son. We have a 7 year old boy and we know that he would have enjoyed meeting a new friend at our table. Is there a way to request being assigned to a table with boys our son's age? I know we can't do anything about the family not showing up
To answer your question simply, no. There really isn't a way to do this. If you have a travel agent, they can put in a request for you, but odds are it won't happen.

Or...you could request your own table, that request is more likely to be fulfilled.

Or....you could go to the room they have set up on the day you board, for making dining changes, and see if they can help you.
But the best suggestion so far was for you to get involved in the Meets Thread for your cruise and see if there's another family with a boy your son's age. Someone else is bound to have a boy who'd be excited to know he'd be sitting with another "guy". You don't have to join in all the activities they might come up with, like the Fish Extender gifts, etc, but if they make a list of who's going and ages of kids, you might find a good fit. You could PM the other family and discuss linking your dining.
Good luck!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:50 AM   #43
justmestace

Sorry for the double (half) post. Stupid phone and fat fingers!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:55 AM   #44
justmestace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyYearWithTheMouse
This is interesting because I'm debating the idea myself. We are concierge so I don't know if we will get our own table, though I suspect that that level if we request it, it will be granted. On our first cruise it was Me, DH, and DS2 and the first night we sat with another couple with a DD who was 2, but they had requested first seating and were accommodated so the other nights we had the table to ourselves. On the one hand, DH and I have enjoyed shared tables on other cruises. On the other, DD (who will be 2) is very much a "monkey see, monkey do" child and will imitate inappropriate behavior, and I worry about another child demonstrating that to her--she gets enough inspiration from her own brother!
You won't automatically be seated alone because you have a suite. That info was false. BUT...you are correct, your request for a private table will be granted if it is at all possible. Rarely would it not be.
You should ask well ahead of your sail date, via shoreside concierge. If you don't manage to relay it ahead of time, you can ask them to move you when you meet with the staff onboard first thing. But better to not wait that long.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #45
cgolf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace

When did they change this??

We've almost always cruised concierge level, and unless we arranged to be seated with friends, we weren't put at a table by ourselves. Ever.

And according to your signature, your last DCL cruise was the same year as mine.
When we upgraded last fall we called shoreside concierge to request that we get early dining and our own table with us and the res we were linked to. We were told this happened the instant we upgraded to concierge. It could be that this happened because we were a group of four?
Fantasy 1/13, 1/14
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: