Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #76
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrosa2 View Post
Totally agree... Pool safety should be taught at a very young age but even when it is taught, it doesn't stop kids from doing stupid things. I can't even begin to say how often I see kids (older ones especially) diving in shallow areas, horse playing around the edging of pools, etc., it's dangerous and they don't quite grasp the severity of the consequences until it's too late and someone gets hurt. Each time we've vacationed at Disney, we see stupid things happening in the pool area, most times parents are present and it's still a "free for all". I'm not saying this is what happened in this incident but maxiesmom is correct everyone needs to pay more attention.
Very true. I've seen the same things by pools, and often the parent isn't exercising common sense either. I am NOT saying that this was the case here at Pop, so no flames people, please.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #77
suemom2kay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinadv1 View Post
As an EMT I have performed CPR on a 13 year old before. There is no way to explain it unless you've done it. I can't imagine doing it on my own child. I admire the dad beyond measure for being able to hold it together to do this. Praying for the child and family.
I agree. I've performed CPR dozens of times. Not a pleasant experience to say the least. I cannot begin to imagine having to do it on my own child or other family member.

Kudos to Dad for his quick action. He may have saved not only his life but saved him from severe brain damage. One report said he had a pulse upon arrival. I just hope he wasn't down long.

Poor child and family. My prayers are with them.

suemom2kay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #78
sabrinadv1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suemom2kay

I agree. I've performed CPR dozens of times. Not a pleasant experience to say the least. I cannot begin to imagine having to do it on my own child or other family member.

Kudos to Dad for his quick action. He may have saved not only his life but saved him from severe brain damage. One report said he had a pulse upon arrival. I just hope he wasn't down long.

Poor child and family. My prayers are with them.
I read a report that he was breathing on his own when they transported him. That's a really good sign.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #79
Twinkletoes86
Earning My Ears

I am at the Pop Century right now, I saw the whole thing happen last night. It was not pretty. Yes the father was there and started CPR, many others were there to assist with the CPR, until the EMTs arrived. Total the boy probably had CPR for 10 minutes, they were still doing CPR as they wheeled him out on the stretcher. Many family members were there with the dad. Currently at pop the lifeguards are done at 8.
I was so relieved to see that he is still alive, things were not looking good last night. I pray this boy makes a full recovery, and for his family as well.
Twinkletoes86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #80
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes86 View Post
I am at the Pop Century right now, I saw the whole thing happen last night. It was not pretty. Yes the father was there and started CPR, many others were there to assist with the CPR, until the EMTs arrived. Total the boy probably had CPR for 10 minutes, they were still doing CPR as they wheeled him out on the stretcher. Many family members were there with the dad. Currently at pop the lifeguards are done at 8.
I was so relieved to see that he is still alive, things were not looking good last night. I pray this boy makes a full recovery, and for his family as well.
That must have been traumatic for you.
So happy that dad had familial support.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #81
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

This family needs prayer desperately! It's not good...
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #82
Twinkletoes86
Earning My Ears

Yes very traumatic. I have worked in a hospital for 3 years and never seen CPR, so seeing it for the first time here and on a teen was tough!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #83
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes very traumatic. I have worked in a hospital for 3 years and never seen CPR, so seeing it for the first time here and on a teen was tough!
Are you ok?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #84
Twinkletoes86
Earning My Ears

Yeah I am. Keep thinking about the family, Hoping things turn out for the best
Old 03-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #85
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yeah I am. Keep thinking about the family, Hoping things turn out for the best
Glad you're ok. I hope so too..
Old 03-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #86
smidgy
dimples

just so everyone knows (it seems like some don't) there are NEVER any lifeguards at the quiet pools at the moderate resorts.

(just don't want anyone sending there kids down to the quiet pool, thinking there are lifeguards)

and no, I don't want this to change. I would hate to see the pools close when the guards go home. we enjoy night swims.

my prayers are with this boy and his family. I see no "fault" at all.unfortunately accidents happen, plain and simple.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #87
Coopers2006
Coopers2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
The father was obviously right there at the pool, because the article says that he immediately began CPR on the injured boy. The thing about drowning is that it doesn't happen in real life the way it does in cartoons, a person drowning can look OK to an untrained eye (yes, even a watchful parent!), when they are really in serious trouble. Check out this link about what to be watchful for and for information about the drowning response. http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

If you have kids and they spend any time in the water, you really should take a look. Most childhood drownings happen while a parent is present and watching.
Thank you so much for the link to that article. My daughter almost drowned when she was a child and this article describes her spot on when I knew she was in trouble. Sharing with everyone!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #88
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopers2006 View Post
Thank you so much for the link to that article. My daughter almost drowned when she was a child and this article describes her spot on when I knew she was in trouble. Sharing with everyone!
That is a fabulous article and shows just how quickly something can be wrong, which is why I was so adamant to the parent who asked at what age can you send your child to a Disney pool without an adult, that this is a dangerous thing to do.

In the article:
Quote:
And parents – children playing in the water make noise. When they get quiet, you get to them and find out why.
http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #89
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Thank you for that article.

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #90
Bonnie151
DIS Veteran

That poor family! That is just awful

I agree with the others - it can happen so fast. Last year we were at an indoor waterpark and DS(10) was playing in the wave pool which was deeper than his height. DD and I were in the paddling bit at the edge so I could keep an eye on DS. He was fine and then got a funny look on his face. I shouted to ask if was OK but he just stared at me. I swam over, grabbed him and dragged him to the handrail at the edge- only about 7 feet away! He'd all of a sudden just gotten really worn out and couldn't keep afloat. He's a strong swimmer- swims in a swim squad and trains several times a week, but even a good swimmer can get into trouble with little warning.

Yes I can spell, but my iPad quite often thinks I'd rather type gibberish.
Bonnie151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drowning, pop

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: