Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #16
tmanaster
Mouseketeer

I've stayed at both. If you are eating all of your meals in the parks/resorts or on a dining plan I would say Family Suite for the extra bathroom. If you're going to want to prepare meals do the cabins.

They both are fun places to stay!
Visit us at www.roadtriptheworld.com

Many DW visits as a child First Family Trip POR 2005 AS Movies 2006
ASMu/Fort Wilderness Cabins 2008 Pop Century 2010
Disney Princess Half Marathon~ Mom and Daughter trip! POR February 2011
Disney Princess Half Marathon Mom and Daughter trip! All Star Sports 2013
tmanaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #17
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Have stayed at both and would pick ASMu suite where you'll get a queen bed in the bedroom. I also liked that the bedroom had a desk. Cabins are nice and quiet but transportation is annoying.
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #18
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

We have stayed in a family suite at ASMu twice and really liked the set up. It has a separate bedroom for mom and dad and 3 different sleepers in the living room so nobody has to share a bed. (we had 2 adults and 3 kids) It has 2 bathrooms which was invaluable at night when it was bath time for 5 ppl. It had the little kitchenette with a fridge, microwave, sink and cabinets for storage.

ASMu does have a food court where you can go fill your mugs or get a hot fudge sundae at night and there is a Ping Pong table down by the pool that my kids love. My kids, although they are tweens and teens still like watching the movie out by the pool every night.

With the way you have to walk a long way and take a bunch of buses to get around inside FtW I wouldn't stay there if it was free. But some ppl love it.

At the cabins aren't the mom and dads bed in the same room with the kid's bunk beds?

That doesn't work for us. The kids like to sleep with the TV on and DH and I have to have it very dark and very quiet (no TV) to go to sleep so we need two different rooms to sleep in.

Even the smallest sleeper in the family suite was still big enough for my 12 year old. It has a couch sleeper, a chair sleeper and an ottoman sleeper. The ottoman sleeper was the smallest but it is about the size of an army cot but it has a mattress on it. My 13 yr old slept in the chair sleeper and our 14 yr old slept on the couch sleeper (which is big enough for 2 ppl)

We used the food court every morning to have a hot breakfast for everybody. We eat 3 meals a day at home so we continued to do the same on vacation.

Now on our first family trip and first stay in the family suite we had gone to Walmart (we do every trip) and bought some breakfast items and about half of the days we had a pastry or other bfast item in the room and the other half the days we went to the food court and had breakfast. The second family trip we still went to Walmart for drinks and snacks but we skipped the bfast items and just ate in the food court every morning.

We had free dining both trips so the only food we had to pay for were those breakfasts.

I don't know how much the cabins are but you can stay in a family suite for around $230 a night in the off season.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #19
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

Another big plus for the family suites is that they are located in the buildings closest to the lobby, and very close to the bus stop (there is only one bus stop). For us with little ones in tow, this was huge. The suites are great and the two full bathrooms was great. We used the kitchen for a nice quiet breakfast in the morning while getting ready. Our extended family is all about "easy" when we travel, and the family suites fit the bill!!

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect

March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!

October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!

June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip and it was fantastic!

March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #20
LeahA
DIS Veteran

WOW! Thanks for all the information. The family suites seem to have more room and be more efficient. Are the rooms run down or are they looking o.k.?
SARATOGA SPRINGS RESORT-X2
OLD KEY WEST
WILDERNESS LODGE
POLYNESIAN
POP CENTURY
LeahA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #21
dunangst
Mouseketeer

Usually we stay at the DVC deluxe properties, but a few summers ago we did FW cabins....loved it! Ate lunch outside on our private patio, tooled around in a golf cart we rented, spent an afternoon canoeing on site, went the Campfire movies. Beautiful setting, such a nice soothing break at the end of the day! Would absolutely do it again!
dunangst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #22
Jasperann
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahA View Post
WOW! Thanks for all the information. The family suites seem to have more room and be more efficient. Are the rooms run down or are they looking o.k.?
They look like a normal room.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #23
wdwmom3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunangst
Usually we stay at the DVC deluxe properties, but a few summers ago we did FW cabins....loved it! Ate lunch outside on our private patio, tooled around in a golf cart we rented, spent an afternoon canoeing on site, went the Campfire movies. Beautiful setting, such a nice soothing break at the end of the day! Would absolutely do it again!
We just switched our res from a family suite to the cabins! I'm excited. I love to be able to relax a bit
wdwmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #24
LeahA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasperann View Post
They look like a normal room.
Meaning-they have been around a long time, are the rooms showing wear and tear or are they in good shape. I know from pictures what they look like, just didn't know if they needed to be spruced up!

I've been watching way too many episodes of Hotel Impossible on the Travel Channel!
OLD KEY WEST
WILDERNESS LODGE
POLYNESIAN
POP CENTURY
Old 03-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #25
fanoftigers
Earning My Ears

I just posted a similiar question (with AoA as an option too), wish I had seen this thread before I did that. Thanks for all the answers provided here. It helps in planning!!
fanoftigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #26
Andrea_loves_Disney
DIS Veteran

Love love love the cabins!!! As much as I would also love 2 bathrooms, I think the atmosphere of FW and the peace and quiet far outweigh that convenience.. We have stayed there twice and I just can't say enough about it. We loved hanging out in our own little house... it is cozy and quiet.. ate all our breakfasts there... never had an issue with buses.
Whatever you decide, enjoy!!!

Andrea_loves_Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #27
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetbeachgal
Another big plus for the family suites is that they are located in the buildings closest to the lobby, and very close to the bus stop (there is only one bus stop). For us with little ones in tow, this was huge. The suites are great and the two full bathrooms was great. We used the kitchen for a nice quiet breakfast in the morning while getting ready. Our extended family is all about "easy" when we travel, and the family suites fit the bill!!

We stayed in the All Star Music suite for seven nights during our last trip and really liked it. We chose it over the cabins because it was less expensive than the cabin, has two bathrooms (the cabin only has one), the family suites are in the buildings closest to the bus stop, main pool, and food court, the layout/bed configuration worked out well for my family of six (with three pull out beds in the living room my two oldest kids got their own beds), we did not want to spend hundreds of dollars on a golf cart rental to get around the resort or rely on both an internal bus and park bus to get to the parks, and lastly we wanted easy access to a food court since we had the dining plan. I love the idea of staying in the cabin for the tranquility and not sharing walls with other people, but logistically it wouldn't work out for us for Disney trips. I have to say that we thought AS Music was surprisingly on the quiet side (we went in late August when there were no tour groups or student groups though). Our suite was ground floor of Jazz building #2 facing a courtyard and we rarely heard people. Also, the afternoon music and activities by the main pool and evening drive in style movies by the pool were fun too.
2Pirates2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #28
momof4minnies
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Meaning-they have been around a long time, are the rooms showing wear and tear or are they in good shape. I know from pictures what they look like, just didn't know if they needed to be spruced up!

I've been watching way too many episodes of Hotel Impossible on the Travel Channel!
We stayed ASMu last stay. We have stayed moderate and CL Deluxe Resorts, also. So, we have stayed the whole spectrum of what Disney has to offer.

We felt the family suites at ASMu were nice, adequate and comfortable. The only negative. It's a weird one. The main door seemed dirty. Nothing else was dirty. Everything was in good repair and working order. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the door would be dirty. I'm talking it looked grimy. The whole top of the door and around the doorknob. If it were dirty, why did staff not see it? Trust me it was a huge area. Could I have said something, yes. We arrived right before the food court was closing. Kiddos were hungry, and I did not want to say something to the front desk and get moved. I wish I had brought it to their attention during check out, but we were transferring to another hotel for our split stay and with 4 kids, things can get chaotic. It bothered me, but not tremendously because we loved the location close to the main building, bus stops, and pool. Don't they say to pick your battles?

(FYI - I just asked my kiddos if they remember the dirty door. They don't. Ahhhh to be a kid and to look at only the good things in life.)

1971 WDW opening year
several visits to DL as a wee one
Oct 1998 Poly
Jun 2000 CBR
Aug 2001 CR
Jul 2003 CR
June 2004 GF CL
Jun 2005 CR CL
Jul 2007 GF CL
Nov 2008 WL CL
Jun 2009 DL Hyatt
Nov 2011 WL CL - DD Sweet 16

NEXT TRIP JUN 2013 BW CL - 2nd DDs SWEET 16
momof4minnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #29
LeahA
DIS Veteran

(FYI - I just asked my kiddos if they remember the dirty door. They don't. Ahhhh to be a kid and to look at only the good things in life.)

They remember that!!!!
OLD KEY WEST
WILDERNESS LODGE
POLYNESIAN
POP CENTURY
Old 03-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #30
momof4minnies
Mouseketeer

Quote:
LOL! My kids would be the same way. Unless it super dirty like one time on our ride down we stayed at a hotel in Kentucky that has mushrooms growing from the air conditioner!

They remember that!!!!
Ewwwww, gag. Funny how those things aren't funny at the time, but make for great stories later.

1971 WDW opening year
several visits to DL as a wee one
Oct 1998 Poly
Jun 2000 CBR
Aug 2001 CR
Jul 2003 CR
June 2004 GF CL
Jun 2005 CR CL
Jul 2007 GF CL
Nov 2008 WL CL
Jun 2009 DL Hyatt
Nov 2011 WL CL - DD Sweet 16