Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #46
Luv2trav
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
While Anthonys death was an accident, it appears to ME from what Ive read about it that a lifeguard at the pool would have had him out sooner, if there had been one on duty. It was several minutes that he was underwater before his cousin pulled him out, according to every source. So, while it was an accident, and rare, I think Disney should investigate having someone there at all times that the pool is open.
What about the quiet pools?? There is NEVER a life guard on duty. I don't agree anything needs to change. People should know if they are swimming without life guards they need to be extra diligent watching their children. Had they noticed then they just as a life guard would have pulled him out sooner. Unfortunately accidents happen. My heart goes out to this family...
2011-Nov/Dec SSR
2011 March/April-Beach Club Villas and AKV..
2010-March/April Pop/BWV/Poly
2009-June AKV Kidani
2008-June BCV
2007-Dec SSR Joined DVC-8/2007 AKV! May 2007 VB, SSR and VWL 2 bedroom May 2006 SSR 2 bedroom! October 2005 Contemporary February 2005 AKL Sav View May/June 2004 POFQ/POLY March 2003 Off Site
Luv2trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #47
momof4minnies
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
While Anthony’s death was an accident, it appears to ME from what I’ve read about it that a lifeguard at the pool would have had him out sooner, if there had been one on duty. It was several minutes that he was underwater before his cousin pulled him out, according to every source. So, while it was an accident, and rare, I think Disney should investigate having someone there at all times that the pool is open.
The pools are always "open" because there is always access. However, the pool hours for a lifeguard on duty are 10am-8pm and unfortunately this happened at around 9:30 pm.

I do agree with you this seems to have been an accident. I can't even begin to imagine the heartache the family is going thru. Thoughts and prayers are all I can offer.

1971 WDW opening year
several visits to DL as a wee one
Oct 1998 Poly
Jun 2000 CBR
Aug 2001 CR
Jul 2003 CR
June 2004 GF CL
Jun 2005 CR CL
Jul 2007 GF CL
Nov 2008 WL CL
Jun 2009 DL Hyatt
Nov 2011 WL CL - DD Sweet 16

NEXT TRIP JUN 2013 BW CL - 2nd DDs SWEET 16
momof4minnies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #48
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Just a comment on the No Diving:

When Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan had their show at WDW, Jon Cryer was one of their guests. He related a story of one of his last stays at WDW in a Disney resort. He said he dove into the pool and cracked his mouth on the bottom of the pool resulting in breaking his two front teeth. He complained that Disney pools weren't deep enough.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #49
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetymom View Post
The boy died this afternoon. Prayers go out to his family.
Oh no!!!! That's so sad!!! I was already extremely anal about watching my son when he is swimming but this is gonna make me never ever take my eyes off of him!! I pray for this family....

ME DH DSDisneyland(hundreds of times) Disneyland Hotel 6/05&12/05; Disney Fairytale Wedding@Disneyland 6/05;WDW 2/04,6/05,5/12,10/14; Port Orleans Riverside 2/04&6/05;All Star Movies Resort 5/12;Coronado Springs 10/9/14;Disney Wonder 6/05;Disney Dream 4/12;Disney Fantasy 10/18/14
fairytalelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #50
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post

When Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan had their show at WDW, Jon Cryer was one of their guests. He related a story of one of his last stays at WDW in a Disney resort. He said he dove into the pool and cracked his mouth on the bottom of the pool resulting in breaking his two front teeth. He complained that Disney pools weren't deep enough.
Most Disney pools I have seen have a sign saying "No Diving Allowed" and for good reason it seems

ME DH DSDisneyland(hundreds of times) Disneyland Hotel 6/05&12/05; Disney Fairytale Wedding@Disneyland 6/05;WDW 2/04,6/05,5/12,10/14; Port Orleans Riverside 2/04&6/05;All Star Movies Resort 5/12;Coronado Springs 10/9/14;Disney Wonder 6/05;Disney Dream 4/12;Disney Fantasy 10/18/14
fairytalelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #51
JB2K
DIS Veteran

The 13 year-old in question has just died...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/13/us/flo...html?hpt=hp_t2
Old 03-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #52
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2K View Post
The 13 year-old in question has just died...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/13/us/flo...html?hpt=hp_t2
aww, heartbreaking for the family.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #53
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post

I was home with my 8 year old that day (he was sick), and his first response after Michael said that was

"You can't dive into pools at hotels!!!!"

As sad as this story makes me, I'm afraid it's going to come down to just a teenage boy not following rules and parents not being as diligent as they should be. The signs are there stating no lifeguards, no diving etc. Things happen, people bend or break rules and people die or get hurt. Hopefully someone will hear about this story and think about what they do the next time they are at a pool. I've not seen anything that says he dove into the pool, so who knows what happened, but when you don't have lifeguards on duty you need to watch. My two younger kids are competitive swimmers and I'm still crazy about watching them in the pool.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #54
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

Pools are dangerous places.

When my child swims at a pool her primary lifeguards are ME and my WIFE.
She has been trained extensively on pool safety, no diving, no horseplay.

I cannot stand to see how many parents turn their backs on their kids in a pool, or promote horseplay, or permit diving into shallow pools. Kids in crowded pools should also not be swimming underwater for extended times taking them out of sight.

One stray kick or mis-judged wall or bottom and they are unconscious, with only seconds to live.

Pools are dangerous places. Parents, treat them this way. Meanwhile Disney is quietly building fences around all their pools... but that won't stop this from happening again.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #55
Sammie
DIS Veteran

This is a horrible, horrible situation, every parent's worst nightmare.

It was a accident, the young man did not intend to get hurt.

But lessons can always be learned. I was a life guard and water safety instructor and pools are dangerous. It only takes inches to drown.

There is absolutely no blame to be put on Disney. Their lifeguards are some of the most diligent and trained I have seen.

It is swim at "your own risk" when lifeguards are not there, just as it is at most all hotels that don't even have lifeguards at all. It would be so expensive to have guards there all the time, so the solution would be to make room rates higher or close pools completely when no guard is there.

Parents and individuals have to assume that risk.

As a parent, you can teach your child that pools are dangerous. That you don't run, you don't dive, and you don't rough house and you have a buddy system.

Drowning victims make no noise: This is a great article that everyone especially parents need to read. http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

And out of respect and memory of this young man, learn something from this, and do not ever send a small child to a pool without a parent. The things I have seen at Disney pools make me shudder.

Prayers for all of us family.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #56
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
This is a horrible, horrible situation, every parent's worst nightmare.

It was a accident, the young man did not intend to get hurt.

But lessons can always be learned. I was a life guard and water safety instructor and pools are dangerous. It only takes inches to drown.

There is absolutely no blame to be put on Disney. Their lifeguards are some of the most diligent and trained I have seen.

It is swim at "your own risk" when lifeguards are not there, just as it is at most all hotels that don't even have lifeguards at all. It would be so expensive to have guards there all the time, so the solution would be to make room rates higher or close pools completely when no guard is there.

Parents and individuals have to assume that risk.

As a parent, you can teach your child that pools are dangerous. That you don't run, you don't dive, and you don't rough house and you have a buddy system.

Drowning victims make no noise: This is a great article that everyone especially parents need to read. http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

And out of respect and memory of this young man, learn something from this, and do not ever send a small child to a pool without a parent. The things I have seen at Disney pools make me shudder.

Prayers for all of us family.
Well said!
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Off-site 2015, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #57
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen
While Anthony’s death was an accident, it appears to ME from what I’ve read about it that a lifeguard at the pool would have had him out sooner, if there had been one on duty. It was several minutes that he was underwater before his cousin pulled him out, according to every source. So, while it was an accident, and rare, I think Disney should investigate having someone there at all times that the pool is open.
I will repeat my earlier post. I am an architect and a construction manager.

We always say do not make a people problem a building problem.

Rules are in place, hundreds of people have followed them and nothing tragic has happened. Maybe the child had a undetected condition or a predisposed condition and chose to swim anyway, Suddenly something happens for whatever reason whether the child chose to dive, had a seizure, aneurysm, etc. Suddenly we all have to pay more for our room every night to have more staff to make sure we are reading the signs and not following the rules; detecting physical conditions, etc.

You will just price everyone out of a vacation at Disney for no reason. Think outside the box.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #58
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4minnies View Post
The pools are always "open" because there is always access.
Exactly. I'm picturing what would have to happen to make some of the pools truly closed, and I know I do NOT want that. You'd either need fences or staff, and if they don't want to staff lifeguards at night why would they want to staff guard-guards at night?

And staffing lifeguards at night would be dangerous in itself, because how can a lifeguard TRULY see at night what they can during the day? Suddenly we have a scenario with floodlights all over the pool, which then would cause complaints by people sleeping, etc etc. So we've got floodlights at the pool and blackout curtains in the rooms or we have full, locked, fences.

For something that did happen BUT almost never ever happens at their pools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
Rules are in place, hundreds of people have followed them and nothing tragic has happened.
Exactly.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #59
Sir Aaron
Earning My Ears

You can have rules and fences but that doesn't prevent people from drowning. How many adults break safety rules much less youth who never think anything will happen to them? I've heard of drownings here where kids climbed a fence to get into the pool.

It's unfortunate that this kid died. It is a good reminder to tell kids of the consequences of disobeying the rules.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #60
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Aaron View Post
You can have rules and fences but that doesn't prevent people from drowning. How many adults break safety rules much less youth who never think anything will happen to them? I've heard of drownings here where kids climbed a fence to get into the pool.

It's unfortunate that this kid died. It is a good reminder to tell kids of the consequences of disobeying the rules.
Again, there's nothing in any story that says the child did anything wrong.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: