Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #1
alisonbestford
Can cope with the dentist after a glass or 2 of wine
Is a bit partial to dripping sandwiches

Question May trip...

We're off to California in May - myself, DH and DD (age 14)

We have 2 day park hoppers and a ticket for Universal.

Myself and DD will use both DL days but I've "promised" DH he can spend day 2 doing something of his own choice if he drops us off (we'll be driving from Capistrano Beach)

Does anyone have any suggestions?
He'd thought of hiring a motor cycle but that's looking an expensive option.
He'd also mentioned going to Bakersfield but that's a long way - any ideas would be welcome

Thanks in advance
Old 03-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
RSWA2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonbestford View Post
He'd also mentioned going to Bakersfield but that's a long way - any ideas would be welcome

Thanks in advance
I don't think there is much to do or see in Bakersfield....and it's a long drive away from LA.

I think in the LA area there are lots of those custom motorcycle companies, maybe he can check them out?
RSWA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
alisonbestford

That sounds like a plan :-)
Then he can come and join us in the afternoon
Thanks
Old 03-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
bcla
DIS Veteran

Bakersfield?

I'd suggest going to Yosemite but it would take even longer to get there than Bakersfield. Actually - it might take as long to get to San Francisco as Yosemite.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
larina
DIS Veteran

Does he have family or friends in Bakersfield? Honestly, I can't imagine why else anyone would go there.
larina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #6
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

Well, Bakersfield has Basque food and country music (anyone ever hear of Buck Owens and Dwight Yoakam?). But, yes, other than those two things, I'm not sure what else there is to do there.
Soooooo, how about a day at Huntington Beach and maybe renting a surf board and taking a surf lesson? Or renting a bike and seeing how far he can go along the coast path? There is the Peterson Auto Museum in L.A. (corner of Fairfax and Wilshire, I think), if he wants to see vintage and famous cars. There might be an Angels game on at the stadium or something at the Honda Center.
Hope these suggestions help and that you all have a fun trip!
theluckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #7
alisonbestford

The Bakersfield suggestion did, in fact, come from listening to country music and watching films.....he's a great fan of all types of music

All great ideas thanks

Think I'll not mention the surf board though..........

Thanks again.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:03 AM   #8
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

As a fan of all kinds of music, your DH may really enjoy time at DLR more than he thinks. Disney is a great supporter of live music, and there are musicians all over both parks. You can check the daily schedules of live entertainment for DL, DCA, and DtD for more info. The musicians are professionals and the quality of the music is terrific!
Old 03-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #9
alisonbestford

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckyrabbit View Post
As a fan of all kinds of music, your DH may really enjoy time at DLR more than he thinks. Disney is a great supporter of live music, and there are musicians all over both parks. You can check the daily schedules of live entertainment for DL, DCA, and DtD for more info. The musicians are professionals and the quality of the music is terrific!
He has already admitted he thinks he might enjoy it more than he's expecting so maybe this will do the trick

All else failing I'm sure he'll have his trusty crossword book in his pocket
Old 03-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

If you will be at DLR on a Saturday night, make sure to stop by the swing dancing in DtD (usually in front of the AMC movie theaters). There will be a live band (different band each week) and lots of dancing! Very lively, good music, lots of fun (both to dance and to watch).
Old 03-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonbestford View Post
The Bakersfield suggestion did, in fact, come from listening to country music and watching films.....he's a great fan of all types of music
I'm starting to understand where and why your husband may have heard of Bakersfield, but honestly there isn't that much there. It's really an agricultural and oil town with very few things that would interest a tourist. I suppose the intent would be to visit Buck Owens Crystal Palace, but their live concerts are typically scheduled for 7 PM and I'm thinking you're looking to be picked up before he can get back.

I have stayed in Bakersfield before, but it was because it was the closest I could get to Edwards Air Force Base for one of their public air shows.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:06 AM   #12
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

The OP's DH may be interested in The Ranch (http://www.theranch.com/company/about.aspx) on Ball Rd. and East, northeast of DLR (a lot closer to DLR than Bakersfield!). The restaurant is a higher end steakhouse and the saloon has live country music and dancing. Michael Jordan, who used to be at Napa Rose, is now at The Ranch.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #13
alisonbestford

Thank you everyone

I've Googled the Peterson Auto Museum (whatever did we do before WWW? )
and I think he might well visit there for a few hours before coming to meet us in the afternoon

Sadly we won't be at DTD on Saturday evening as we don't land until mid afternoon and will be heading off to the beach

I was thinking of visiting DL Monday and Tuesday and probably heading down to San Diego for the day on the Sunday.

The following Saturday we will be on our way up the coast road towards San Francisco, stopping at Solvang and Monteray

Is there any music at DTD other evenings?
DD and I have visited WDW a few times over the years but DH has exactly no idea what to expect
Old 03-11-2013, 01:20 AM   #14
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

DtD has live music every night, unless it rains. You can find the schedule of who will be playing on the Disneyland website (look under Park Hours and Schedule). There is a variety of live music each night, from rockabilly to blues to acoustic guitar and more, both bands and solo artists.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:18 AM   #15
alisonbestford

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckyrabbit View Post
DtD has live music every night, unless it rains. You can find the schedule of who will be playing on the Disneyland website (look under Park Hours and Schedule). There is a variety of live music each night, from rockabilly to blues to acoustic guitar and more, both bands and solo artists.
I shall sneak a look

I misread your earlier post as I'm sure you've already realised - I read DTD as opposed to DLR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: