Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #46
crundell
Mouseketeer

I appreciate everyone's honest responses. We will be going forward without passports. I know there has been a lot of discussion surrounding the cost - which in my case is not the issue. For the children, since we share legal custody, my ex and I would have to show up in person OR I would have to get an affidavit from him giving his permission. Since he currently is deployed my only option would be the affidavit which as you can imagine would be difficult to get in time to go on a March cruise. After this cruise if the children decide they like it I will go through the process of getting them passports.
crundell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #47
TheReeders
Earning My Ears

I think your best answer is calling the cruise line directly.
TheReeders is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #48
DisneyPhT
Earning My Ears

I agree that a passport is a no-brainer... but my wife are in a pickle right now. Or so it seems. We are 5 weeks out from our cruise and she doesn't have her passport; mine is still good from years ago.

We went to file her application a few weeks ago and were told that her birth certificate (govt issued) does not have the name of her mother and father printed on it... so, she had to file for a new birth certificate with the names on it this time! So we wait and wait for a new one to arrive so we can try to file a passport in time... I'm not sure what the lead time on passports is right now but we're nervous.

The option of not going with a passport and just the birth certificate (if we get that and no passport back in time!) is a possibility but all of the stories above make me nervous...

The cruise is Key West, Nassau and CC...

Can we somehow rush a birth certificate? The cruise was a last minute thing and we thought for sure we only had to file the passport application and wait the 4-6 weeks...

Options? Advice?

(ignore the ticker at the bottom... that's for the NEXT cruise in November! )

May 1999 - 3 Nights on the Magic * May 2000 - 3 Nights on the Wonder
July 2002 - 3 Nights on the Wonder * September 2004 - 3 Nights on the Wonder
December 2004 - 4 Nights on the Wonder * December 2006 - 7 Nights on the Magic
August 2008 - Eastbound Panama Canal - 15 Nights on the Magic
April 2013 - 4 nights on the Wonder * November 2013 - 5 Nights on the Magic !!!
DisneyPhT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #49
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

I recently got my passport in 2 weeks and that was not expedited. There are places in every region (maybe state--at least most states) where you can actually get same day passports. Well, that was the case a few years ago at least. The bureau of vital statistics would be able to tell you about expedited bc
meajuly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:12 AM   #50
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPhT View Post
I agree that a passport is a no-brainer... but my wife are in a pickle right now. Or so it seems. We are 5 weeks out from our cruise and she doesn't have her passport; mine is still good from years ago.

We went to file her application a few weeks ago and were told that her birth certificate (govt issued) does not have the name of her mother and father printed on it... so, she had to file for a new birth certificate with the names on it this time! So we wait and wait for a new one to arrive so we can try to file a passport in time... I'm not sure what the lead time on passports is right now but we're nervous.

The option of not going with a passport and just the birth certificate (if we get that and no passport back in time!) is a possibility but all of the stories above make me nervous...

Can we somehow rush a birth certificate? The cruise was a last minute thing and we thought for sure we only had to file the passport application and wait the 4-6 weeks...

Options? Advice?

I"m a passport person, but I would probably just go with the BC this time. Don't forget the certified marriage certificate/license (for Oregon it's the same, just with extra signatures, so whatever is the LEGAL certified document for you) if either of you changed names based on getting married. You probably won't need that, but might as well have it if you do!

I take it you don't live in/near the county of her birth? If you could get there, check the website of the registrar in her county. I tend to google something like "birth certificate ____ county" to find it. Many counties will actually let you walk in to apply and take it home that day.

Probably if you had scads of time, sending it off for the passport would take 4 days...but that sort of thing can't be relied on, and it's expensive to expedite the passport (one-day shipping to and from the passport office, etc), and if you don't need it for the cruise, I probably wouldn't worry too much about it.

OR if you haven't already ordered the BC, and you wanted to take a chance with the passport, you could order TWO certified copies of the updated version, and send one off for the passport. That way if the passport doesn't come on time, she could still go with the BC.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #51
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Options? Advice?

We had the same problem with my husband's birth certificate. We were ready to apply for our passports only to realize that his bc did not have his parent's names on it. That seems crazy to me that a bc would not list the parents but his didn't (Pennyslvania). We called the number we found online because he hasn't lived in PA since he was 2, and they gave us the website info. It was a bit pricey to get it quickly compared to getting one locally, but well worth it. We received it in plenty of time to get his passport. Good luck.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #52
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

Yes, you can expedite a birth certificate. Fastest way to get it is if you can go to your county offices where you were born. Next quickest option is typically to order online and pay a fortune for expedited service.
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #53
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrocker View Post
Yes, you can expedite a birth certificate. Fastest way to get it is if you can go to your county offices where you were born. Next quickest option is typically to order online and pay a fortune for expedited service.
Exactly! A small fortune but a fortune none the less.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

Old 03-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #54
DisneyPhT
Earning My Ears

Haha .. Must be a PA thing. That where we're from... My wife went to the local offices of the state representative and they are takin care of it... Hopefully a quick turnaround!

Old 03-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #55
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Haha .. Must be a PA thing. That where we're from... My wife went to the local offices of the state representative and they are takin care of it... Hopefully a quick turnaround!
That's great news.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #56
DisneyPhT
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Birth certificate arrived! Expedited the passport and the Passport arrived...in 2 weeks. Now, cruise time!

Old 04-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #57
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Birth certificate arrived! Expedited the passport and the Passport arrived...in 2 weeks. Now, cruise time!
So happy everything worked out for you.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #58
PatriciaH
I want to be an Imagineer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crundell View Post
I appreciate everyone's honest responses. We will be going forward without passports. I know there has been a lot of discussion surrounding the cost - which in my case is not the issue. For the children, since we share legal custody, my ex and I would have to show up in person OR I would have to get an affidavit from him giving his permission. Since he currently is deployed my only option would be the affidavit which as you can imagine would be difficult to get in time to go on a March cruise. After this cruise if the children decide they like it I will go through the process of getting them passports.
You may still need a letter of authorization or travel consent signed by the other parent to travel out of the county with the children.
78 Off Site, 89 Off Site, 93 Caribbean Beach, 94 Wilderness Lodge, 94 Caribbean Beach, 96 Dixie Landings, 99 Port Orleans, 00 Disneyland Hotel, 01 Coronado Springs, 02 Coronado Springs, 02 Port Orleans FQ, 03 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 03 Marriott DT Disney/Wilderness Lodge, 04 Animal Kingdom Lodge/Disney Wonder, October 04 Living in Celebration and loving it! 05 Paradise Pier/Grand Californian, 07 Disney Wonder, 07 Grand Floridian, 08 Yacht Club, 08 Adventures By Disney Viva Italia/Knights and Lights/DL Paris, 09 Grand Floridian, 09 Candy Cane Inn/1st D23 Expo, 09 Polynesian, 10 Summer Nightastic, 10 F&W's 15th, 11 Candy Cane Inn/DL/DCA, 11 D23 Scavenger Hunt, 11 Wilderness Lodge/F&W/MNSS/HHN/MVMCP/15th Anniversary Trip, 11 Xmas Trip, 12 WD Family Museum/DL Hotel, 12 F&G, 12 Sept Trip, 12 Wilderness Cabins/F&W/HHN/Fall Trip, 13 January WDW Trip, 13 Paradise Pier/DL/DCA/Cars Land, 13 Sea World/Universal/WDW, 13 Disney Dream/F&W, 14 HHN/F&W
224+ out of 224:
PatriciaH is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: