Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World > Camping Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
*JoGo*
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to camping season!!

We first went camping last summer. Once was primitive tent camping for two nights. Then we rented a cabin (with bathroom!!) for a weekend.

My younger son loved camping and can't wait to go this summer. I'm pretty excited myself! We probably won't go until late June since we are going on vacation at the very beginning of the month.

We really enjoyed the Jellystone campground we went to last year. I'm thinking about trying a different one this year. It's a lot cheaper to tent camp but it's also a lot more work than renting a cabin (where we can cook inside, I am not a good -or even decent- campfire chef!). If we tent camp, we can stay longer... If we rent a cabin, we have more room, especially if it rains. I want a pop-up camper. Dh says no way (he doesn't camp with us).
*JoGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Jogo,

Where are you thinking of camping? what area? where is the Jellystone campground you refer to?

Any state parks near you to camp at? We also stay sometimes at campgrounds next to navigable lakes and rivers operated by the US Corp of Engineers which are available at http://www.recreation.gov. The corps campgrounds are nice but usually basic. Those around us have power and water but no sewer hookup. A simple but nice bathhouse and the sites have a nice tent pad. Most are close to a water view being that they're on the lakes or rivers.

It's a nice way to introduce kids to the outdoors.

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
heartsy77
New BCV DVC owner!

http://www.campjellystone.com/find-a-park/

We also love Jelleystone's! We have 2 trips planned this summer one at the Cooperstown NY which is only 1.5 away from our house.

Cape cod's Jelleystone is where we are going for a week this summer for a proper vaca.

Quarryville PA has an awesome Jelleystone w/ a water park built in the campground!

We are super excited for camping season 2013! It's a non- Disney year for us which means more camping. We bought a new camper last fall on the way home form WDW we haven't even used it yet!
Old 04-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

My 2.999DS saw my fixing the popup in the grandparents garage and now he keeps asking to sleeping in the trailer.
I can't wait. oh and the wife is still not allowed to roast marshmallows after the great flaming incident of 2009.
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthuruscg View Post
oh and the wife is still not allowed to roast marshmallows after the great flaming incident of 2009.
Oooh, ooh, wait I want to hear this.

Okay, ready.

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

It is a tail as old as time. My wife was 6months along and was really having a craving for smores. She likes her marshmallows toasted but with burned edges. So she preceded to toast hers then towards the end when the marshmallow is really hot and sticky he quickly runs it thru the flames and then blows it out. It has work successfully multiple time this camping trip....
But things decide to go horribly wrong.

I am on the phone calling my parents to let them know their soon to be grandson is loving smores. Well they were not home so I had to leave a message, I am paying attention listening for the beep...when I see her marshmallow come out of the fire in full rolling flames. Now it looked like one of the flamming arrows, flames 2 ft high. Suddenly she whipped the marshmallow back and forth to put the flame out. That is the exact instant I realize a bright flaming object being flung not just in my direction but at me.

Time slowed down like in the Matrix and thankfully I was able to get all of my body parts out of the impending death. After dodging the fireball I look over at my lovely wife and she is starring at the tip of her stick with a rather puzzled look, wondering where did her flaming marshmallow go.

I tell my darling wife. Your marshmallow is gone, you tried to kill me with it.
Then for some reason my left foot started to feel warm. You know, it is a very odd feeling for part of your body to get hot especial for when you think there is no reason.

Now my wife is looking very sadly at her stick. Like she just lost a best friend. I look down and see that apparently I forgot to get my foot out of the flaming marshmallows path. I stare at it for what felt like a very long time, thinking that's odd my left boot is on fire, how is my boot on fire, why is my boot on fire. Then suddenly the adrenalin kicks in. HOLY !@#$%^&*() my foot is on fire.

Now I have pictured in my head that if something like this ever happened to me I would yell like a man, you know deep and with some sort or control. Let me tell you, get that thought out of your head. You will yell and screaming like a little girl.

Now what did they teach you to do in school when you are on fire? Stop drop and roll. Well the advise was not designed for when you foot is on fire from a flaming marshmallow that has attached its self. So after what felt like and hour of rolling around with no effect, it dawned on me that I need to stomp the fire out. So there I am stomping on my own foot. Well I now have both of my boots on fire.

Now I am stomping both of my boots, finally I realize that my naligne (water bottle) is sitting right next to me. I grab it and manage to pore the water on the left boot and the flame goes out. I rub the bottom of the right boot in the mud and get it to go out too.

If you remember, I was calling my parents. Well the answering machine recorded everything, luckily it also recorded me laughing and saying I am alive just before the time limit ends the recording.
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

Funny now, must have been terrifying then. I think it's time for a 2nd chance. Just stand clear of the marshmallow.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #8
divamoma
Earning My Ears

FW in October

We have reservations Sept 29 - Oct 5.

We have been put in Spanish Moss Lane before, but thinking about requesting Cottontail Curl. Has anyone stayed in Cotton Tail Curl? Are there sites you would recommend?
divamoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: