Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #31
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
The PP said "Find out what your current BMI is by multiplying your weight and your height", I was pointing out that this was incorrect (or the poor OP was going to end up with a BMI in the thousands!)
Sorry- I was agreeing with you--- just forgot to add my comment before I added the cut and paste to figure out your BMI...
Old 03-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #32
Julylady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules
If you have to follow such a strict diet afterwards, why not just follow the diet now and avoid having a major surgery?
As a bariatric surgery patient I will try to answer this question. I have been overweight my entire life. I weighed 200 lbs at 13. I first joined Weight Watchers at 14. In my early 30s I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I spent my entire adult life trying to stay on a diet. However, I had an enormous appetite and never ever felt full. Twice as an adult I went on very low calorie diets under a doctors supervision and lost 80 pounds.

However, as soon as I transitioned back to normal food I would begin gaining weight. I would eat heathy foods, but my portion sizes were huge. I thought about food constantly. I rarely exercised since I was so out of shape and thought I was way too big to go to a gym. And I did find comfort in food.

At one point my PCP asked me if I would ever consider bariatric surgery. I was adamantly against it and told her I could do it on my own. And I knew I could since I had already done it twice. She planted a seed that day though. I did try to lose weight again and was able to lose about 15 pounds, but then gained that back. About 18 months later I attended the free overview session at our local bariatric center of excellence. I thought I would have the lap band, but my surgeon recommended me for the sleeve since I travel a lot for work.

I knew my relationship with food had to change, but I felt the surgery would be drastic enough to cause a permanent change. And that's exactly what happened. It's hard to explain how you feel about food after surgery. Eating was difficult for several weeks. I had zero appetite and eating became associated with discomfort rather than pleasure. Like can't explain how freeing this was! It was like I finally got the food monkey off my back. There is a honeymoon period of about a year where the weight comes off pretty easily. Wise people use this time to develop new, healthier habits.

I am now two years out from surgery. I can pretty much eat anything I want, but only a few bites. I have to eat 70 grams of protein a day to stay healthy. It's still a chore to eat that much. I can only eat about 1cup of food at a meal. Tonight I had a small slice of meatloaf along with a single bite of cauliflower. That's it. I am stuffed. I never eat bread, rice, or pasta. More than a bite or two of cake makes me feel sick, but I do enjoy the one bite! I am limited to a single glass of wine at a party and no soda ever.

I am thrilled with the results! I lost 110 pounds the first year and have maintained that weight the second year. I would still like to lose another 20 pounds but if I stay at my current weight I am okay with that. I eat a high protein, low carb diet of very small portions. I average about 1300 calories per day and I am never ever hungry. I basically eat what I want, I just don't want much. I go to the gym 4 times a week. I go to a support group at the bariatric center for excellence and have made some wonderful friends with other bariatric patients.

If anyone is still reading, thanks for listening to my story. Bariatric surgery is a wonderful tool for those obese people who are ready to make a significant, permanent change to their relationship with food.
Julylady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #33
dogluva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julylady

As a bariatric surgery patient I will try to answer this question. I have been overweight my entire life. I weighed 200 lbs at 13. I first joined Weight Watchers at 14. In my early 30s I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I spent my entire adult life trying to stay on a diet. However, I had an enormous appetite and never ever felt full. Twice as an adult I went on very low calorie diets under a doctors supervision and lost 80 pounds.

However, as soon as I transitioned back to normal food I would begin gaining weight. I would eat heathy foods, but my portion sizes were huge. I thought about food constantly. I rarely exercised since I was so out of shape and thought I was way too big to go to a gym. And I did find comfort in food.

At one point my PCP asked me if I would ever consider bariatric surgery. I was adamantly against it and told her I could do it on my own. And I knew I could since I had already done it twice. She planted a seed that day though. I did try to lose weight again and was able to lose about 15 pounds, but then gained that back. About 18 months later I attended the free overview session at our local bariatric center of excellence. I thought I would have the lap band, but my surgeon recommended me for the sleeve since I travel a lot for work.

I knew my relationship with food had to change, but I felt the surgery would be drastic enough to cause a permanent change. And that's exactly what happened. It's hard to explain how you feel about food after surgery. Eating was difficult for several weeks. I had zero appetite and eating became associated with discomfort rather than pleasure. Like can't explain how freeing this was! It was like I finally got the food monkey off my back. There is a honeymoon period of about a year where the weight comes off pretty easily. Wise people use this time to develop new, healthier habits.

I am now two years out from surgery. I can pretty much eat anything I want, but only a few bites. I have to eat 70 grams of protein a day to stay healthy. It's still a chore to eat that much. I can only eat about 1cup of food at a meal. Tonight I had a small slice of meatloaf along with a single bite of cauliflower. That's it. I am stuffed. I never eat bread, rice, or pasta. More than a bite or two of cake makes me feel sick, but I do enjoy the one bite! I am limited to a single glass of wine at a party and no soda ever.

I am thrilled with the results! I lost 110 pounds the first year and have maintained that weight the second year. I would still like to lose another 20 pounds but if I stay at my current weight I am okay with that. I eat a high protein, low carb diet of very small portions. I average about 1300 calories per day and I am never ever hungry. I basically eat what I want, I just don't want much. I go to the gym 4 times a week. I go to a support group at the bariatric center for excellence and have made some wonderful friends with other bariatric patients.

If anyone is still reading, thanks for listening to my story. Bariatric surgery is a wonderful tool for those obese people who are ready to make a significant, permanent change to their relationship with food.
Thank you so much for posting this. We have a family member getting the sleeve in June and I am worried sick. I appreciate you honesty and information. Thanks again and great job!
dogluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #34
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julylady View Post

That was a great explanation. Thanks.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #35
cm8
Half of the time we're rushing around to get things done last minute or we realize we're running behind so we need to catch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julylady View Post

and congratulations on your lifestyle change

"I have placed the Lord ever before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:8

cm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #36
heartsy77
New BCV DVC owner!

I just wanted to UPDATE everyone and let you all know I had the gastric sleeve on 8/5/13! I decided if I was going to do surgery I was only going to do it once, and not take the chance that the lap band wouldn't work!

I have to say, the first few days were not pleasant, but overall I feel like never had surgery! I have no pain and the worse part is I feel so good I want real food not liquids! I will get advanced to diced foods this week so, I'm almost there!

I weighed 326 before I started the "program" and day of surgery I weighed 290 and I know I have lost more since, but I purposefully don't own a scale so I will find out at the surgeon's office.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #37
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

Glad everything went well! Good luck!

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #38
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsy77 View Post
I just wanted to UPDATE everyone and let you all know I had the gastric sleeve on 8/5/13! I decided if I was going to do surgery I was only going to do it once, and not take the chance that the lap band wouldn't work!

I have to say, the first few days were not pleasant, but overall I feel like never had surgery! I have no pain and the worse part is I feel so good I want real food not liquids! I will get advanced to diced foods this week so, I'm almost there!

I weighed 326 before I started the "program" and day of surgery I weighed 290 and I know I have lost more since, but I purposefully don't own a scale so I will find out at the surgeon's office.
Congratulations on your weight loss so far!! Glad everything went ok. Continued good luck on your weight loss journey.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #39
ORMom2Four
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsy77 View Post

Congratulations! I have heard great things about the sleeve!

I'm glad you did not go with the band. I had one "installed" (lol) in 2006. I was a member of a 15 person support group. EVERY single person in our group has gone on to have their band removed because of complications, including me. Went to another surgeon to talk about other options, and she said it won't be long before the lap band is no longer available in the USA. I cringe when I hear someone is going to get one....
ORMom2Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #40
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

I know someone who has had the lapband (she put all the weight back on), someone else who had the sleeve done in May (she says she's lost almost 50 lbs) and someone else who had GP. She lost over 100 lbs. I wonder if the 2 successes will last as there are major underlying psychological issues that I'm not sure they've dealt with. Is counseling part of the process after the surgery?

Junior Brody Stella Luna Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #41
Burnedout
DIS Veteran

Good for you! My friend ha Lapland and lost all her excess weight and has kept it off for 4 years! I hope your journey I as successful!
Burnedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #42
ms.yt
DIS Veteran

I had lap band in 2004, and I did great with it. I lost about 90 pounds the first year. In 2007 I had to have it removed because the band had slipped. I take complete responsibility for the band's slipping, though. My dad was in the hospital after a stroke, and we were making the decision to take him off the ventilator. The afternoon before I was going to go to the hospital to say goodbye to him, I started vomiting and didn't stop. Instead of taking something to stop the vomiting or calling my surgeon, I just kept going all weekend. By the time I realized what a mistake I had made, it was too late. I had to have emergency surgery to get the band removed. My dad died the day I was released from the hospital. I used bad judgement and I reaped the consequences. I don't know why others have to have their band removed, but mine was preventable. At the time, I just didn't care.

I've since gained back all my weight. I'd like to have the surgery again, but I'm starting to think about the sleeve. Can somebody who's had it please explain a little about what's it's like as far as restrictions after the surgery, weight gain, etc. There is a lady in town who had it a couple of years ago. She lost a lot of weight initially but she's gained most of it back.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #43
mnrose
DIS Veteran

xx
mnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #44
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

congratulations, OP! so happy for you!

i had gastric bypass surgery 9 years ago, and managed to keep the weight off for 7 years. unfortunately, when my mom went off the rails 2 years ago, so did i. my compulsive eating disorder came back with a vengeance, once her mental illness got bad, and i've gained over 70 pounds back. i still weigh MUCH less than i did pre-surgery, but i'm so disgusted with myself, and nothing i do helps. i even tried an anti-anxiety medication that would, supposedly, curb my compulsion, but it didn't work. PLEASE, PLEASE, don't let anyone derail your success! you're worth it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: