Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #421
wehavesix
Yes, I really have 6 kids
Yes, I'm crazy but in a good way
One minute I was walking along and the next I was falling

I have never been able to run, even as a teen it was a struggle that ended with me gasping for air. Then a few years ago I was working with a personal trainer and got sick in the middle of a session. She asked me why I didn't tell her I had asthma! Um, because I didn't know that was my problem. Took a trip to the doctor and was dxed with exercise induced asthma and prescribed an inhaler to use as needed. I thought would surely be able to get in shape then! But bad luck struck and I broke my leg which took a long time to heal. Back to square 1.

So here I am just 3 weeks shy of 51 and started a c25k program today. I hope to run the CC 5k at the end of May. It will be my first attempt at actually running a 5k. Wish me luck!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #422
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckTraveller View Post
The other important things for me were stretching and a good recovery plan. I find chocolate milk really helps me rehydrate after a workout, and lessens the post-exercise muscle aches, but there are lots of ideas out there on running websites.
Chocolate milk really does help, it's the weirdest thing! I stretch after running, not before. I used to stretch before and I swear it hurt me more than it helped me. Now I walk before running to warm up, but do stretches only after.

I also love arnica cream for sore muscles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehavesix View Post
So here I am just 3 weeks shy of 51 and started a c25k program today. I hope to run the CC 5k at the end of May. It will be my first attempt at actually running a 5k. Wish me luck!
Good luck!

Bring your inhaler onto the course. I wished I had mine, and it was only February-heat, not May. I wonder if anyone makes a little running pack that perfectly fits an inhaler?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #423
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot

Chocolate milk really does help, it's the weirdest thing! I stretch after running, not before. I used to stretch before and I swear it hurt me more than it helped me. Now I walk before running to warm up, but do stretches only after.

I also love arnica cream for sore muscles.

Good luck!

Bring your inhaler onto the course. I wished I had mine, and it was only February-heat, not May. I wonder if anyone makes a little running pack that perfectly fits an inhaler?
I recommend SPIbelt. It fits whatever I need on a run and doesn't bounce around. I got one free in my swag before the Austin half.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #424
MaryJPixie
Mouseketeer

Do you sign up for this on the ship? Is there a meeting spot etc.....I don't know anything about this but would like to do it.......

A dream is a wish your heart makes......
MaryJPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #425
GBBTomorrow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehavesix
I have never been able to run, even as a teen it was a struggle that ended with me gasping for air. Then a few years ago I was working with a personal trainer and got sick in the middle of a session. She asked me why I didn't tell her I had asthma! Um, because I didn't know that was my problem. Took a trip to the doctor and was dxed with exercise induced asthma and prescribed an inhaler to use as needed. I thought would surely be able to get in shape then! But bad luck struck and I broke my leg which took a long time to heal. Back to square 1.

You are an inspiration! Good for you for not giving up. Good luck and enjoy!
GBBTomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #426
job09
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehavesix View Post

You can do it and you will feel great!!!! I didn't start running until I was in my 40's. Just listen to your body and go at your own pace and always remember to stretch out! So important. Good luck
job09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #427
mom2william
Earning My Ears

SpiBelt is what I use as well. Fits everything!! You can get them at any running store. I got mine at the Austin Half as well! Hubby and I are doing the cc5k in April.
mom2william is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #428
Siliobear
Mouseketeer

Maybe the answer is an obvious "no" but do wavephones work on cc?
Siliobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #429
heartpooh
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siliobear
Maybe the answer is an obvious "no" but do wavephones work on cc?
I read that they do work on Castaway Cay!!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
heartpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:17 AM   #430
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJPixie View Post
Do you sign up for this on the ship? Is there a meeting spot etc.....I don't know anything about this but would like to do it.......
The Navigator the night before Castaway Cay day will tell people who wish to do the 5K where and when to meet. For me it was 8:15am at Evolution on the Dream. Be dressed for the 5K and ready. Have your KTTW and a photo ID. They don't stop for bathroom breaks. (though some people stopped during the walk to the course) You get off the ship altogether and walk with the CM to the start of the course.

I'll look up the SPIbelt, thanks!

The wavephones do indeed work. That's how I knew that DH and DS had woken up and gotten off the ship (I'd left them sleeping) in time to meet Jack Sparrow. I hear there's a really big "palm tree" that is the cell tower that allows the wave phones to work.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #431
NC State
DIS Veteran

Is the starting line and ending the same place?

Oct 5-10, 2014 Pop /Wonder cruise Apr 26-May 1, 2015/
Dream cruise Sept 8-12, 2013
/Feb, 2013 Pop /Sept 2012 AoA(LM)/Feb 2012 WL /Sept 2011 CSR /
Dec 2010 ASMu/Sept 2009 ASMu / Sept 2008 Pop/ May 2007 POR/
Oct-Nov 2006 Pop /Sept-Oct 2005 Pop/Sept 2003 CBR /May 1994 off site
NC State is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #432
spacecanada
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC State View Post
Is the starting line and ending the same place?
Yes. There is a time clock on a post that the cast member starts at the beginning and then you can see your time when you finish.

I'll add another vote for SPIbelt. They have arm pouches that are small enough for inhalers and KTTW cards too. Their customer service is fantastic, so if you want to know if XYZ items will fit into a particular product they can tell you yes or no. Also, if your waist is 25" or less, go with the child size.
spacecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #433
GoHabsGo
Mouseketeer

start and stop are at bike rental - they need to do better traffic management in that area (lots of people wandering around the finish line

the only "truly" bad thing i found was that they were firing up the BBQs and after you get out of the loop, you're inhaling starter fluid all the way to the end of the airstrip and back to the loop - if you have breathing difficulties, be prepared!

wave phones work on CC

any sugary drink will help replenish your spent glucose but read beyond the headlines before you start guzzling too much chocolate milk (especially if you're trying to lose weight) your best best is a homemade gatorade - tough to do on the ship...) don't forget to get a little salt in after the run (especially in hot temps)

keep moving after the run until you've completely cooled down - it's hard on your heart to "just stop"

PS i won my race - at least the lanyard on the medal said "winner"
GoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #434
Debbie
DIScovering DIS magic
WISHing my way to success!
Thought processes working overboard!
We have YOUR date so book it up!

If you were to walk the 5k at CC, what is the time limit for which it has to be done in order to receive a medal/certificate?

o Lovin' the mouse from my Canadian house! o

offsite-'85
CBR-'90FWHomes-'94FWHomes-'97HIFS/BC-'99Dixie Landings-Jan. '00 (just the parents)HIFS/Dixie Landings-Aug.'00ASMu '01Courtyard by Marriott DTD '02Courtyard by Marriott DTD/Coronado Springs '03Wilderness Lodge-Marathon Weekend '05POP with youngest sister '05POP with FREE DINING '06ASMu with DH '07POP with youngest daughter '0825th anniversary trip at Poly '09POR (still Dixie in my heart) with DH '121 night Kidani Village before 7 night Disney Fantasy Cruise '13
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #435
Blondie1973
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
If you were to walk the 5k at CC, what is the time limit for which it has to be done in order to receive a medal/certificate?
From when I took my cruise, the cast member stayed at the end spot until about an hour/hour and a half after the race started.

She did say that guests have been known to be sidetracked by the adult beach/beverages, that they've found her later in the day and still gotten their medal.

Its more of an unofficial/fun run.
Blondie1973 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: