Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #16
bigvig1130
Mouseketeer

From what I understand, Disney will provide free upgrades when better stateroom categories are not selling. Since inside staterooms are the most popular (and cheapest) stateroom category, they are more likely to be upgraded for free to make room for another inside stateroom sale instead of trying to sell the more expensive stateroom. This is usually done near the sail date in a last ditch attempt to sell out the cruise.
bigvig1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #17
becca1976
Mouseketeer

I'm new to cruise terminology, what is the GTY you keep mentioning? I just booked a cat. 11 room for an Aug. 2014 Alaska cruise. We are way too poor to book anything with a porthole, let alone a verandah. I read a lot of stateroom reviews on this board, so did choose a specific room and the TA booked it for me. If I pray really hard, is there a chance to get an upgrade?? Or does that only happen for the GTY rooms that have been mentioned?

I'm not going to get my hopes up, but man that sure would be a nice surprise!
becca1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #18
FIREFIGHTERMICKEY
Mouseketeer

We have been on 9 Disney cruises and we have never been upgraded!!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #19
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

What if you don't want an upgrade? Obviously if take a suite upgrade but otherwise the Navigators Verandah is what we want.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #20
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca1976 View Post
I'm new to cruise terminology, what is the GTY you keep mentioning? I just booked a cat. 11 room for an Aug. 2014 Alaska cruise. We are way too poor to book anything with a porthole, let alone a verandah. I read a lot of stateroom reviews on this board, so did choose a specific room and the TA booked it for me. If I pray really hard, is there a chance to get an upgrade?? Or does that only happen for the GTY rooms that have been mentioned?

Once a certain percentage of room within a specific category are booked, the category goes guarantee (GTY). You can still select the category, but not a specific room. Your reservation would say something like 11C GTY, or 11A GTY. DCL will assign a specific room within the reserved categrory (or higher) at a later date. The upgrade comes in when (if) DCL assigns you to a, say, 9B room - you don't pay extra for it. Yes, upgrades can happen to those in specifically selected rooms also. There's no rhyme or reason to DCL's "pattern" of who gets an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
What if you don't want an upgrade? Obviously if take a suite upgrade but otherwise the Navigators Verandah is what we want.
If you don't want an upgrade, you call DCL (or your TA will) and have the request "DO NOT UPGRADE" placed on your reservation. You can only opt for "no upgrade" or leave it blank. You can't say, "I'll take a suite upgrade, but no others".

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #21
DizzylandDeb
DIS Veteran

We sailed on the Fantasy last April and were upgraded from our confirmed 9A OV cabin to a 7A veranda. Never got a call from DCL (or our TA Costco). About 45 days out, some people on our cruise meet thread were saying that they had been upgraded so I looked at our reservation and so were we! We our new cabin! Very grateful for the pixiedust!

Now, for our upcoming cruise on the Fantasy in 2014, I have picked specific rooms that I do not want to be moved from, so when I made our reservation I asked that a "do not move/upgrade" be placed on our reservation. The nice lady on the phone said she'd never heard of that kind of request. She even put me on hold to talk with a supervisor. She said that so long as you have a specific room number, they don't change your room Well, I know better than that because it happened to us previously as well as several other DIS friends. Not to mention that I know by reading these boards that others have requested on their reservations not to be moved. I didn't argue with her, I just called back at another time and put in my request.

But upgrades DO happen... randomly
DizzylandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #22
becca1976
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the information. I booked early enough that I was able to choose my own room. Good to know that there is always a chance (albeit very slight) that I might get some of that pixiedust. Regardless of the room I'm in, I know I'm going to have an awesome time. I can hardly wait. 2014 is SO far away! lol!
becca1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #23
Purdue Mouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca1976

We did Alaska July of 2012. We had cat 9. The cruise did sell out and there were no upgrades at port. We were one of the first families to check in. The ocean view room was just fine and we felt a veranda would not have benefited us and we were glad we didn't spend another $1k for it. There are plenty of viewing areas on board.

Wonder Alaska 7/23/2012
Dream 2/10/2011
Pop Century 12/27/03
Royal Carribean 2002 Phi Kappa Theta Reunion Cruise.
WDW Boardwalk Inn 10/16/01
Purdue Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #24
jenifred
Mouseketeer

We booked two Cat 11 rooms with our DVC points for September 2013. I assumed we would not be eligible to get an upgrade since we had room number assigned already. We have only been upgraded when we had GTY bookings. Is it even possible to get upgraded when booking on your points?

Last edited by jenifred; 03-15-2013 at 04:10 PM.
jenifred is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: