Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #16
NurseDave
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieyarb View Post
What is the benefit to purchasing the Disney gift cards?
You can buy them at Target with the Red card and save 5%.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #17
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
You can add the tips to the room charge slip, or tip in cash. It's possible, especially if your order from room service doesn't have any items to be charged for (sodas, prepackaged snacks, etc), you won't be presented a slip to sign. And the room service delivery person(s) tend to be real quick about delivering and leaving, so it's a good idea to keep the cash handy to the door, so you can have it in hand when opening it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
This was our experience - we never ordered anything that would have an upcharge, so we were never presented a slip to sign.

We usually tipped $2 plus a small box (Hallowe'en size) of a local candy. We only ever ordered things like fruit, or cookies and milk.
We never purchased anything from room service with an upcharge either and were ALWAYS given the slip to sign. One night our wonderful dining server had 2 creme brulees sent up to our room and we had to sign for those also. I don't know what decides if they give you the slip to sign or not but we were always given the slip.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
Genie-In-Training
Earning My Ears

Quote:
There are different deals people have found. I just use it as another way to save for the cruise. I buy one every month, with my groceries, to use for our onboard expenses.
Genie-In-Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #19
iambrink
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I have read about the Target deal, but i also plan on having family members give my kids Disney gift cards for birthdays and special occasions. Then they will have their "own" money on the cruise and i won't say "I'm not paying for that!"
Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #20
DisDiana
Mouseketeer

I just got off the Dream and used gift cards for almost everything. The only thing they wouldn't let me use the cards for is a future booking for another cruise. They charged the Amex we had on file.
DCL Dream 2011, 2013, 2014 | DCL Fantasy 2013
DLR 2011, 2012

DisDiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #21
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
Disney Gift Cards

Many stores offer promotions to entice you to purchase gift cards, also called entertainment cards.

At Kroger, Disney gift cards give you double fuel points for money off on gasoline at Kroger and participating Shell stations. For example, if you purchase $500 in Disney gift cards, you get 1000 fuel points, which can be redeemed for $1 off each gallon of gasoline at one fill-up, up to 35 gallons. If you could use this on 35 gallons, you would save $35. Your $500 cost of Disney cards gets you $35, which equals 7% back. If your tank maxes out at 20 gallons, you would save $20, which equals 5% back.

At Target, you can get 5% off your purchase of Disney gift cards if you purchase them with your Red Card. A Red Card is a card offered by Target; you can choose either a credit card version or a debit card version. Also at Target, you can receive another 5% off if you have a Target Pharmacy Rewards Coupon. Combining the 5% off Red Card and the 5% off coupon yields a 9.75% discount.

Get the Target Pharmacy Rewards coupon by filling five prescriptions at Target. Those five prescriptions can be for any and all members of your family, done at one time or over the course of months. Of note, when the fifth prescription is filled, it takes about 2 weeks to receive your coupon in the mail. That coupon will be good for 5% off all purchases made on one day at Target, and it will expire about 6 weeks after you get it.

Note that Target discounts often say: “Not valid on gift cards.” They are referring to Target Gift Cards, not Disney gift cards. Target terms Disney, restaurant, and other cards as “Entertainment Cards,” and they will receive the Red Card and Target Pharmacy Reward Card discounts.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #22
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDiana View Post
I just got off the Dream and used gift cards for almost everything. The only thing they wouldn't let me use the cards for is a future booking for another cruise. They charged the Amex we had on file.
Just a curious question, did you try and use the GCs to book a cruise and they wouldn't let you or did they just use the card you had on file without asking if that was what you wanted to do?

Not challenging anything you said, just curious as I had thought about doing this as well.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #23
DisDiana
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet

Just a curious question, did you try and use the GCs to book a cruise and they wouldn't let you or did they just use the card you had on file without asking if that was what you wanted to do?

Not challenging anything you said, just curious as I had thought about doing this as well.
We were on a three night and there was always a line for the OBB desk, so my mom offered to book for me while my fiancé and I were on excursions. I told her that we had gift cards loaded onto our onboard account, so to ask.

She was successful in booking the cruise we wanted, but the rep at the OBB desk said the cruise had to be paid for using a credit card on file. I wonder if it would have made a difference if I had physically presented them with the gift cards, but since my mom was doing me a favor, I wasn't there to ask.

Hope that helps!
DCL Dream 2011, 2013, 2014 | DCL Fantasy 2013
DLR 2011, 2012

DisDiana is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: