Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
UrlGirl54
Earning My Ears

New to DCL

My BF and I will be sailing October 19, on the Wonder, to the Caribbean. This is or first cruise and of course, first cruise with Disney. I've done a ton of research so far, but any tips or tricks I should know?? I try to be as informed as possible when vacationing.
UrlGirl54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
noahdove
DIS Veteran

Well, you have come to the right place for help..My biggest suggestion is to keep a note pad next to your computer and jot down anything or everything you THINK you might need to know, from how to get to port to making special tees shirts for the cruise. Read as much as you can from here..I just ordered Birnbaum Guide to Disney Cruise line...it's full of info. During your reading I am sure you will have questions for clairfication..Remember no question is silly or dumb...we have all been in your shoes at one time or the other..That's my 2 cents worth...I am sure I will think of other things as I sit here and ponder my 2nd Disney cruise..if I do, I will post them...
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
UrlGirl54
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahdove
Well, you have come to the right place for help..My biggest suggestion is to keep a note pad next to your computer and jot down anything or everything you THINK you might need to know, from how to get to port to making special tees shirts for the cruise. Read as much as you can from here..I just ordered Birnbaum Guide to Disney Cruise line...it's full of info. During your reading I am sure you will have questions for clairfication..Remember no question is silly or dumb...we have all been in your shoes at one time or the other..That's my 2 cents worth...I am sure I will think of other things as I sit here and ponder my 2nd Disney cruise..if I do, I will post them...
Great, thank you!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
disbride713
Loves Disney

1. Pack a carry-on bag containing items youíll need access to (since your luggage will not be at your state room when you board the ship) such as swimsuits, sunscreen, etc.

2. Make your reservations right when your window opens (ie. port excursions, dining reservations, etc.) including checking in.

3. Depending on how hungry you are when you board the ship, have lunch then take a tour of the ship. If youíre not too hungry, tour then eat!

4. We brought our own bottled water with us. This was nice to have when you were thirsty at night or in the morning but didnít want to head up on deck to get a glass.

Lastly, there's a ton of good information here that will help you plan for your trip so search and ask away. Have fun on your trip!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
UrlGirl54
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disbride713
1. Pack a carry-on bag containing items you’ll need access to (since your luggage will not be at your state room when you board the ship) such as swimsuits, sunscreen, etc.

2. Make your reservations right when your window opens (ie. port excursions, dining reservations, etc.) including checking in.

3. Depending on how hungry you are when you board the ship, have lunch then take a tour of the ship. If you’re not too hungry, tour then eat!

4. We brought our own bottled water with us. This was nice to have when you were thirsty at night or in the morning but didn’t want to head up on deck to get a glass.

Lastly, there's a ton of good information here that will help you plan for your trip so search and ask away. Have fun on your trip!
Thank you, thank you! Those are great tips!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
disbride713
Loves Disney

Oh and dine at Palo, it's so worth the extra cost!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
owigotprcd
Earning My Ears

Take a clear show holder to help organize your stuff in the cabins. That was the biggest lifesaver ever and we now use it for our camper as well! We put all of our meds (Tylenol, tums...), hair ties, brushes and anything we wanted easy access to in there.

Order warm cookies at night and milk. They are huge so one per person is enough. We love cookies and ordered 2 or person the first night and I was so thankful for the easy access to tums!

Bring a highlighter for the navigator. There is so much to do each day, each hour you can easily lose track.

Join the FE group. It added so much to our trip and was worth every dime we spent and all the energy we put into making the other stuff. I was worried that I wouldn't get out of it what I put into it. I got so much more and so did hubby and my girls.
owigotprcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
UrlGirl54
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disbride713
Oh and dine at Palo, it's so worth the extra cost!
We definitely planned on that!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
UrlGirl54
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by owigotprcd
Take a clear show holder to help organize your stuff in the cabins. That was the biggest lifesaver ever and we now use it for our camper as well! We put all of our meds (Tylenol, tums...), hair ties, brushes and anything we wanted easy access to in there.

Order warm cookies at night and milk. They are huge so one per person is enough. We love cookies and ordered 2 or person the first night and I was so thankful for the easy access to tums!

Bring a highlighter for the navigator. There is so much to do each day, each hour you can easily lose track.

Join the FE group. It added so much to our trip and was worth every dime we spent and all the energy we put into making the other stuff. I was worried that I wouldn't get out of it what I put into it. I got so much more and so did hubby and my girls.
Awesome!! Do you think it's alright to join the FE, even though we won't have any kids with us? I definitely want to.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #10
super mike b
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't over plan. Just roll withit and have fun!
super mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #11
dahuffy
Always Be Nice To The Lunch Lady

See if there is a "Meet Group" for your particular sail date and make some new friends before the cruise! You'll get to know each other over the coming months and when you finally get to physically see each other,you'll feel like long,lost relatives.

Also, that is how you get involved the the Fish Extender. You don't have to have kiddos to get in it...we don't and we've planning DCL cruise #4 with about 50 or 60 "Relatives" for July of '14.

Just have fun!
dahuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
UrlGirl54
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by super mike b
I wouldn't over plan. Just roll withit and have fun!
Awesome!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
UrlGirl54
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahuffy
See if there is a "Meet Group" for your particular sail date and make some new friends before the cruise! You'll get to know each other over the coming months and when you finally get to physically see each other,you'll feel like long,lost relatives.

Also, that is how you get involved the the Fish Extender. You don't have to have kiddos to get in it...we don't and we've planning DCL cruise #4 with about 50 or 60 "Relatives" for July of '14.

Just have fun!
Wonderful, thanks for the advice!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: