Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
iambrink
Mouseketeer

sand at BC/YC pool

Anyone ever bothered by the sand bottom pool at BC? I have been considering a stay there in November, but i am not sure i like the idea of a sand bottom pool. Does it get in your eyes? do kids ever complain about it? I have been to the beach many times, but this just seems odd...is the sand throughout the entire pool?

thanks for your thoughts.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

The sand is not your regular beach sand. It's not floating around in the water. It stays at the bottom of the pool, no matter how kicked around. So since it stays on the ground, the likelihood of it getting in your eyes is incredibly slim.

The sand bottom is only in certain sections. If my memory serves me correctly, the lazy river I believe does not have a sand bottom.

There is usually NO complaints. It's really cool to feel the sand bottom in a pool!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
mmmears
DIS Veteran

It's not the kind of sand that gets in eyes or sticks to your feet. It's more like teeny tiny pebbles (rougher, not like powdery sand) so it sinks to the bottom of the pool and does not get swept up when the water moves. There are parts of the pool that have no sand in them at all. But IMO the sand makes the pool more fun.

ETA: There is a big sandy play area that is part of the pool area and it does have water in it. But it's very shallow and meant more for sand play -- not really a "pool" unless you are very young and small.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
iambrink
Mouseketeer

Knowing it is not "regular" sand is helpful. I did visit the BC for dinner on a previous vacation and my kids both said they wanted to stay at the BC for our next trip. so they may enjoy the sand pool.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

We only got to experience the Yacht Club once, years ago when my daughter was young. We had a hard time getting her out of the pool to experience Disney World -- she loved the pool. As she put it, "it's the coolest pool in the world."

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Couchy
DIS Veteran

Your kids will love it. The sand is not normal sand and it does not stick to you. It is the best feeling to walk in a sand bottom pool

4 trips as a kid.2002-Westgate, 2004 -Hilton DTD, 2005 -Westgate, 2007 -Royal Sun DTD, 2008 Hilton DTD, April 2011 -Swan, Dec 2011-Dolphin/ Yacht Club , Feb 2012 -Solo@Swan , April 2012-Dolphin with our friends, june/july 2012 - Beach Club
Couchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
ready2vacation
Mouseketeer

I have to say that my family and I did not care for it when we stayed at YC a few years ago. I know people LOVE SAB, but the sand creeped me out a bit. It wouldn't keep me from enjoying the pool or staying at YC, but just like at the beach....I like to see exactly what I'm stepping on/in.

No flames please
ready2vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
jemmouse
DIS Veteran

It definitely is a coarser grade of sand. My DS got a bad rash from it BUT he also does at the beach as well. This was quite a few years back, I would like to try again BUT DS now 12 says no way. Having learned now from the pediatrician, we now lather son up with a cream such as Vanicream its usually behind the pharmacy but you can get without a prescription, then do sunblock. Then as soon as he is out of sand he has to rinse off immediately. When we follow this all is usually pretty well. And if he gets the rash its hydrocortisone time and is usually gone by the next day...Ok I think I just went around your whole question of the thread

Anyway the pool is awesome but I too wish it had NO sand....
Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

The sand is not "real" sand. It is made so it stays at the bottom of the pool and does not float. It will not bother anyone underwater. It is throughout te pool but there are not loads of it everywhere. You can dig with you feet to feel the bottom of the pool.

I like the sand in the pool. It is a nice touch...

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354

FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
iambrink
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemmouse View Post
It definitely is a coarser grade of sand. My DS got a bad rash from it BUT he also does at the beach as well. This was quite a few years back, I would like to try again BUT DS now 12 says no way. Having learned now from the pediatrician, we now lather son up with a cream such as Vanicream its usually behind the pharmacy but you can get without a prescription, then do sunblock. Then as soon as he is out of sand he has to rinse off immediately. When we follow this all is usually pretty well. And if he gets the rash its hydrocortisone time and is usually gone by the next day...Ok I think I just went around your whole question of the thread

Anyway the pool is awesome but I too wish it had NO sand....
Oddly enough, my DS gets a rash at the beach too, so your story is good to keep in mind!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
cjnix29
DIS Veteran

not a fan of the sand bottom, especially after walking all day at the parks. It actually really hurt my feet to walk on it. So we actually spent more time at the quiet pool.
2005 OKW, first trip with DS
2006 WL
2007 POLYNESIAN 2008 All Star Music
2009 Surprise birthday trip for DS offsite
2009 Holidays at the World , POFQ
2010 New countertops, or Disney?....,we chose the Contemporary, Club Level MK view and the Yacht Club!
Trip Report from the most awesome trip ever! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2565514
2012 BLT
8/25/12 First Cruise on the Fantasy to celebrate over 130 pounds lost!
cjnix29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
jemmouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambrink View Post
Oddly enough, my DS gets a rash at the beach too, so your story is good to keep in mind!
The pediatrician actually said any cream will work because it acts as a barrier between the skin and elements. He just preferred that cream...

Rashes stink, sorry to hear your son goes through it as well.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #13
tinkbyday
DIS Veteran

I have the odd child, I guess - my DD was grossed out by the sand at the bottom - SOB has been her least favorite pool of all properties we have stayed at so far.

Dec 09 YC CL Jan 09 YC Apr '08 WL and POR Jan '07 BWI Nov '05 Swan Oct '03 CBR
tinkbyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #14
singastory
Are you sure this water's sanitary? It looks questionable to me!!

I love it! It's nice on your feet when you're in a little deeper. I found that it's a little rough to kneel on in shallower water, but other than that I had no problems with it. I HATE normal sand... love the beach but hate being on it. This gets a thumbs up!

singastory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:55 PM   #15
kimszath
Lover of Everything DISNEY!!!

LOVE the sand at Stormalong Bay!

The first time we stayed at BCV and got into the pool, I immediately thought, "Ewwww!!!!" A minute later, I loved it! It was just unexpected. My son loves it--he's 13, and we've been going for 8 years. NO issue with rashes or sand sticking to us at all. I don't even recall seeing it on the pool deck in places other than the "beach" area for the little teeny kids.

kimszath is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: