Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Mommy2TwoMickeys
DIS Veteran

Add Lysol, Hand Cleaner, Etc. To Your Packing List

We just returned from our WDW stay, 3/2-3/8. My 1 1/2 yr old niece started throwing up on Tuesday as we had just arrived at T-Rex for dinner, so my SIL and family took her back to their resort(SoG). No sooner did they get into their lobby, my 3 1/2yr old nephew started throwing up and running to the bathroom. In the middle of the night my SIL's husband started throwing up and running to the bathroom all the way through Wednesday Night. on Thursday, my husband(we were staying at the Polynesian) started with the same thing. LUCKILY, myself and my 2 sons DID NOT catch the bug , but we were only 3 out of 11 people that were lucky. Hope this is gone for anyone's upcoming trip.

I did not know until looking on the boards today that their is supposedly a stomach virus going around WDW.
Oct.2007-WL,Sept.2008-WL,Dec.2009-Polynesian,Oct.2010-AKL_Grand Villa,Sept.2011-Polynesian, Oct.2012-Polynesian,Mar.2013-Polynesian,Nov.2013-VGF_2BR Lake View,May 2014-BWV_1BR BoardwalkView, Dec.2014-VGF_Grand Villa

Mommy2TwoMickeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
pooh2001
been there, done that, TRYING to go back

ditto

We clean the bathroom, all handles and the drawers with Clorax cleaning wipes.

We also carry hand sanitizer in our carry around bag. We use the hand sanitizer before we eat anything.

We also like TS, better than CS - less germs and no buffets with possible germs being shared.

Packed foods to buy are great - ice cream, ice pops, water bottles.
No popcorn b/c it has an open container.
Sometimes coffee, for DH if he thinks it was fresh brewed.

Good plan for us,
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
RunningWithScissors
Wife, Mom, Alabama Football GradFan

I know they may be harsh on skin, but I wouldn't stop short of wiping hands with Clorox cleaning wipes or spraying them with Lysol! There are some germs that you can't kill with hand sanitizer, but bleach will do the trick! Vigorous hand washing with plenty of soap helps, too.

I just made the Target run for our Disney supplies yesterday as we leave in 9 days. Lysol was the first thing I picked up!! Spray EVERYTHING!!
Old 03-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
bear_mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh2001 View Post
ditto

We clean the bathroom, all handles and the drawers with Clorax cleaning wipes.

We also carry hand sanitizer in our carry around bag. We use the hand sanitizer before we eat anything.

We also like TS, better than CS - less germs and no buffets with possible germs being shared.

Packed foods to buy are great - ice cream, ice pops, water bottles.
No popcorn b/c it has an open container.
Sometimes coffee, for DH if he thinks it was fresh brewed.

Good plan for us,

Hand sanitizer doesn't kill norovirus. Soap and water - good old hand washing is the key there. We do use some hand sanitizer, but incorporate hand washing regularly also.

Emily
bear_mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
elfling8
Mouseketeer

Is Lysol allowed in checked baggage on airplanes?

Me DH
DD10 DS8
elfling8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfling8
Is Lysol allowed in checked baggage on airplanes?
Absolutely! It's really no different than hair spray. As far as it's in an aerosol can. There's really not much that you can't put in a checked bag.
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
elfling8
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
Absolutely! It's really no different than hair spray. As far as it's in an aerosol can. There's really not much that you can't put in a checked bag.
Thanks! I don't use hairspray, so didn't know you could bring aerosol cans Adding that to the list for sure. Hope it is gone by mid April

Me DH
DD10 DS8
elfling8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
mmmears
DIS Veteran

With so many tourists visiting every day, there is always a stomach bug going around WDW (or at least every time we have been there I've read about one here on the boards).

We always wash our hands and use hand sanitizer. And yes, we get Clorox wipes and Lysol for the room. Target sells a travel sized lysol-like spray that is small enough to be allowed in carry-on luggage.

We often get bottled water delivered to our resort (mostly through garden grocer) so then I just add the wipes and the Lysol to that order so we don't have to pack them.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post
I know they may be harsh on skin, but I wouldn't stop short of wiping hands with Clorox cleaning wipes or spraying them with Lysol! There are some germs that you can't kill with hand sanitizer, but bleach will do the trick! Vigorous hand washing with plenty of soap helps, too.

I just made the Target run for our Disney supplies yesterday as we leave in 9 days. Lysol was the first thing I picked up!! Spray EVERYTHING!!
I would never bleach my hands and then eat without rinsing my hands off. Then you may as well skip the bleach and just wash your hands.

On trick I think is brilliant is to put your tv remote in a plastic bag. Those things are covered in germs! Also, start now to pay attention to how often you touch your face. And try to stop. We all touch our faces a lot, and that is a great way to get germs into your system.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
suedaisy
Mouseketeer

I want to repeat the importance of hand washing with soap and water. Norovirus can be found in stool for up to two weeks after you are feeling better. SOAP and WATER.
suedaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
wdwmom3
Mouseketeer

It is the norovurs going around. Not just at wdw it's everywhere this time of year. My sons daycare had an outbreak last year. Not fun.

Hand sanitizers and wipes do nothing for this. Only actual hand washing. Hand sanitizers will just move the virus around. Only a fairly strong bleach solution (stronger then wipes) will kill it on surfaces. The virus is very contagious. If someone in the family gets it good chance everyone will.

Really all you can do is wash your hands lots with soap and water and cross your fingers.
wdwmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
clareita
Mouseketeer

There are tens of thousands of people at WDW every day - there is always a stomach bug, nasty cold virus, etc. going around. The only thing you can do is practice good hygeine and hope for the best. Although I do agree it is a good idea to give the hotel a good once over with Lysol when you check in.

Last summer my family was preparing for a two week vacation in Italy. I had my kids on a hand washing-hand sanitizer routine in the weeks leading up to the trip that would make someone with OCD think I was going a little overboard. The results for all of my vigilance? My oldest threw up on the plane to Rome and arrived at the hotel with a 102 degree fever. We discovered that my second daughter had a 103 degree fever while we were in a museum in Florence. I was waiting for my third child to come down with it in Venice, but fortunately that didn't happen. For our April trip, I'm not going crazy about germs - just normal hand washing.
clareita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #13
thisismyusername
DIS Veteran

Just as an FYI, there are some hand sanitizers that do kill norovirus. Clorox makes one, as does a harder-to-find one made by Germstar.

You also have to be careful that the spray/wipe products you're using in your room kill noro. Many don't.

It should also be pointed out that not all stomach viruses are norovirus.
thisismyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #14
rocketmom
Earning My Ears

Regular hand sanitizer will not kill norovirus. Products containing Benzalkonium Chloride will help kill noroviuus (not sure if they will completely kill it). Wet Ones hand wipes have this and Germ X makes a foam hand sanitizer with this ingredient also. I have only been able to find the Germ X foam in a 7oz. bottle, so it is a little large. I carry the foam with me in my backpack to the parks, and use it after every ride and after the finger scan at the entrance. Clorox and Lysol wipes are good for wiping down the room. Clorox makes travel size wipes and Lysol makes travel size spray bottles.
rocketmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom

I would never bleach my hands and then eat without rinsing my hands off. Then you may as well skip the bleach and just wash your hands.

On trick I think is brilliant is to put your tv remote in a plastic bag. Those things are covered in germs! Also, start now to pay attention to how often you touch your face. And try to stop. We all touch our faces a lot, and that is a great way to get germs into your system.
Oh cool idea putting the remote in a ziploc bag!! I'm going to start doing that!! Thanks!!!
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: