Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

Applied for Graduation. So amazing.

From college! Eeeek, so excited and yet totally scared to death. I should be graduating in December (I went part time my first semester, so I'm a few classes behind).
I just have three classes to take this fall, and then I'm finished. I also get credit for my internship this summer

A little back story on why this means so much.

I was at a point about 8 years ago, where I didn't think I would ever graduate college, and maybe would have been stuck with a GED too. I always wanted to do this, but I got so sick physically, and went through some rough rough personal times at the ripe age of 10-14.
I couldn't make it to school, and had to have a teacher come to my house. I finished my first semester of high school with two credits, compared to everyone else's 6 after needing two operations that fall.

My mom found me an amazing alternative high school. I was different than everyone else, that is for sure. I worked my butt off, and graduated a year early! (2009 instead of 2010 had I been in a traditional high school). I cried giving my graduation speech.

Then I set my sites on college, like I always deep down knew would happen. After rocking it out my first semester (straight A's), I enrolled full time. I've passed every class, joined a sorority, moved out on my own. I managed through my rough patches, and had a job this entire time.

Now its all set to pay off. I know I will cry after my last exam. I WILL walk next May. I want one of those darn graduation outfits (my high school just had us dress up). This summer I get to intern at one of the Worlds Greatest Sporting Venues, a little dream I had before my life spiraled.

I wouldn't trade this for anything else. I hope I can inspire other people in my shoes that its possible. Hard work pays off.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #2
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie View Post
From college! Eeeek, so excited and yet totally scared to death. I should be graduating in December (I went part time my first semester, so I'm a few classes behind).
I just have three classes to take this fall, and then I'm finished. I also get credit for my internship this summer

A little back story on why this means so much.

I was at a point about 8 years ago, where I didn't think I would ever graduate college, and maybe would have been stuck with a GED too. I always wanted to do this, but I got so sick physically, and went through some rough rough personal times at the ripe age of 10-14.
I couldn't make it to school, and had to have a teacher come to my house. I finished my first semester of high school with two credits, compared to everyone else's 6 after needing two operations that fall.

My mom found me an amazing alternative high school. I was different than everyone else, that is for sure. I worked my butt off, and graduated a year early! (2009 instead of 2010 had I been in a traditional high school). I cried giving my graduation speech.

Then I set my sites on college, like I always deep down knew would happen. After rocking it out my first semester (straight A's), I enrolled full time. I've passed every class, joined a sorority, moved out on my own. I managed through my rough patches, and had a job this entire time.

Now its all set to pay off. I know I will cry after my last exam. I WILL walk next May. I want one of those darn graduation outfits (my high school just had us dress up). This summer I get to intern at one of the Worlds Greatest Sporting Venues, a little dream I had before my life spiraled.

I wouldn't trade this for anything else. I hope I can inspire other people in my shoes that its possible. Hard work pays off.

Without reading what you went through, well, graduating from college is a WONDERFUL feeling. Add to that your trials, and it is time to celebrate you!!!

CONGRATS!!!!
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
Callie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbag Lady View Post
Without reading what you went through, well, graduating from college is a WONDERFUL feeling. Add to that your trials, and it is time to celebrate you!!!

CONGRATS!!!!
Thanks. I know that was really long and deep, but I just wanted to put it out there. It was rough. I cannot wait for December!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

We DO expect a photo of you in your cap and gown!

I LOVED turning in my grad check. I don't know if that is what they still call it, but it just meant I was so close and nearly done.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #5
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Congrats Callie! Congratulations on a huge accomplishment. Good luck to you and in your future, may you succeed, with a many well wishes, PizzieDuster Go get em!
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Callie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbag Lady View Post
We DO expect a photo of you in your cap and gown!

I LOVED turning in my grad check. I don't know if that is what they still call it, but it just meant I was so close and nearly done.
Mine was just called an Application for Graduation. I met with my adviser to make sure everything was set. Lets hope I pass these 3 classes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: