Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
pmurph
Earning My Ears

Atlantis Port Adventures in the Bahamas?

I have always wanted to go to the Atlantis in the Bahamas. I want to do the tour where we just go on the tour of the ruins and the aquarium ("Discover Atlantis).
My husband says the kids (8 and 12) will want to do the water park there ("Aquadventure"). But its so expensive (for all four of us), and we are going to Castaway Cay the very next day so I vote "no" to the water park. Plus I want to get back a LITLE bit early so that we can enjoy some uncrowded amenities on the ship before early dinner.

My question is: Will my kids be disappointed if we don't do the port adventure that includes the water park? Will we be exposed to it if we are doing the port adventure that doesn't include it?

Anyone have any thoughts on the Atlantis Port Adventures?
pmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
MrsB919
Mouseketeer

My Hubby and I did the Aqua adventure last time. If your kids like water parks they would enjoy it. They had a lot of great slides and the lazy river was definitely my favorite part. As far as I remember I believe you had to have a special ticket/wristband to get to the waterpark section. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong though. I know there were places where it branched off to go to that and the dolphin experience. That being said it is pricey especially for a family of four. This time around we are planning on staying on the ship and enjoying the pools and aquaduck without the long lines. If you come back early you might be able to have more pool time for the kids. HTH.

(Me) (Hubby) (Tanky) : (Ony) (Michey)
5/14- BCV, 9/13- CBR & DCL Fantasy, 9/12 -BWI,12/11 -POP, 9/11- Wedding & Honeymoon GF & DCL,
4/11,7/10,3/08 etc. (to many to count)- Offsite
MrsB919 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
G'sMaman
Mouseketeer

Have you thought about renting a room at the comfort suites across the street? When you stay there you have full use of all the amenities at Atlantis and you can come and go as you please - no waiting for a tour bus. We got a great rate from an online booking site for spring break - $198 (including taxes) for two adults and two kids. If you pm me I can provide you with the website. Someone suggested checking in and then immediately checking out so you never have to return to the hotel.

G'sMaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Tbone17701
Disney Dreamer

My DH, DD8 and myself did the Discover Atlantis tour last August. We did not see or hear the waterpark area at all during that tour. We too wanted to get a taste of Atlantis without dropping a bundle. I also worried about my DD8 not utilizing all of the larger slides at the park yet at her age. It was a pretty quick tour. We were done in about an hour or so and back on board in time to catch a late lunch. The tour was just "ok" for us. In the future, I would either pay the money for Aquaventure and the beach or stay on the ship.

WDW Feb. 1984, WDW Feb. 1987, WDW Feb. 1991, Port Orleans Resort Jan. 1995, Pop Century Sept. 2008, All Star Music Jan. 2010, Wilderness Lodge Nov. 2011, Art of Animation Aug. 2012, Wilderness Lodge Nov. 2013, Grand Floridian Apr. 2015
Disney Dream Aug. 2012
Allure of the Seas Oct. 2013

Tbone17701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

We did the tour and then played in the water in the lagoon area. The beach was old due to wind. We walked around the main hotel for a bit. It was fun for the kids (ages 2-5) but not a must do. I would have done the comfort suite deal if my kids were older
meajuly5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
ktb2002
DIS Veteran

We did the discover Atlantis tour and didn't care for it. While it was neat, the tour was very rushed. By the time the tour was over we were ready to head back to the ship.

Wonder 12/21/08, Dream 03/27/12, Fantasy 07/14/12, Dream 10/07/12, Dream 10/11/12, Fantasy 05/25/13, Magic 12/22/13, Magic 12/27/13, Magic 12/30/13, Fantasy 05/31/14
ktb2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
owensamo
DIS Veteran

DH, DD7 and I did the Discover Atlantis tour. We had one of the first morning tours, and then after the guided tour part was over, we had lunch at Atlantis ($$$!) and then went back through the Aquarium again at our own pace. The theming of the aquarium is nice, but be aware that their tour guides aren't Disney guides - they made it sound a bit cheesy.

We neither saw nor heard any evidence of the water park. My DD really enjoyed the fish, and going through a second time gave us the opportunity to explore things again at our own pace, but already with some familiarity. It also let us shop at our own pace!

We actually really enjoyed Atlantis. It's on our longer list of places to go back to for a long weekend trip on its own. I'd love to experience the water park, but there's so much going on there, I can't imagine that you can see everything in a single cruise ship day.
Disney Magic: 7N - 1/19/08, 1/17/09, 12/19/09; 14N EBTA - 5/14/11; 12N N Europe - 7/22/15
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #8
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

We went to Atlantis in January with our kids and it was THE highlight of the trip for us. The lazy river was soooo much fun and the water slides were amazing! Our kids are older (ages 15 and up), but they was a wave pool, the lazy river, numerous water slides, zero entry play area, the beach (we swam in the ocean for about an hour) and lunch is included also.

If you can afford it, I would say do it. That being said, due to cost, this was our 12 cruise and the first time we went there. But we will go back next time, for sure!

21 day trip report LIVE from Amtrak, Disneyland & EB Repo through the Panama Canal!
poohmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
pmurph
Earning My Ears

thank you thank you for all the great advice !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked

We visited Atlantis when my son was 15 years old. The water park was the best part of the vacation for him. He loved the water slides and the adventure river. It's not like a typical lazy river. Your tube goes on conveyor belts and goes through roller coaster type rides. There are rapids. It was a blast. My son didn't even want to leave the water park area to go to the beach.
Bluestars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
jsbgeo
Earning My Ears

We stayed at Atlantis last year for a week. If you only have a few hours during a cruise stop, there is plenty to do visiting the aquariums. But the tours can be restrictive to non-resort guests. You can't wander around on your own without a wristband.

jsbgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
sunshineNJ
DIS Veteran

I think Comfort Suites will save us some $$ BUT DCL I'm assuming will refund the excursion if the weather is bad. Will Comfort Suites? Thanks
sunshineNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
G'sMaman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensamo View Post
We neither saw nor heard any evidence of the water park.
We did the Discover Atlantis tour a could of years ago and that was exactly our experience (including the cheesy tour guide)! We will be going on another Disney cruise next month and someone on the meet-up boards asked how the heck I missed the water park. Now, I don't feel like a total space head! . If you've never been, you don't realize how big Atlantis actually is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineNJ View Post
I think Comfort Suites will save us some $$ BUT DCL I'm assuming will refund the excursion if the weather is bad. Will Comfort Suites? Thanks
Very good point! I think the time of year is probably an important factor. However, we bought our trip insurance from an outside provider and just added it to our total trip cost for insurance purposes so if we had to cancel, it would be covered. Weather related reasons probably aren't covered, but I'd be surprised if Disney would cancel the Discover Atlantis tour due to bad weather since much of it is underground. Disney charges $59 per person (ages 10 and up) for the tour alone so if you can get a good rate at the comfort suites you might not be out too much money even with bad weather. If it's just the two of you, I would definitely book through Disney since you don't save that much and there's the hassle factor of having to check-in and out.
G'sMaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
jrez
Earning My Ears

Everyone can shoot me...but I'm much more of a pool person than I am a beach person. So with that said I loved the water park at Atlantis and was a bit underwhelmed by Castaway.

Yes, Atlantis is expensive but I figure it was the one day I was going to be there...I probably won't be going back there anytime soon so the money we spent was understandable.
jrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
pmurph
Earning My Ears

all good points - thank you : )

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: