Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Lucky problems UPDATE

Remember that adorable...PURRRRfect kitty we just got? Well.....Not so perfect.

The safe room idea is backfiring!

She has GOT to get out of my room. She is breaking stuff...climbing on top of our WALL MOUNTED T.V....etc.

I don't want to force her to stay downstairs because she afraid of the dog but she can't stay in my room. I put her stuff in the bathroom and closed all of the other doors upstairs. She has to get used to other parts of the house right?

I don't know what to do with her as far as acclimating her to the rest of the house. There are so many different ways to do it. I should have just left her behind the couch when we first got her. See where researching gets you?

Anyone have any advice to make this easier for her?

Last edited by Soldier's*Sweeties; 03-13-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Sounds like she needs a lot of socialization, and a hefty amount of controlled playtime!

I'm not sure how much time you spend with her vs. how much time she's alone, but you need to start dedicating some significant time to playing and interacting with her. She's bored and has a lot of energy and is (literally and figuratively) climbing the walls. You need to work on tiring her out, and it also sounds like she needs someplace to climb. If you don't already have a cat tree (not just a scratching post, but a multi-level cat tree), you'll need to get one so that she has something to play on that isn't your flatscreen. Set it up by a window so that she can look outside and have things to watch.

But mostly -- she needs someone to play with her. Every night, every day.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher
Sounds like she needs a lot of socialization, and a hefty amount of controlled playtime!

I'm not sure how much time you spend with her vs. how much time she's alone, but you need to start dedicating some significant time to playing and interacting with her. She's bored and has a lot of energy and is (literally and figuratively) climbing the walls. You need to work on tiring her out, and it also sounds like she needs someplace to climb. If you don't already have a cat tree (not just a scratching post, but a multi-level cat tree), you'll need to get one so that she has something to play on that isn't your flatscreen. Set it up by a window so that she can look outside and have things to watch.

But mostly -- she needs someone to play with her. Every night, every day.

I spend time with her in the morning while everyone is out of the house and then at night when I get home from work I cuddle her and read. Maybe I should play instead of cuddle to wear her out a little.

We're looking into a cat tree but with the kids bday party this weekend it will have I wait until next week. Those things aren't cheap!

I know it's only been a week too. I'll try to be a little more patient with her. I opened the bedroom back up for her. I felt bad that he don't feel safe
Old 03-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

Cat tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
I spend time with her in the morning while everyone is out of the house and then at night when I get home from work I cuddle her and read. Maybe I should play instead of cuddle to wear her out a little.

We're looking into a cat tree but with the kids bday party this weekend it will have I wait until next week. Those things aren't cheap!

I know it's only been a week too. I'll try to be a little more patient with her. I opened the bedroom back up for her. I felt bad that he don't feel safe
Yes, they are very expensive. My DS stacked a bunch of large boxes and we put a bath mat on top. We pushed it by the window and she hangs out there a huge part of the day. He cut a door in one of the boxes to make a house, but she hardly ever goes in there.

Maybe you could do that temporarily so he can have his own space up high?
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemurr

Yes, they are very expensive. My DS stacked a bunch of large boxes and we put a bath mat on top. We pushed it by the window and she hangs out there a huge part of the day. He cut a door in one of the boxes to make a house, but she hardly ever goes in there.

Maybe you could do that temporarily so he can have his own space up high?
Yeah that's a good idea. DH can probably figure something out. She hangs out in the window sills in our room. In the bathroom the will is higher and she was up there too.

It's just so frustrating! I'm going to make it mandatory for the kids to play with her after school lol
Old 03-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

They sell window seats that rest on the sill and tie up to the top of window..they aren't that expensive. We have 3 of them in different windows, and there's almost always a cat curled up on one looking outside, watching birds, squirrels, or just taking a nap in the sun. Good luck with Lucky, just give it more time!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Update

Well yesterday and last night went pretty well actually!

She has no issue finding her box in the bathroom and was in and out of our room all night. I have no idea if she made her way downstairs...I was ASLEEP!

DH said she was asleep on the stairs when he left for work this morning. Our dog sleeps on either DS or DD's bed(which is also upstairs), so she was brave!

I think that she will be fine and will eventually make her way downstairs in time. Thanks for the advice on this and her introductory thread everyone!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: