Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #16
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyx3 View Post
I just have to say this: who are you covering up for? I have some spider veins, I'm 48...I don't think from your description mine are as bad, and admittedly I live in Ohio. I've had them for years and they are worse now, of course. But I'm still going to the pool in the summer and I'm still wearing shorts. We will be in Disney in 2 months and I'll be comfortable. If people don't like it, they don't have to look. Why do you make yourself miserable in case other people want to be judgemental? Live how you want to live!
Daisyx3
I have spider veins also. Obviously, this type thing runs in my family and I have been a hairdresser for 29 yrs. so on my feet all day.

There is a big difference between varicose veins and spider veins. My sister's veins looked like a 90 year old woman's at 18 years old!! Lumpy and bumpy, about an inch wide from her ****** to her feet. They are unsightly at their worst--I can see why the OP covers up. She does not have to but I can why she does.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #17
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws

It's been my experience that negative reactions are pretty much the norm not the "in case". Kids have pointed and made faces, you see women looking, remarking. Men look away , even physicians I have seen have commented on how "it is no way to live looking like that". Maybe if physical imperfections are ever displayed in images of models, successful people, sports figures...things might change. Maybe if Oprah had over done show about them, maybe if there weren't commercials on tv every hour about how unsightly and embarrassing they are...maybe if comments weren't made like, "Why don't you get those fixed?...Don't you CARE how you look?" situations like that are my norm and why I cope by hiding them. I also do not wany my kids or DH to be embarassed by being with the lady with the ugly legs, around me it is pretty much expected to get them fixed, and those who don't are perceived as lazy or uncaring about their looks. I have tried make up, tanning sprays you name it to try and tone them down, but it doesn't really help and I worry about ruining clothes or if it's really hot, sweating. I do think I should be more "no worries " about it tho...there are much bigger problems in the world.
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!

FINFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #18
MizTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINFAN View Post
It's been my experience that negative reactions are pretty much the norm not the "in case". Kids have pointed and made faces, you see women looking, remarking. Men look away , even physicians I have seen have commented on how "it is no way to live looking like that". Maybe if physical imperfections are ever displayed in images of models, successful people, sports figures...things might change. Maybe if Oprah had over done show about them, maybe if there weren't commercials on tv every hour about how unsightly and embarrassing they are...maybe if comments weren't made like, "Why don't you get those fixed?...Don't you CARE how you look?" situations like that are my norm and why I cope by hiding them. I also do not wany my kids or DH to be embarassed by being with the lady with the ugly legs, around me it is pretty much expected to get them fixed, and those who don't are perceived as lazy or uncaring about their looks. I have tried make up, tanning sprays you name it to try and tone them down, but it doesn't really help and I worry about ruining clothes or if it's really hot, sweating. I do think I should be more "no worries " about it tho...there are much bigger problems in the world.
^^ EXACTLY......
and unfortunately i don't even have blue cross/blue shield anymore. now it's just horrible medicaid
MizTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #19
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizTink View Post
^^ EXACTLY......
and unfortunately i don't even have blue cross/blue shield anymore. now it's just horrible medicaid
If my goal of ever living in FL comes true, I will move near you and we can go out to the beach, WDW...anywhere we want in shorts because we will have each other!
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!

FINFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #20
MizTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINFAN View Post
If my goal of ever living in FL comes true, I will move near you and we can go out to the beach, WDW...anywhere we want in shorts because we will have each other!
LOL
MizTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #21
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

My mother had hideous spider veins (not varicose, but spider). For most of her 30s, 40s, and even now (she's in her 60s) she has worn shorts because of it. She will still go to the beach in a swimnsuit but will not go out in public in shorts. I don't blame her, they are really bad. I was always scared to death I'd get them, but I didn't. Oh I have one on the inner side of one knee, and then another set around an ankle but that's it, and they don't embarrass me in the least. But my mom's are bad. I wish she would say the heck with it all and just go out, but I can also understand her discomfort with having people look at her. So I understand how you all feel that have them. I think when they get like that, it should no longer be considered "cosmetic." I mean health insurance pays for all sorts of "removals" like port wine stains, ears that stick out, why not this?

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #22
Debbie7452
Aspires to be a Tag Fairy
Official Race Team Manager

Honestly, I never covered mine up.We have shorts weather 9 months out of the year too. I saw people at the gym kind of look at my leg, but no one ever commented! Maybe I was just oblivious. I do feel better now that it is fixed. Mostly I'm so grateful the aching and pain is gone. Yes, the smooth appearance has boosted my self-confidence.
Debbie7452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #23
zigzagzerr
DIS Veteran

I inherited (so lucky!) the super lumpy bumpy varicose veins -- they got much much worse during my pregnancy, and tend to throb if I'm walked around for any length of time.

I had the vein stripped in one leg back in 2005. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't much fun either. Outpatient surgery, out of commission exercise-wise for a few weeks.

I have an appointment in 2 weeks to do the other leg. The doctor I spoke with says that vein stripping is not really done anymore. Now I'm doing something called "venous closure" (or something like that) where they deflate the vein by inserting a catheter. Blood flow is redirected through another vein. I have appointments at the office for 4 consecutive days (about 90 minutes each) and can walk around immediately following. I can't do any "impact" exercise for 2 weeks, but can still move around. My insurance is covering 100%, all I'll pay is $20 copay on each visit.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #24
perfect2me
Earning My Ears

Varicose vein removal

I went to USA Vein clinics to have my varicose veins removed. They did the EVLT procedure and I was given compression stockings to wear before and after the visit. The good thing about it was my insurance covered my visits and it was all outpatient and it took about 30 minutes during each visit. For anyone wanting to get help you can look them up online at usaveinclinics.com. You will not reget it I didn't.
perfect2me is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: