Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #16
linkandclover
Mouseketeer

I am always surprised by this as we have taken eight cruises and never shared our table with anyone. Is this something you ask for or do they just do it? We also onlt take second seating so maybe there are fewer people at that time.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
Barkell
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
The playground at my daughter's school would beg to differ. While I would agree that some limited gender dynamics are probably based in fundamental biology, the majority of the social gender binary in the US is artificially created by the culture in which the kids live.
:
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #18
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

My 7 year old daughters best friend is a little boy in her class. When two kids have Angry Birds and Star Wars in common gender doesn't seem to matter much.

After our cruise I became a believer in Disney's ability to match up table mates. Our family of four was seated with another family of four. Their kids were slightly older than mine and they never really got to talking all that much. Our first night together was a little awkward but by the last night we were among the last people to leave the restaurant because we were talking and having such a great time together. We even became facebook friends. I'm glad I didn't go through with my initial idea of requesting our own table.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
Old 03-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #19
4butlers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjje
My 7 year old daughters best friend is a little boy in her class. When two kids have Angry Birds and Star Wars in common gender doesn't seem to matter much.
Completely agree with this! My 9 yo son's best friend for the last couple years is a little girl in his class. But with them, it's Minecraft, Pokemon and baseball/softball!

2003-DLR; 2004-DLR; 2006-DLR
2011-WDW POR; 2011-DCL Dream Bahamas
2013-WDW POR; 2013-DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
Old 03-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #20
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkandclover View Post
I am always surprised by this as we have taken eight cruises and never shared our table with anyone. Is this something you ask for or do they just do it? We also onlt take second seating so maybe there are fewer people at that time.
It may have to do with size of your party. Or if you sail Concierge. Concierge always gets their own table, unless they request otherwise.

Our first 3 cruises (just DH & I) we were seated at an 8 top, an 8 top, and a 6 top, all with other couples within 5-6 years of our age range.

Our next cruise (5 of us) we had our own 6 top.

Next, (3 of us - DH, me, DS19), we were seated at an 8 top with a mom, her DD15, DS16, DD 20, and DGS3.

And our last cruise (6 of us, all adult couples) had our own table.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 03-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #21
Tower
DIS Veteran

On our last cruise, there were 5 of us on a low-occupancy November cruise. I requested through my TA that we have a private table. To my initial dismay, there was couple with a DS11 (same age as our DS) at our table too. Before I even met them, I told the head server that we had requested a private table. I was promised that we'd have one by our next seating.

Well, we got along well with the other couple, and their son and our son got along well too, so they liked to chum around, so right after that dinner, I told the head waiter to scuttle that request. That family skipped one dinner so they could go to Palo, and they accidentally missed their character breakfast with us, but otherwise we had a great time together!

We'll still likely request a private table on our next cruise, but we're pretty easy going. Our kids are pretty well behaved, but I do get upset if another child is spoiled and unruly, therefore impacting another family's vacation.

Past Disney Visits:
Mar 28-Apr 5, 2004 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 10-16, 2006 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 8-14, 2008 - WDW All Star Movies Resort
Dec 3-12, 2009 - CBR & Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Tour!
Feb 1-10, 2012 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 10-17, 2012 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean to Grand Cayman & Cozumel!
Nov 8-15, 2013 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Old 03-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #22
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkandclover
I think Disney is moving away from the shared table concept. My DH and I just cruised on the Magic and were noticing how many 4-top tables there are now compared to the mainly 6- and 8-tops that were around 10 years ago. On the survey they sent me last week, it specifically asked if we had been seated with people we didn't know. My guess is that its been an issue one too many times so they're making changes to accommodate guest feedback.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #23
linkandclover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
It may have to do with size of your party. Or if you sail Concierge. Concierge always gets their own table, unless they request otherwise.

Our first 3 cruises (just DH & I) we were seated at an 8 top, an 8 top, and a 6 top, all with other couples within 5-6 years of our age range.

Our next cruise (5 of us) we had our own 6 top.

Next, (3 of us - DH, me, DS19), we were seated at an 8 top with a mom, her DD15, DS16, DD 20, and DGS3.

And our last cruise (6 of us, all adult couples) had our own table.
We have always travelled as 4 people with no requests in place and never been concierge.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #24
holula
DIS Veteran

We always travel as just a couple (BF and me) and have had a 6-top, an 8-top where only one other party turned up (so only four of us), a full 8-top and once a 4-top to ourselves! We didn't request it, it just happened. However we like sitting with others - it makes it more interesting t dinner!
Eurodisney/Disneyland Paris: 1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011; Disneyland Resort: 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (x2), 2011, 2012; Walt Disney World: 2011, 2012 (x2), 2013 (x4), 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
Disney Wonder: 2012 Alaska, 2013 Bahamas; Disney Dream: 2012 Bahamas (x2); Disney Fantasy: 2013 Eastern, 2014 Western; Disney Magic: 2014 Bahamas (Wedding!), 2014 Southern Caribbean
Hilton Head Island Resort: 2013

Upcoming
Walt Disney World: 2014
Disney Magic: 2015 EB Transatlantic Disney Wonder: 2014 Xmas Western
Old 03-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #25
lorenni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalelover
Not many girls are into spiderman, cars and cowboys like my son is into.
Holy stereotype, batman! Maybe you were into princesses and Barbie, but a LOT of little girls like cars, pirates, superheroes, cowboys, aliens, etc.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #26
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenni View Post
Holy stereotype, batman! Maybe you were into princesses and Barbie, but a LOT of little girls like cars, pirates, superheroes, cowboys, aliens, etc.
I agree my DDs love Ironman, Spider-Man etc., with Batman as their favorite
Old 03-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #27
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Holy stereotype, batman!

I would be really disappointed in my 8 year old son if he wouldn't make friends with a girl tablemate (or vice versa). (and disappointed in myself as well) He's in a ton of classes at the Y with girls (two years he's the only boy in his ballet class), and while there tends to be a mob "ew icky" mentality when it's a bunch of girls and just him (and vice versa with a group of boys and one girl), especially before they know him better, one-on-one girls and boys tend, in his experience, to be about the same.

It's always nice when kids take an interest in what other kids are doing; he would probably introduce Captain America to a child (girl or boy) who doesn't know about the Marvel heroes, and would be happy to play what she wanted to play (he just said "just in case I would bring my Merida doll"...Merida is one of his heroes and he now has TWO Meridas that has great adventures along with Buzz and Zurg) or talk about what she wanted to talk about.

But because of this thread I now understand why it was just the 3 of us at our table on the Dream, since we were in a 00V room.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #28
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
You just described my girls! Princesses, Barbies, cars, superheroes (The Avengers is their current favorite movie and the Percy Jackson series are their favorite books), and aliens (Doctor Who is their favorite TV show). My girls are eight. They play with boys and girls but will pick girls over boys all other things being equal. But they have lots of friends who are boys.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #29
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

LOL! This thread made me remember how DD didn't have a doll until she was almost 2. DS shared a couple of his Rescue Heros with her and she loved them. They lasted through her teething pretty well too. Today it seems that every single child we know is into Minecraft. It's the new universal kid language since Pokemon.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
Old 03-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #30
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

When did they change this??

We've almost always cruised concierge level, and unless we arranged to be seated with friends, we weren't put at a table by ourselves. Ever.

And according to your signature, your last DCL cruise was the same year as mine.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: