Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #436
Piglets Mommy
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.
 
Piglets Mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pennsylvania....way too far north of the Mouse!
Posts: 7,365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet B View Post
Afternoon Peeps!!



Piglets Mommy, happy you had some adult fun time this weekend!! Panera bread by Wegmans and movie tavern? Yum, another place for us to meet and gab (but no adult drinks...hmm... oh we get them at the Movie Tavern!
That was my thought exactly! Too bad we can't take the Panera into the Movie Tavern
__________________
DH Me DS ,13 DD,10
Piglets Mommy is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #437
gwynne
DIS Veteran
 
gwynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: In the polar vortex
Posts: 2,772

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyberger View Post
I'll catch up with everyone in a bit, but wanted to reply to Ginny.

We stayed at CR, Atrium club level in Dec and non-CL in Feb. I paid a lot for upgrade to CL (I think it was about an extra $150/nt), but it was regular season and prices were high, so hopefully you can get it at a better rate. We had a BLV room and used the CL for watching Wishes and just looking out at the MK. The CL was never really crowded and we always found a table or room on one of the three balconies. The view from the CL is honestly worth every penny!

I have not stayed CL at any other resort on property but from what I have read the CL offerings do seem to be less than some of the other resorts. But we were happy with everything that was offered. Whenever we needed or wanted something that was not out there was always a CM ready to help. We loved walking off the elevator and walking right into the CL and being able to grab a snack, soda or juice. We even brought dinner up from Contempo Cafe one night and it was so nice!

Because the CR is so compact, no matter where you stay in the tower you are just steps away from the CL. The CL sits in the middle of the tower on the MK side and we stayed BLV second to last room from the end so just about as far from the CL you can be and it was still soooo close.

KOOK has mentioned before that booking a BLV when staying CL at CR is really the best of both worlds, and it really is! I loved the serenity of Bay Lake in the morning and sitting and watching the EWP at night.

Now with all that said, we stayed TPV in Feb (because CL was closed it was not an option). Becuase we drive, we brought our own waters, juices, sodas, and snacks and did not miss CL too much. I missed being able to grab a quick breakfast for snack, but now the DS being gluten free he would not have been able to have any of it anyway, so I was glad it was not there to tempt him. I am glad we stayed on the TPV side becuase the kids really loved it! And even though I missed the serenity of Bay Lake, sitting on the balcony at night and looking at the MK was truly magical Even DH (who doesnt care about that stuff) said to me that we really could not be more submersed in Disney than we were sitting on that balcony. If I had to choose I would probably do TPV again and if I could get GF breakfast and treats for DS, I would book CL again in a heartbeat!

If you have any specific question that I didn't cover, just ask! I am sure KOOK will chime in too

Melissa
Melissa, Thank you so much! Most of the time dh doesn't have a lot of opinions about our trips. I am very lucky that he tends to just ask the basics:
Where are we staying, what are we eating, are you booking us during F&W, and when are we going to Tower of Terror??
I had considered Contemporary, booked WL. CR was back on the possibilities after talking this weekend. Anyway, I just called Contemporary and they have availability with the extra night. Changed made, Booked!
So, new split is CR and YC. I need to get my dining ideas put down on paper...It sounds like California Grill will be re-opened when we are there, fingers crossed. I am thinking about trying to get a reservation about an hour before sunset, would be pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet B View Post
Afternoon Peeps!!

Iheart, a belated Happy Birthday to you DS!! And on a Chuck e Cheese note ... my DS had terrible problems with social anxiety...and Chucky was no exception... terrified of him but wanted to go to the party too...felt so bad for him... hope your DS managed to have a good time!
I heart-I hope the party went well.

Janet- My ds was much the same way, very shy. He liked the idea of Chucky Cheese, but didn't last long there. That was OK. I didn't too much mind having to leave a bit early.
__________________
GinnyCertified resort changer. Trip planning is half the fun!
TY Kook!

Last edited by gwynne; 03-11-2013 at 12:48 PM.
gwynne is online now  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #438
babyberger
DIS Veteran
 
babyberger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,787

I really hate losing my posts Trying this again, short version, sorry if I miss anyone.

Marie - glad DH is on the mend and there was even some Disney talk Hopefully you will be so busy at work the day will fly by and you will be back with DH before you know it!

Jen - I am pretty sure you can pay with cash? I don't want to pry, but why would you want to fly with the extra cash? I always am afraid my wallet, purse, DH's wallet, etc will get stolen and cash is not replaceable. Hope the girls have a great spring break and don't drive you too crazy

Dani - were you able to work you magic and talk Danimal out of going?

Koh1977 - so far POFQ is our fav moderate! I love how small it is!!! We always have a great meal at CRT, but it is SOOOOO expensive, you could probably have a better meal for the money elsewhere.

Janet - unfortunately short of getting the autism resource teacher fired, I am stuck with him. He is the one assigned to this area of the county. I am sure the asst principal will have something to say to his boss on my behalf Glad Sam is back in full swing! I need to get my butt back to the gym too! I wish I had a workout buddy!

Piglet - glad you had a great weekend! And even got some RC enabling in

Ginny - CONGRATS on your RC I honestly thing that YC/CR is the best split, considering they are my two favs!!!! Such different atmospheres but each have so many great attributes!

Kiddos were home today, both recovering from this nasty cold, they probably could have gone, but were so miserable this morning and DH offered to stay home with them so I could keep my dr's appt so it was a no brainer. Dr said everything looks good and it is probably scar tissue causing my pain, so I just need more time. I was so relieved everything was fine and nothing was really wrong!

I cant believe it is almost 3pm,, I have been up since 5am and feel like I have gotten nothing accomplished today

Hope everyone is having a happy Monday

P.S. Hey, where has Candace been lately? It is not like her to be away from us for so long? Is she busy on the other BC/YC board? Or did she RC again and not tell us
__________________
My Recent Deluxe Splurge Sept 2012 - YC, Oct 2012 - WL, Dec 2012 - CR CL, Feb 2013 - CR TPV
Starting the weekend trips again!

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds


Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
babyberger is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #439
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran
 
disneydreamin247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: staten island
Posts: 5,734

I don't have the heart to tell my baby boy he can't come to our favorite place. I'm going to have to suck it up and bring him. The only real problem I have with it is that a trip that was only costing about $1400 is now going up over $2000.
__________________
Dani DS DD
disneydreamin247 is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #440
gwynne
DIS Veteran
 
gwynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: In the polar vortex
Posts: 2,772

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
I don't have the heart to tell my baby boy he can't come to our favorite place. I'm going to have to suck it up and bring him. The only real problem I have with it is that a trip that was only costing about $1400 is now going up over $2000.
Would it be possible to delay the trip a bit? Everyone together sounds like a happy solution, but I understand getting the time/budget right is tricky. Fingers crossed you are able to work out something fun for all.
__________________
GinnyCertified resort changer. Trip planning is half the fun!
TY Kook!
gwynne is online now  
Old 03-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #441
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 15,380

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyberger View Post

KOOK - my mom swears we stayed in a treehouse when I was little, I think I remember it. But I also remember a townhouse type place Then again I also remember the blood blister I got on my finger from playing too much in the CR arcade I remember the weirdest things from my childhood! Needless to say we went to Disney a few times when I was growing up. I think it started when my grandparents moved to FL, we would see them in Miami then go to Disney or vice versa. Then somehow I ended up down here


Melissa
Your gin and tonic mile-high story was HI-larious! It made me wonder if CL sort of functions in a similar way with all those 'endless' drinks. DH once broke an empty CL wine glass and DD was so embarrassed, she quickly threw it in the garbage before anyone noticed

I would love to see one of your elusive Tree House photos. I love vintage WDW stuff. Did you get all dolled-up like for prom? I think I forgot to tell you how much I loved your photo, and I forgot to ask what was in that big box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyberger View Post
Oh yes, I have become a pro at catching those little lizards and taking them back outside where they belong
So glad you catch them as I hate finding the dried husk-o-lizard in a corner somewhere or garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGIC...itis! View Post
Hi RCers: I was hoping 2013 would be THE YEAR, but with fewer trips for us this year, hopefully 2014 will be our year to finish up the Resort list. Three big budget drainers are on tap for this year: A new roof and new windows, as well as a trip to the Masters in April. While not WDW, we're pretty stoked to go to Augusta. My WDW Resort-stay list is down to AKL, SAR, CBR, ASmu and AoA. I am at the point of ambivalence for most of these...I think. It is at the point that it is sooo much easier to book one of my faves over these Resorts more standard rooms, with obvious exceptions being the Cars Suite and the Treehouses.


KOOK: First off let me just say that Mike Douglas stole my heart as a little girl... and then Kramer's "Mike Douglas set episode" stole my mind and funny bone. One of the all-time best to be sure. Thanks for letting me re-live it.

Thanks also for the idea of the Treehouse. You've given me the idea for a perfectly rugged split stay -- FTW cabin and SAR treehouse. I had purposely blocked it out of my mind until now. I think I've mentioned here before lucking out and being the first to book one of the reno-ed Treehouse rooms entirely by chance... and then canceling it for a BC 2br villas for our Christmas 2007 trip? Yep, I cancelled a brandy-spanking new room. That said, every time DH and I sail past them we oooh and ahhhh.
We had such a horrible one-night CBR experience that I don't think I could ever go back. If we weren't there for only one night and were dead tired after 14 hours of driving, I would have changed, but we went on to CR the next day and all was (sort of) forgotten. So I just can't recommend CBR. But, I like the FWC/Tree House idea, but are you sure you don't want to do a little tent camping in between?

Mike Douglas was great and so was Dick Cavett and the Galloping Gourmet! As I child, I remember my mom also watching Dinah Shore - good times, good times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimo2u View Post

I'm back to work on Tuesday after being off for 2 weeks since the incident. I am not looking forward to leaving him home alone that'll be hard! My mind just isn't into work right now!
Thank you all for the love and support. I am so blessed to have you wonderful ladies as my friends! love y'all!

Marie
I hope everything goes smoothly for you and DH tomorrow. Maybe DH can make some reservations while he's home alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne View Post
Hi RC friends! We're on the countdown to spring, 9 days!


RCers,
I would so appreciate any thoughts/recommendations about the Atrium Club. Dh asked about the plan for Sept yesterday, I guess he's been thinking about Contemporary. We've never stayed there, when I first mentioned it he wasn't thrilled. Sounds like in the meantime he's been pondering it, and it went on the short list.
Melissa took the words right out of my mouth. We love CR's BLV for all the reasons she posted and if you stay CL, you can go to the lounge to see and hear Wishes and enjoy the view during the day, too.

I like your spring countdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyberger View Post
I'll catch up with everyone in a bit, but wanted to reply to Ginny.

We stayed at CR, Atrium club level in Dec and non-CL in Feb. I paid a lot for upgrade to CL (I think it was about an extra $150/nt), but it was regular season and prices were high, so hopefully you can get it at a better rate. We had a BLV room and used the CL for watching Wishes and just looking out at the MK. The CL was never really crowded and we always found a table or room on one of the three balconies. The view from the CL is honestly worth every penny!

I have not stayed CL at any other resort on property but from what I have read the CL offerings do seem to be less than some of the other resorts. But we were happy with everything that was offered. Whenever we needed or wanted something that was not out there was always a CM ready to help. We loved walking off the elevator and walking right into the CL and being able to grab a snack, soda or juice. We even brought dinner up from Contempo Cafe one night and it was so nice!

Because the CR is so compact, no matter where you stay in the tower you are just steps away from the CL. The CL sits in the middle of the tower on the MK side and we stayed BLV second to last room from the end so just about as far from the CL you can be and it was still soooo close.

KOOK has mentioned before that booking a BLV when staying CL at CR is really the best of both worlds, and it really is! I loved the serenity of Bay Lake in the morning and sitting and watching the EWP at night.

Now with all that said, we stayed TPV in Feb (because CL was closed it was not an option). Becuase we drive, we brought our own waters, juices, sodas, and snacks and did not miss CL too much. I missed being able to grab a quick breakfast for snack, but now the DS being gluten free he would not have been able to have any of it anyway, so I was glad it was not there to tempt him. I am glad we stayed on the TPV side becuase the kids really loved it! And even though I missed the serenity of Bay Lake, sitting on the balcony at night and looking at the MK was truly magical Even DH (who doesnt care about that stuff) said to me that we really could not be more submersed in Disney than we were sitting on that balcony. If I had to choose I would probably do TPV again and if I could get GF breakfast and treats for DS, I would book CL again in a heartbeat!

If you have any specific question that I didn't cover, just ask! I am sure KOOK will chime in too

Melissa
I'm chiming in to say that my chime isn't really needed - great job, Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne View Post
Melissa, Thank you so much! Most of the time dh doesn't have a lot of opinions about our trips. I am very lucky that he tends to just ask the basics:
Where are we staying, what are we eating, are you booking us during F&W, and when are we going to Tower of Terror??
I had considered Contemporary, booked WL. CR was back on the possibilities after talking this weekend. Anyway, I just called Contemporary and they have availability with the extra night. Changed made, Booked!
So, new split is CR and YC. I need to get my dining ideas put down on paper...It sounds like California Grill will be re-opened when we are there, fingers crossed. I am thinking about trying to get a reservation about an hour before sunset, would be pretty.


Janet- My ds was much the same way, very shy. He liked the idea of Chucky Cheese, but didn't last long there. That was OK. I didn't too much mind having to leave a bit early.
Is YC Regatta Club? Might be hard to go from CL to non-CL.

Oh no, bad Yucky E. Cheese memories are flooding back... When DD was about 4, we attended a birthday and DD was going through an enclosed tube when she looked through the window down at me, but seemed disturbed. She finally came out the tube and announced that there was a 'yucky sock in there.' I'll never forget her face and I think she just wanted to go home after that.
WDWKOOK is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #442
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO
 
letthewookiewin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,704

Just wanted to pop in and say hello. I don't know if it's just coincidence, or if the boys shared their germs, but I have the same thing they do. I would miss class tomorrow, but we are still planning on going to San Antonio at the end of the month. Well, that is if we can finally get our tax return, which we still do not have.
__________________
Me(38)DH(38) DS16 DS15 Bug R.I.P. 8/20/11
'81-OS/w parents; 3/94-OS/w HS band & met future DH; 7/00-OS,5th wedding anny; 3/04-CBR,DS's 1st trip; 10/06-WL,MNSSHP; 6/12-PC; 9/13-Swan/AKL SV; 5/14 DL; 9/14 BWI - Girl's Only Trip


"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #443
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran
 
jennyjinx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 4,663

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyberger View Post
Jen - I am pretty sure you can pay with cash? I don't want to pry, but why would you want to fly with the extra cash? I always am afraid my wallet, purse, DH's wallet, etc will get stolen and cash is not replaceable. Hope the girls have a great spring break and don't drive you too crazy
Melissa: I have been collecting US cash for a while, and am trying to avoid another 2.5% conversion fee on my credit card. I hate that fee. So, thinking if I just brought the cashola, I could avoid it. Don't know how else to do it. Even if I used my Redcard credit card from Target, and bought Disney gift cards in Buffalo before we get to the airport, I am going to pay the darned fee again.
__________________
me and DH DD9, DD8, DD5 Thanks Kook!
jennyjinx3 is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #444
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran
 
Grumpy Grandma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SACRAMENTO CA
Posts: 3,220

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Melissa: I have been collecting US cash for a while, and am trying to avoid another 2.5% conversion fee on my credit card. I hate that fee. So, thinking if I just brought the cashola, I could avoid it. Don't know how else to do it. Even if I used my Redcard credit card from Target, and bought Disney gift cards in Buffalo before we get to the airport, I am going to pay the darned fee again.
Could you use the US cash you are collecting, buy the Disney gift cards in Buffalo and then you'd still save the 5%????

On another note .... so excited just got word that the Diva group is going to book a block of rooms at the Grand Californian (GC) at a very good discount for our trip next year!!!

Heading out mid morning for a week in So Cal to visit with the kids ... this is the trip I am using my Jet Blue credit on .... so no money out of pocket right now ....
__________________
Grumpy Grandma is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #445
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran
 
jennyjinx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 4,663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grandma View Post
Could you use the US cash you are collecting, buy the Disney gift cards in Buffalo and then you'd still save the 5%????

On another note .... so excited just got word that the Diva group is going to book a block of rooms at the Grand Californian (GC) at a very good discount for our trip next year!!!

Heading out mid morning for a week in So Cal to visit with the kids ... this is the trip I am using my Jet Blue credit on .... so no money out of pocket right now ....

Linda: Hmmmm...you mean use my US cash to purchase the Gift cards? How could I save 5% doing that? I think my brain is fried, I must be missing something. Although, I do see that by using cash to buy the Gift cards I would not pay the Credit card fee.

Ooohh I think when we go to DL (one day) we want to stay there too!!

And yay for a trip to see your fam....sounds great! And cheap too! Perfect!
__________________
me and DH DD9, DD8, DD5 Thanks Kook!
jennyjinx3 is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #446
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran
 
Grumpy Grandma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SACRAMENTO CA
Posts: 3,220

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Linda: Hmmmm...you mean use my US cash to purchase the Gift cards? How could I save 5% doing that? I think my brain is fried, I must be missing something. Although, I do see that by using cash to buy the Gift cards I would not pay the Credit card fee.

Ooohh I think when we go to DL (one day) we want to stay there too!!

And yay for a trip to see your fam....sounds great! And cheap too! Perfect!
Ok my brain isn't working ... you'd have to use the Target Redcard to get the 5% off .... sorry .... my mistake.
__________________
Grumpy Grandma is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #447
babyberger
DIS Veteran
 
babyberger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,787

Jen - I just sent you an email.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
My Recent Deluxe Splurge Sept 2012 - YC, Oct 2012 - WL, Dec 2012 - CR CL, Feb 2013 - CR TPV
Starting the weekend trips again!

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds


Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
babyberger is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #448
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran
 
disneydreamin247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: staten island
Posts: 5,734

I've decided to switch things up a bit. I am going to see if I can use my discount for a Poly room in June, and go mod or value after the cruise, and for less nights.
__________________
Dani DS DD
disneydreamin247 is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #449
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran
 
jennyjinx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 4,663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grandma View Post
Ok my brain isn't working ... you'd have to use the Target Redcard to get the 5% off .... sorry .... my mistake.
No problem Linda, thank you for trying to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyberger View Post
Jen - I just sent you an email.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Thanks Melissa...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
I've decided to switch things up a bit. I am going to see if I can use my discount for a Poly room in June, and go mod or value after the cruise, and for less nights.
Dani: I can sense your brain doesn't stop does it? This sounds like the makings of a good plan though.
__________________
me and DH DD9, DD8, DD5 Thanks Kook!
jennyjinx3 is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #450
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran
 
disneydreamin247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: staten island
Posts: 5,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
No problem Linda, thank you for trying to help!



Thanks Melissa...



Dani: I can sense your brain doesn't stop does it? This sounds like the makings of a good plan though.
Never, ever, ever.
__________________
Dani DS DD
disneydreamin247 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: