Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

Which Dolphin excursion location is best??

A friend of mine is doing a DCL trip and isn't on the DIS!! (I'm trying to get her on board!!) Anyway, she's taking her kids (some older teens) on the cruise and she wants to know the best place to do a dolphin excursion!! They stop at Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands, Costa Maya, Mexico or Cozumel, Mexico?

Thanks for the help!! We did the dolphin encounter with our two younger kids at a few of the http://www.dolphinaris.com/Default2.aspx locations!!

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)
rescuetink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

Any help???

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Lobofan5
Mouseketeer

My family did the Dolphin trainer for a day at Cozumel. My kids were 14 and 11. It was just us in the group. We got a lot of quality time with the dolphins, special time to snorkel in their cove, a ton of photo-ops and an included lunch. They provided the cab ride there and back. It took the entire day. It was pricey, but worth it.

When we were leaving they also gave us 4 extra large blue Dolphin Encounter Cozumel towels that the guide said "Only the Disney people get"..which I believe.

Be prepared to pay extra for pictures..you will want them.

Oh, there was one guy from a different ship that had signed up for this with us, so it was us 4 and him. He didn't get a blue towel.

Last edited by Lobofan5; 03-10-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: forgot to mention...
Lobofan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
scrapycruiser
DIS Veteran

Our friends did the Dolphinaris in Cozumel last week and loved it ! I saw their pictures. Beautiful setting, I'd go there in a minute. Don't do the one in Costa Maya ! It's very small, right next to the port area, very unimpressive ! If you want a free dolphin show, then grab a couple lounge chairs next to the dolphins pens and enjoy. We liked the port area in Costa Maya. Clean, very nice huge pool w swim up bar. Grab a drink at Señor Frogs & some nachos. Didn't like the shopping. Either cheap souvenirs or expensive jewelry. Sorry, I know I'm off the op's topic.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
KingRichard
DIS Veteran

Push, pull and swim on Cozumel. A little pricey but she loved it. Bring extra for their Pics as they came out great.

GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder, Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
lovedmy1stcuise
Earning My Ears

we did push pull and swim at Cozumel Dolphin Discovery and kids (8 &10) enjoyed it, and afterwords we spend nice time at Chankanaab National Park as it's included in the price.
lovedmy1stcuise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
STLDisney_Freak
I don't have a short attention span, I just.....OH look a kitty! Cats are like potato chips you can't have just one! Chihauhuas, Shih Tzus and Pugs! Oh My!

We are doing Costa maya because we have other things booked in the other ports and there is nothing else we wanna do at Costa maya.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards so ignore my spelling.

Cruises sailed: 12/08 Magic - Western, 09/10 Wonder - DVC Member, 10/11 Dream - Bahamas, 05/13 Fantasy - Western, 03/14 -RC Brilliance of the Seas - STEELERS cruise! 10/14 - Wonder Double Dip
STLDisney_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
rescuetink

Thanks all...

...and please keep them coming!!!

Old 03-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
DCLShel
"Doesn't everyone have a 3-foot Mickey topiary in their house?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLDisney_Freak
We are doing Costa maya because we have other things booked in the other ports and there is nothing else we wanna do at Costa maya.

When is your cruise? We're booked to do the dolphin swim at Costa Maya, too, and would like to hear your opinion. We sail June 8th.
Disney Fantasy: March, 2012 (Maiden Voyage); June, 2013;Disney Dream: Jan, 2011 (Maiden Voyage); Disney Magic: Oct, 2004; Oct, 2005; Aug, 2006; Oct, 2007; Sept, 2008; June, 2009; June, 2011 Disney Wonder:Oct, 2006; July, 2008, June, 2012; Nov, 2013 Platinum Baby!

DCLShel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #10
STLDisney_Freak
I don't have a short attention span, I just.....OH look a kitty! Cats are like potato chips you can't have just one! Chihauhuas, Shih Tzus and Pugs! Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCLShel

When is your cruise? We're booked to do the dolphin swim at Costa Maya, too, and would like to hear your opinion. We sail June 8th.
End of May

Cruises sailed: 12/08 Magic - Western, 09/10 Wonder - DVC Member, 10/11 Dream - Bahamas, 05/13 Fantasy - Western, 03/14 -RC Brilliance of the Seas - STEELERS cruise! 10/14 - Wonder Double Dip
STLDisney_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #11
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Found these threads in a search.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ern+excursions

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....n+the+western+

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....n+the+western+
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:08 AM   #12
Docmom
Mouseketeer

We're not going until April but booked with Dolphin Cove in GC after reading some reports. They are less expensive than the DCL dolphin encounter as they have a cruise special rate. Kids 8 and under are free and they have complimentary transportation. For our family of 4 (with one DD 8) we will be saving around $200 compared to the DCL excursion. Depending on when you are going they also have an added excursion to Stingray city that wasn't a lot. Unfortunately it wasn't available for April 24th .
Docmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #13
KingRichard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docmom View Post
We're not going until April but booked with Dolphin Cove in GC after reading some reports. They are less expensive than the DCL dolphin encounter as they have a cruise special rate. Kids 8 and under are free and they have complimentary transportation. For our family of 4 (with one DD 8) we will be saving around $200 compared to the DCL excursion. Depending on when you are going they also have an added excursion to Stingray city that wasn't a lot. Unfortunately it wasn't available for April 24th .
Just read very carefully what is included.

We were going to do stingray, but bad weather canceled so we switched to Dolphin and bad weather prevented us from even going to GC.

After reading and talking with other families we found out that some of the programs put you in a pool with 30 other people and you get to touch the dolphin once or twice.

GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder, Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: