Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #31
wdwmom3
Mouseketeer

I thought I read somewhere that he hit his head but I may be wrong. People need to stop judging. He may have been a good swimmer and the parents may have been close by. If someone hits their head they could go under and drown in no time. The parents may have been there and looked away for even a few minutes. It's very possible he hit his head and slipped under and no body noticed for a couple minutes. Thats all it would take. They could have seen him and not realized he was in trouble and thought he was just under the water. People judging need to get out of their glass houses.

My heart goes out to this family. Hope he's ok.
wdwmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #32
kapoof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
The article says he drowned while playing with family members in the pool. It's entirely possible he had a seizure or something and that is what caused him to go under. Let's not crucify the parents just yet.
reread please no one is crucifying the parents!

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #33
kapoof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom3 View Post
I thought I read somewhere that he hit his head but I may be wrong. People need to stop judging. He may have been a good swimmer and the parents may have been close by. If someone hits their head they could go under and drown in no time. The parents may have been there and looked away for even a few minutes. It's very possible he hit his head and slipped under and no body noticed for a couple minutes. Thats all it would take. They could have seen him and not realized he was in trouble and thought he was just under the water. People judging need to get out of their glass houses.

My heart goes out to this family. Hope he's ok.
no one is judging, in fact i even stated accidents happen even under a watchfull eye.

me dh ds

2008 dolphin

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
Old 03-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #34
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Anyone who has been to any Disney pool knows how crowded and busy they can get, even with absolutely no "horseplay." Even the most attentive lifeguard(s) can only do so much. Someone slips on a step, loses their balance, cramps up, you name it, any one of 100 different things can happen. Horrendous thing to happen no matter what the cause.

Prayers to the family.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #35
wdwmom3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoof

no one is judging, in fact i even stated accidents happen even under a watchfull eye.
Saying "where are the parents" and then saying yes it does matter seem very judgmental. A boy could of died regardless of where the parents were. Why even bring it up. I'm sure his parents are distraught and beating themselves up about it even if they did all they could.

An accident could happen if his parents are 2 feet away or if they had walked off to go and get food. So no it doesn't matter where his parents are. Unless they have psychic abilities there is likely no way they could have prevented it.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #36
sarahhhmarie27
Earning My Ears

My prayers are with him and his family... Lets just pray for him to be okay. I've been keeping up with the articles its so sad! I knew someone there while this was happening who saw him get pulled out of the pool. I pray he has the strength to recover and the family is okay! <3
Old 03-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #37
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

I hope this story turns out okay and the boy recovers.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #38
OThopeful35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
The article says he drowned while playing with family members in the pool. It's entirely possible he had a seizure or something and that is what caused him to go under. Let's not crucify the parents just yet.
I agree. My prayers are definitely with the parents.

POR~Aug 2010 (1st visit) POFQ Aug 2011 POP/POFQ Aug 2013
OThopeful35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #39
kapoof
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom3 View Post
Saying "where are the parents" and then saying yes it does matter seem very judgmental. A boy could of died regardless of where the parents were. Why even bring it up. I'm sure his parents are distraught and beating themselves up about it even if they did all they could.

An accident could happen if his parents are 2 feet away or if they had walked off to go and get food. So no it doesn't matter where his parents are. Unless they have psychic abilities there is likely no way they could have prevented it.
and i meant it where were the parents?? where they in they pool with him? and he banged his head? or some place else? i mentioned before (hello?) and understand accidents happen even under watch. it was another poster who questioned watching a 13 year old, and that is where the 'judgement started' people were saying they in fact watch their kids even at 13 years old. no one is saying the parents weren't watching him.

me dh ds

2008 dolphin

Old 03-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #40
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoof View Post
reread please no one is crucifying the parents!
I can read perfectly fine, thank you.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #41
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

That poor family. I hope he recovers and is ok.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #42
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Another good reason why parents should watch their own children. I'm not saying the parents weren't watching in this case. Since I wasn't there; I have no idea what happened. Even though there are lifeguards, I don't take my eyes off my children. I don't even read a book unless they are in the kiddie splash pool. I was at a pool and there were no lifeguards - I forget what time they actually get off. There was a a boy that looked to be 5 year old alone in the pool. It was still sunny. The mom had her chair turned toward the sun with her back to the pool. Very bad idea, IMHO.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #43
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

I think it would be better if we donít blame the victims in this case, though. We donít know what happened, or how long the child was underwater.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #44
wdwmom3
Mouseketeer

Seriously people enough with the "parents should be watching kids". It is very likely they were there. Accidents happen. Stop trying to find someone to blame. My kids who are 10 and 12 went as part of a school trip to a water park and they are not strong swimmers. I reminded them to stay with buddies and not go in deep water. But I was not there with them. Other then life guards and checking in with supervisors every hour they were not being watched. I guess I was negligent for letting them go?

Who cares where the parents were. It does not matter at all.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #45
tmanaster
Mouseketeer

That is so sad. I wonder if the lifeguards were already off duty. We were just at AS Sports and I was struck with how vigilant the guards were. They never sit down or stop moving their heads. I was really impressed.

I hope this boy recovers.
Visit us at www.roadtriptheworld.com

Many DW visits as a child First Family Trip POR 2005 AS Movies 2006
ASMu/Fort Wilderness Cabins 2008 Pop Century 2010
Disney Princess Half Marathon~ Mom and Daughter trip! POR February 2011
Disney Princess Half Marathon Mom and Daughter trip! All Star Sports 2013
tmanaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drowning, pop

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: