Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #31
noahdove
DIS Veteran

I'm sure we will be flying SWA next April and I am concerned that we will have 2 small children with us and we NEED to sit next to them..how can we make this happen? I have always flown AirTran and purchased my seats....and now with this change I am fretting...thanks for an insite..
Old 03-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #32
lorenni
DIS Veteran

If any of the kids are under 5 you get to board between the As and Bs - there will be plenty of seats together. You will be fine.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #33
noahdove
DIS Veteran

We will have a 5 and 7 year old....
Old 03-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #34
lorenni
DIS Veteran

I *think* the age is 5 for early boarding. The flight attendants will make sure that kids are sitting with their parents - I've heard some great announcements about who wants to trade their seat vs volunteer to babysit. You can also pay for EB for just one adult - most of the time they let the whole party board at once even if only one has that boarding number.

Most southwest planes are three and three seating so you'll need to split up anyways.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #35
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Just returned from first flight with SW.
I bought our flights on the day the flights became available, and also bought early birds at that time.
We still had B57-60.!
We got 2 of only the 3 rows left with 2 seats together.
So we did get to sit with our kids.
But I would not do it again. Too much uncertainty. Not a stress-free start to our holiday!

And also, for our flight anyway, they let families with children less than 4 years old to board after the A's. There was only one of those families on our flight.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #36
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls View Post
I bought our flights on the day the flights became available, and also bought early birds at that time.
We still had B57-60.!
But I would not do it again. Too much uncertainty. Not a stress-free start to our holiday!

And also, for our flight anyway, they let families with children less than 4 years old to board after the A's. There was only one of those families on our flight.
I think it depends on the agents operating the particular flight what age of kids they allow to do the pre-board between A&B. On a SWA flight last year from Philly to Orlando, which had a lot of kids obviously, being that it was going to Orlando- they let anyone with any kids of any age pre-board- well past age 4 or 5. It was literally like the entire plane. The parties of adults around me were in disbelief, and many of them had paid for the EB check in. I would have been livid if I had and filed a request to refund the charge when I got home if I were them. By the time I got on with a very low B number, even though I was travelling solo, to get an aisle seat I had to go to the 2nd to last row of the plane at that point. There were a lot of unhappy adults on that flight.

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Mom’s Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #37
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls
We still had B57-60.!

Wow B57 never heard it being that long down the list with EB. Don't let that discourage you for a first time on SW. They are a good airline. But I will say they are not always the cheapest even when you add in baggage fees. They used to be but not anymore. Like anything just do the research

1998 WDW Fort Widerness
2008 WDW All Star Music Resort
2009 WDW Animal Kingdom Villas
2009 Vero Beach
2011 WDW Bay Lake Tower
2013 WDW Saratoga Springs Resort
2013 DCL Fantasy First Cruise Ever
2014 WDW BCV
kshark1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #38
TmlndSpdwy03
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgeo View Post
When you actually get to the airport there is a shorter line to check bags at the terminal if you have already printed your boarding passes. We will be checking bags and understand that DCL doesn't work with SW to do this, however if we purchase EBCI and go down to guest services the night before our cruise ends will guest services print our boarding passes for us?

Thanks
Use curb side checking. Line is shorter 90% of the time, no separate line if you have/dont have boarding pass and they will print your boarding pass for you. Sure, you should tip them but IMO its worth it.

They also have computers in the Orlando airport just to the right of the check in area where you should be able to print your boarding pass if they line is really that much longer for people without their passes already printed.
TmlndSpdwy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #39
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshark1958 View Post
Wow B57 never heard it being that long down the list with EB. Don't let that discourage you for a first time on SW. They are a good airline. But I will say they are not always the cheapest even when you add in baggage fees. They used to be but not anymore. Like anything just do the research
Yes, we were surprised!
Especially as I booked the hour they became available! Guess everyone else did too!
We got an amazing price, so I can definitely absorb that negative. crew were great and process easy.

But...One other factor that tips the negative quite substantially is that the planes were disgustingly dirty. I am absolutely not a clean freak at all, and I realise that turn around is almost immediate, but the seats and tray tables were really awful. Gum under the chairs stuck to my daughter's bag, sticky seats, multiple old drink drips down the back of chair in front, visible grime on tray tables and half eaten food in the pockets in front.
We have flown hundreds of times and i've never seen anything like it.
I just kept thinking...'these flight were an amazing price'!
Not sure i'll do it again though.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

Old 03-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #40
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls View Post
Yes, we were surprised!
Especially as I booked the hour they became available! Guess everyone else did too!
We got an amazing price, so I can definitely absorb that negative. crew were great and process easy.

But...One other factor that tips the negative quite substantially is that the planes were disgustingly dirty. I am absolutely not a clean freak at all, and I realise that turn around is almost immediate, but the seats and tray tables were really awful. Gum under the chairs stuck to my daughter's bag, sticky seats, multiple old drink drips down the back of chair in front, visible grime on tray tables and half eaten food in the pockets in front.
We have flown hundreds of times and i've never seen anything like it.
I just kept thinking...'these flight were an amazing price'!
Not sure i'll do it again though.
Sounds to me like you had the ULTIMATE first time bad luck experience for a SW flight or any airline flight. All flights no matter what airline they do a quick turn around to get the flight in the air. Kind of like cruise ships.Do me a favor and don't judge SW just by this one flight. I have flown them plenty and never had a bad flight. I have flown other airlines also. Actually my favorite airline is Frontier. Unfortunately their routes are very limited.

1998 WDW Fort Widerness
2008 WDW All Star Music Resort
2009 WDW Animal Kingdom Villas
2009 Vero Beach
2011 WDW Bay Lake Tower
2013 WDW Saratoga Springs Resort
2013 DCL Fantasy First Cruise Ever
2014 WDW BCV
kshark1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #41
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshark1958 View Post
Sounds to me like you had the ULTIMATE first time bad luck experience for a SW flight or any airline flight. All flights no matter what airline they do a quick turn around to get the flight in the air. Kind of like cruise ships.Do me a favor and don't judge SW just by this one flight. I have flown them plenty and never had a bad flight. I have flown other airlines also. Actually my favorite airline is Frontier. Unfortunately their routes are very limited.
OK.
We don't hold grudges here.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #42
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmlndSpdwy03 View Post
Use curb side checking. Line is shorter 90% of the time, no separate line if you have/dont have boarding pass and they will print your boarding pass for you. Sure, you should tip them but IMO its worth it.

They also have computers in the Orlando airport just to the right of the check in area where you should be able to print your boarding pass if they line is really that much longer for people without their passes already printed.
Thank you for this reminder. Of course now that you say that I remember on our first trip (when we didn't have passes printed out) we waited in a line that was sooo long and people who had passes printed were breezing through the other line, people actually left our line and went back outside to check in at the curb. I don't travel enough to remember all this, but I agree that even with a tip curb side would be worth it. Thanks!

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: