Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #1201
germ539
Goofy is my favorite

Thank you for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGuy View Post
This is the POR FAQ Thread. I have just spent an inordinate amount of time deleting posts that involved name calling, reputational attacks, accusing each other of lies, sketch etc.

ENOUGH! For crap's sake, it's a trip to Disney people ... not the invasion of the body snatchers!!

Future off topic posts will be deleted and infractions issued. No warnings.

DIS POSTING GUIDELINES:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm

If certain folks can't abide by those, then they will NOT be posting here. I don't think I can be anymore clear on this.

And now back to your normally genial and fun-loving thread.. HUGE thank you to the hosts here who do a great job keeping the conversation on track. Your efforts are appreciated.

Knox
I agree totally on this, I read the one comment last night and couldn't believe it, I think that it is good to hear both the good and the bad of stays, it could happen anywhere, Disney isn't exempt.
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
Old 03-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #1202
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleigh1 View Post
On the one for Magnolia Bend (because that's where I'm hoping to stay, I keep looking at it), you show room 8746 as a Standard View, but 8546 which is right below it on the 1st floor, shows Garden View. How is this possible?
I guess most likely due to some obstruction which only effects the upper floor (a large tree for example)? There are a few other rooms like this, such as ones under stairwells which don't give you a good view of the gardens.

They do re-check periodically to ensure that the categories are accurate, and the room assignment manger actually has a set of photos of the views from every single room in the resort to help him. They thinned out and removed a few trees around the resort recently too, which were starting to obstruct river views for example.

Quote:
Oh and another question...is it unreasonable to request Magnolia Terrace building, 2nd floor, corner room in a standard view? Is that asking too much?
It can't hurt to ask, you're only asking for three things after all. It might be an idea to prioritise them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfling8 View Post
On a related note, our last night of our trip we have a late-ish (around 7pm) ADR for Kouzzina. After, would it make sense to go from there to DTD and take the boat to get back to POR?
That would work. Or if it's within an hour of Studios closing, take a Friendship boat to the Studios and a bus back to POR from there. DTD bus journeys can be some of the longer ones, so if there's a shorter route it might help.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #1203
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by germ539 View Post
With everything else that has been happening on this board, didn't know if anyone else knew this answer.
I did see an answer about using foil balloons, but maybe it got caught up in the purge? However I'm not sure that the POR aircons actually have motion sensors, ours seemed to just respond to the thermostat only.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 03-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #1204
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
I probably shouldn't have caught up on the the thread this morning while eating breakfast.

Andre - I do have a question about your room maps. On the one for Magnolia Bend (because that's where I'm hoping to stay, I keep looking at it), you show room 8746 as a Standard View, but 8546 which is right below it on the 1st floor, shows Garden View. How is this possible? Thanks again for creating and maintaining that site. It is so great for planning a PO stay.
Also I do have pictures from even on the third floor of magnolia that do not have all that great clear views of the river that might be why. There is a lot of trees in their court yard.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #1205
germ539
Goofy is my favorite

Thanks Andre

I was hoping you'd say that, I would rather deal with a thermostat that I can turn up or down, not worry if I have to get up every hour or so in the middle of the night and do jumping jacks to get the air going again (DS is 15 and I dealt with getting up every hour or so a long time ago)
Old 03-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #1206
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
I guess most likely due to some obstruction which only effects the upper floor (a large tree for example)? There are a few other rooms like this, such as ones under stairwells which don't give you a good view of the gardens.

They do re-check periodically to ensure that the categories are accurate, and the room assignment manger actually has a set of photos of the views from every single room in the resort to help him. They thinned out and removed a few trees around the resort recently too, which were starting to obstruct river views for example.

It can't hurt to ask, you're only asking for three things after all. It might be an idea to prioritise them though.

Andre
Ok, that makes sense. I was just thinking it looked odd to have that one room listed as Standard in a sea of garden views. But I didn't think of obstructed view.

And thanks for the info on requests. I think the way I typed it is actually in the order of our preference too. In fact, I'm pretty sure that my TA put Magnolia Terrace and 2nd floor on our original reservation. I didn't think of the corner room until I saw a photo of it somewhere.

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

Old 03-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #1207
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
I did see an answer about using foil balloons, but maybe it got caught up in the purge? However I'm not sure that the POR aircons actually have motion sensors, ours seemed to just respond to the thermostat only.

Andre
Yeah POR is thermostat only. If it is off when you came into the room from a park day or something it is because mouse keeping turned it off.

Places like poly, GF, SSR, have a selective motion sensor but we used a Mickey balloon to fool that.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #1208
germ539
Goofy is my favorite

what a relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Yeah POR is thermostat only. If it is off when you came into the room from a park day or something it is because mouse keeping turned it off.

Places like poly, GF, SSR, have a selective motion sensor but we used a Mickey balloon to fool that.
One less thing to worry about
Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #1209
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:

So the POR thermostat doesn't require the motion override? We had that issue at CR before we read up on what to push to override it. There's nothing like waking up at 3 am in mid June in a sweat because the A/C has been off for 3 hours...
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #1210
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
So the POR thermostat doesn't require the motion override? We had that issue at CR before we read up on what to push to override it. There's nothing like waking up at 3 am in mid June in a sweat because the A/C has been off for 3 hours...
Ours stayed on all the time and we didn't override anything. I have to say I was disappointed in one thing I thought I would be ok without it, but I miss the ceiling fan in the royal rooms.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #1211
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This will be great for us. Everywhere else we have stayed has had the motion activated theromstats that we have had to bypass. You cannot manually bypass the ones at AoA like you can many of the others, and a balloon doesn't provide enough motion to keep the air on overnight. We had to have mantainance come, take the panel covering the unit off, and hook up a computerized switch to bypass it. They had to come back every 72 hours to do it agian becuase it would reset. With our allregies, we would all have sinus infections by the end of the trip if we didn't keep air moving at night.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #1212
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Ours stayed on all the time and we didn't override anything. I have to say I was disappointed in one thing I thought I would be ok without it, but I miss the ceiling fan in the royal rooms.
Did POR used to have them? (My brain is so foggy about this place since it has been over 7 years since we stayed here... I remember thinking it was pretty and I remember the noisy elevators in Oak Manor but everything else specific is a blur.)

I confess, I hate ceiling fans since I don't like the feeling of them blowing on me when I sleep (I know, its strange...)
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 03-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #1213
TxRabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And this is the exact reason why I stalked the Disney site hoping for a non-Royal room to open up with the Spring rate when we wanted to stay. I wonder why they took the ceiling fan out for those rooms?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #1214
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night

Quote:
Is there a ceiling fan in the other rooms? I have to say the fan is actually important to us.
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge
Old 03-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #1215
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

I disliked messing with the A/C in our Royal Room. I kept a hand towel over the vents to keep it from blowing right on us at night. It was very cold and when we turned up the temp a little we had a burning smell because it turns on the heat. The kids and I ended up with a head cold by the last day of our trip from the cold, dry air in the room.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: