Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #16
AndiSlamberg
Mouseketeer

Feeling better! Thanks everyone!
AndiSlamberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
redkmom
Earning My Ears

Pop Century serves a purpose, but that's all.

We just returned from a trip to WDW and while we spent most of our stay at AKL, we stayed at Pop for our last night. I knew that it was a value resort so the lack of "deluxe" additions (plush towels, ornate lobbies, etc.) was fine with me and the front desk was very accomodating in moving us from our assigned room in Building 8 to a closer one in Building 6, but aside from that, I was not impressed.

First of all, the door to the room does not properly seal so there was light coming in the room from the outside hall all night. Also, the drain was broken in the sink and the sink basin was cracked.

The worst though was the food. We ate in the food court for breakfast and ordered their "bounty breakfast" which consisted of scrambled eggs, sausage, 2 pieces of bacon, 2 french toast sticks and a biscuit. It was awful. The sausage was inedible - it was stretchy and nearly bounced. The eggs were like styrofoam and were probably pre-frozen. The bacon was limp and the hash browns were flavorless and cold. Only the biscuit was edible. Three of these "meals" plus two chocolate milks and an orange juice added up to nearly $40. Just terrible. We should have just picked up a quick danish instead.

Pop Century is a brightly colored concrete-block motel that happens to have Disney sculptures placed periodically throughout the property. If you are looking for simply a cheap place to sleep and are able to find food elsewhere then Pop Centrury is fine. It serves that purpose. However, if you are looking for a "magical" Disney experience - look elsewhere.
redkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #18
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Pop is extraordinarily clean in both the rooms & the common areas. We are always impressed with the cleanliness there.

I agree with one downfall - which is also in other resorts - The MOVIE drives us nuts! Who ever decided that we should have a LOUD MOVIE for entertainment in the resort????

If you want to be entertained - go to the parks! I was ill & vomiting on one trip. The movie made me feel WORSE! It was so LOUD! I couldn't relax at all in my room, but I had to be there to be near the bathroom. Get rid of the movie! Please!!!!
Old 03-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
Karabee
DIS Veteran

It's amazing how people can have such different experiences - not only here but any resort. Or for me, the same resort at different times. My first stay at POP was fine and since it was only 2 nights, served its purpose. The second time was only for one night and I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I think what killed me was being on a ground floor near a pool where people hang out all night, the paper thin walls and the hard beds. I don't recall any of this from the first visit. Then again I had a horrible visit to WL which everyone else loves so you just never know!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #20
AndiSlamberg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiSlamberg View Post
This makes me a little nervous we're going to stay at POP for our first on site stay this November, be it only for 4 nights but still. A little worried now
We always stay at POP and we only go in November, and we've never had a problem with it being crowded or loud. You'll be fine.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #21
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

We liked Pop Century!

I've never had a problem at Disney with any of their value resorts. My room has always been cleaned everyday and fresh towels!Their towels are thin and I do take a couple of beach towels! I think I called once for soap and & they brought it soon. Compared to other hotels I have stayed in the rooms are smaller but you do have a Fridge/Cooler and a small table with two chairs.
The bathroom is divided with the vanity outside the tub area(which I like). They do not have a big long vainity across from the tub that we usually have in our hotels. The vanity is small! They do provide a very small safe(not for your computer), an ironing board and a hair dryer. It has two shelves to put things on beside (up above)the vanity that I found helpfull.
Your bedroom will not have your big luxrious Queen size bed with your down comforter. It will be a Disney themed bedspread that looks about $40. I don't remember the bed causing me any problem being so hard we couldn't sleep on it! To me the room serves its purpose, cheaper priced and like I said it was always clean!
I enjoy the gift shops, bus service, laundry facility( has more than one washer and one dryer), and having a food court to eat at! Sometimes we come back from the theme parks, get our food at the food court and take it to our room to eat by ourselves. I found the food to be the same at All stars and Pop. In fact we think its the same food you get all over Disney! LOL! Except for the tye dyed cheesecake! YUM! YUM!
As far as bus service I couldn't tell any different from staying at Pop or All star sports resorts. Except at the theme parks sometimes the bus for Pop was the farthest to walk to.
I feel like Pop is a little nicer than the three All Star resorts, just because food court, lobby and gift shop are bigger. When you pull up to it in your vehicle it looks newer and bigger on the outside! Of course the pool is not as pretty as AOA pool but it has a nice big flower pedal pool in the center. Movies has a nice pool!
Rooms at Pop & the three All Star resorts are the same. A standard room in the three smaller All star resorts is going to be alot easier walk to & from the lobby than from standard room at Pop or the new AOA. If you are going to stay gone all day then that won't matter except when you leave and come back! LOL! You can always do like I do and take you a few snacks and drinks for your room instead of going back and fourth!
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: