Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #76
monkeyman200
Earning My Ears

I might be crazy, but even before this thread, I had made a reservation for my 5 and 6 year olds with citystrollerrentals. I am simply trying to make this trip enjoyable for all of us (and we will be 3 generations on this once-in-a-lifetime trip) and I fully anticipate it to be the most wonderous experience for the kids and grandparents. Until this thread I had no doubts about my plan, and certainly didn't realize I could be judged negatively by society for my choice.....
monkeyman200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #77
aliceindisneyland
DIS Veteran

There seem to be a lot of stroller haters but I bet they would still complain--about too many screaming kids if more people were bullied out of using strollers. I have been hobbled many times by rude people but I do not fault the stroller. Strollers don't hobble people--people hobble people! Used a stroller til my kids were 7 and 5, tons more fun was had by all than would have been possible with kids walking all the way.
Keeping track just for me: 7/7/14-15 APs days at DL: 4
aliceindisneyland is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #78
larina
DIS Veteran

That website is disgusting. I didn't look very far because I have better things to do with my time than to judge folks I know nothing about (and care nothing about really) and will likely never see again. That kind of 'mean girl' mentality is just lost on me. Live and let live.

I'm kind of surprised at the amount of time some people seem to spend (waste) worrying about others (how they transport their kids, what size their stroller is, what they wear, where they do or do not take their children, what they bring, etc, etc, etc, the list seems to be endless) when they are supposed to be having fun at Disneyland. I guess I just do not care nearly enough about what others are doing OR about what they might be thinking about me.

Life is short, have fun! And if you need a stroller to do so, then make sure to have one.
larina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #79
profa
Mouseketeer

Wow we have some super kids here. I can't imagine most young children lasting 16 hrs anywhere but especially w/o a stroller.
I have ran marathons and my kids are fit and have ran 5ks at ages 7 and 8 so of course the 4 yr old is also active. The entire family skis every weekend. But I'm not trying to win any awards. I just want to have a nice vacation. I love the stroller. I don't know why people think they are a hinderance. It was never a problem. Last trip we had to have it as dd4 had a broken leg. But would have used it anyway. I put our water bottles in the stroller and some of the heavier snacks like trail mix. It' s nice not having the water on my back all day. There is no way that 4 yr old could keep up all day; she did walk a lot too and sometimes we parked the stroller but again it was never a problem. DH walks fast and we had a lot of ground to cover. Of course my boys wanted the stroller at times. As for carrying them no thanks. Dh has a bad back and I don't want one. I really don't see how carrying a kid is just SOO much better.
The PP said his wife goes often. Well in that case you aren't always trying to do it all.
I was a stroller person because I enjoyed having it to hold everything for myself and the 3 kids on outings even if they were walking.
Really not sure why parking a stroller in the stroller areas pisses people off. REally? wow, thinking life must be really good if that's what you have to get pissed off about.
profa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #80
Esaldana86
Earning My Ears

I have a 5 year old and I'm taking an umbrella stroller for him. He's tiny, 31 pounds and 35 inches tall.I'm concerned about him getting tired and also losing him. He's the kind of kid that disappears every time you turn around. I don't care what anyone else says, Strollers ARE allowed in Disney so do what you think is best for your family. Oh, and the stroller I found has Mickey Mouse ears on the canopy. How cute is that?
Esaldana86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #81
starshine514
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by profa View Post
The PP said his wife goes often. Well in that case you aren't always trying to do it all.
That's what I was thinking, too. We have a membership to our local zoo, and we don't feel the need to do everything every time we go. When we have guests with us, we do everything. But normally, if my kids want to spend an hour feeding the ducks or taking pictures of the giraffes, it's fine - we'll be back again soon. How wonderful would it be to treat Disneyland that same way? Let the kids toddle around at their own pace because you're a stay-at-home mom with two preschoolers that lives close enough to use Disneyland as a playground? That sounds awesome, but is unfortunately not how most of us are able to approach the parks.
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort
starshine514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #82
mamaCta
DIS Veteran

I also don't see any young (2-5yo) children in those photos.
How about this one?

and 1983

This trip is Me, DH, Sis21, DD15, DS6, DD3, and the ILs.

Disneybounding planning on mama-c.polyvore.com
mamaCta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #83
Kittylover513
Mouseketeer

We just went a few weeks ago. My DD is 4.5 and hasn't used a stroller for months. We did bring our small volo and by the 3rd day she used it much of the day. I knew she'd get tired and I knew we couldn't handle carrying her around all the time. When she wasn't in it it was a good place to stash stuff.

When we went the previous time when ds was 4.5 and dd was 11 months we had a bigger stroller with a buggy board on it...much less convenient.

If you have have an umbrella stroller I'd bring that for the 4 y/o
Kittylover513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:54 AM   #84
dadofnicholas
Mouseketeer

I took my then 4-year-old to Disneyland twice in 2012. I thought about using a stroller but in the end, I did not and was happy that I didn't. But this will vary from one child to the next, and one situation to the next.

1. Both times, we stayed at a Disneyland resort so less walking to start with.
2. We walked back to the hotel everyday after lunch for a nap - it was nice having a nap since we got early everyday. Nice to rest legs.
3. Planned our rides so that we didn't have to do a lot of waiting around and standing.
4. Took breaks or rode the trains to give our legs a rest. Of course, most if not all rides allow you to rest your legs.
5. My son has a lot of stamina especially when he knows that another cool ride is just around the corner plus he had a lot patience standing in line for the few rides we had to.
6. Took advantage of fast passes so less to no waiting later on in the day.

Don't get me wrong. Even with all of the above, we were pooped at the end of the day, which meant a great sleep! Personally, if we stayed off-site AND had no plans on returning to the hotel after lunch, I would have used a stroller. "I'd rather have one and not need it, then need it and not have one."
#1 trip: May 20-25, 2012 Disneyland - Grand Californian
#2 trip: October 13-18, 2012 Disneyland - Paradise Pier
#3 trip: September 29-October 4, 2013 Disneyland - Grand Californian (Halloween Party on October 1)
#4 trip (solo): January 16-19, 2014 Clarion Hotel (Tinkerbell Half Marathon - ran 5K, 10K, & Half-Marathon) - didn't visit parks
#5 trip: May 6-10, 2014 - Disneyland Hotel
#6 trip: Signed up for Dumbo Double Dare at Disneyland Half Marathon 2014!
#7 trip: Signed up for 5K & Half Marathon at Avengers Super Heroes 2014!
#8 trip: Signed up for Rebel Challenge at Star Wars Half Marathon 2015!

Thanks to everyone for their help, suggestions, and input! I know you've answered many similar questions in the past (and I swear I do search for similar posts) so it's greatly appreciated!
dadofnicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:56 AM   #85
alisonbestford
Can cope with the dentist after a glass or 2 of wine
Is a bit partial to dripping sandwiches

Stroller all the way
We used one until DD was 5 and it was fantastic for carrying all the bags even if she didn't sit in it much and wouldn't been seen dead in one at home
Old 03-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #86
merrysmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinup Mommy View Post
I am going to let you in on a game us breeders play...

1)We do not push a stroller to keep our little ones safe or comfortable; it is to see how many heels we can clip. We keep a tally!

2)We allow our children to scream in discomfort or tantrum, again to rack up points. We count how many dirty looks we can receive. (It is so much fun for us, really…can’t you tell?)

At the end of our trip we submit our totals to Tinker Bell and whoever has the most points wins a fancy dinner at Club 33 with our screaming children. We dare to want a nice meal too.

Our prime target are those who do not have children, those who do not remember what it is like to have little ones and our favorite the perfect judgmental parent who received a manual with the birth of their child.

This cracked me up! Thanks!

And, although this has already been discussed ad nauseum, we will definitely take a stroller for my 18 months old. And after watching my sweet four year old trot as fast as she could to keep up with us on our way to Disney On Ice last weekend, with not one single complaint, I am more inclined to bring one for her as well. She is such a thoughtful little soul that she will wear herself out rather than feeling like she is holding back the 12, 10, and 8 year olds. So I would bring one for her not because she couldn't walk, but because it is her vacation too, and if she is worried about keeping up, how much fun will she really have?

Really and truly, I have relatively inexpensive umbrella-type strollers and I love that they serve as a traveling locker of sorts. I pack snacks, diapers, wipes, water bottles, and sunblock in a generic (free from the hospital style) diaper bag on each stroller. If the whole setup goes missing, I'm out less than a hundred dollars and a quick trip to Walmart will remedy the situation!

merrysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #87
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

This is our Thread of the Week for the podcast coming out on 3/14.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #88
mamaCta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Jo View Post
Woohoo! I'm gunna be famous!

This trip is Me, DH, Sis21, DD15, DS6, DD3, and the ILs.

Disneybounding planning on mama-c.polyvore.com
mamaCta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #89
starshine514
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Jo View Post
So, we all need to be nice so it doesn't get locked!
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort
starshine514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #90
SGDisneyFam
Mouseketeer

I think comparing today to 1956 is beyond unrealistic. In the pictures ... That are now gone the first poster posted how many of those people were likely from Canada or Australia or around the world? Many families travel far and wide to come to Disneyland. Research for months and months. And spend upwards of $5-$10,000 per trip with flights etc. To the gentleman whose wife carries their children all over the parks without using a stroller yes maybe your wife is fit but your kids are just as lazy as mine if they need to be carried and not strolled. Maybe you're inconveniencing me by walking slower when carrying kids? Who knows ...who cares. You need to do what is best for your own family and only you know what that is

My kids are 6 and 4 and we haven't used a stroller for at least 2 years at home. We could very easily spend the day at our local mall amusement park, shopping going for dinner etc. but to do it on a multiple day level as in FIVE days in a row will likely hinder the enjoyment of everyone. And in our case that would be a whole lot of money to waste to not enjoy our trip.

DH and I have done solo Disney trips and let me tell you it is sooo much quicker to not have to go back to point a to get stroller or go out of the way to park it in the best spot, easier to get past crowds. But multiple 10-16 hr Disney days we couldn't survive without it. I am of course counting down until we no longer need it!!

SGDisneyFam is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: