Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #61
gogo65
Cheering for Disney
 
gogo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 749

Agree, we prebooked ours and just hoped it wasn't going to rain, so glad we did, the lines were about 4hours long, when we rocked up with our prebooked ticketI felt like I was royalty being bale to go to the front of the line
__________________
WDW offsite 1988
DL Sheraton Anaheim 09/00
WDW Contemporary Resort 01/08
DL Carousal Inn and Suites 12/09
Paris Disney 07/11
WDW Allstar Music 4/12

gogo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #62
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran
 
zanzibar138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post
Zanzibar - I work on the "go hard or go home" style of trip planning. The good news is that I'm happy to let things go if they aren't prebooked and paid for if everyone is tired.
My travel philosophy is a bit like that too, but on long trips I like to leave a day here and there for just doing what we feel like. I guess having a few extra days at DLP we were able to use some of those for our 'not have to be anywhere at a specific time' days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post
Yes Gogo I have already booked them but thanks for the heads up. I decided I would prefer to choose a set date to go up the Eiffel tower and chance rain than to line up for hours on a nice day .
Good luck! Spoiler alert for my TR... ours was cancelled due to frost and snow and I never did end up getting up there. I don't think you'll have that problem in April though
__________________

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 RunDisney 10k DLR (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Sep 2015 RunDisney Half DLR PTR - 2016 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #63
Andona
Destroyer of the Aussie Dollar
 
Andona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 920

What a fantastic plan I think you will all have the most amazing time

I'm really looking forward to hearing about your time in Ireland - it's on my bucket-list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Wendy View Post
Oh forgot to add if you didn't see We will Rock You when it toured Aus-it was one of the best musicals we have ever seen - DH loved it as much as DD and I. If you love Queen you'll love the music and the storyline ties together really well. I would like to see it again. Rellies who saw the London version raved too.
I'll second this - we just loved the show! We saw it in Sydney but I remember walking past the theatre in London several times and admiring the huge statue of Freddie Mercury. I'd love to see it there some day

Andona
__________________
2005: DL - 3/50 states | 2007- UK & Paris | 2008: WDW - 14/50 states| 2009: DL - 18/50 States | 2011 European roadtrip - ANZAC day in France | 2012: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip! 25/50 states Read my TR|2013 Italy

Dec 2014 Hawaii Here We Come!

Aug 2015 Pacific Northwest Roadtrip finishing up in DL. Yay!
Andona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #64
Busy Busy
DIS Veteran
 
Busy Busy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 587

Wow - I bow to the queen of planning!!

My DH is English and we have been lucky enough to spend time in and around London, and also in Paris and you are going to have such an amazing time.

I left DH and the kids with the in-laws and took myself on the tube to Kensington Palace to see an exhibition of Princess Diana's dresses, then I went to the Orangery for afternoon tea - it was GORGEOUS!!! My DD was only 5 then, and chose to go to the zoo with her grandparents - but I know that I will take her there in the future. It will be such a lovely girls day for you. Having said that - I also love the day that you have planned for your DH and DS - we took our son for a cricket lesson at the indoor cricket school at Lords, then we did the tour - it was an amazing day for our cricket loving family!!

Just across the road from the Science Museum (and around the corner from the Natural History Museum) is the Victoria and Albert Museum - I haven't seen you mention it and you NEED to know about it!! I left the family (again!!) over at the Science Museum and spent 2 hours in heaven at the V&A. I saw everything from Adam Ant's stage costumes (he was once my future husband!), to the original Beatrix Potter drawings of Peter Rabbit. It's filled with gowns, fashion, jewellery, art and gorgeous special exhibits (there is a David Bowie one on there now) - it's my kind of museum!!

PS....at Borough Market there is a toasted cheese sandwich called a "raclette" that will change your life!!!
__________________


1978 - Disneyland
1997 - WDW - Dixie Landings & Disneyland
2006 - Hong Kong Disney
2009 - Disneyland - Paradise Pier
2011 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge
2013 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside
2015 - WDW - Pop Century
Busy Busy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #65
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran
 
Ms. Shuttergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,041

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo65 View Post
Agree, we prebooked ours and just hoped it wasn't going to rain, so glad we did, the lines were about 4hours long, when we rocked up with our prebooked ticketI felt like I was royalty being bale to go to the front of the line
OMG, 4 hours. That would break my husbands will to live .

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
My travel philosophy is a bit like that too, but on long trips I like to leave a day here and there for just doing what we feel like. I guess having a few extra days at DLP we were able to use some of those for our 'not have to be anywhere at a specific time' days.



Good luck! Spoiler alert for my TR... ours was cancelled due to frost and snow and I never did end up getting up there. I don't think you'll have that problem in April though
Usually the last day of each place we visit is a day that all plans could be dumped out the window and we can just do whatever. We certainly did that on our recent trip. The only place where it wont' be possible is Scotland but otherwise I'm happy to throw the plans out and go with the flow if it's not prebooked and paid for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andona View Post
What a fantastic plan I think you will all have the most amazing time

I'm really looking forward to hearing about your time in Ireland - it's on my bucket-list



I'll second this - we just loved the show! We saw it in Sydney but I remember walking past the theatre in London several times and admiring the huge statue of Freddie Mercury. I'd love to see it there some day

Andona
Ireland is the one place that my husband and I have always talked about going to, more than anywhere else. I am very much looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Busy View Post
Wow - I bow to the queen of planning!!

My DH is English and we have been lucky enough to spend time in and around London, and also in Paris and you are going to have such an amazing time.

I left DH and the kids with the in-laws and took myself on the tube to Kensington Palace to see an exhibition of Princess Diana's dresses, then I went to the Orangery for afternoon tea - it was GORGEOUS!!! My DD was only 5 then, and chose to go to the zoo with her grandparents - but I know that I will take her there in the future. It will be such a lovely girls day for you. Having said that - I also love the day that you have planned for your DH and DS - we took our son for a cricket lesson at the indoor cricket school at Lords, then we did the tour - it was an amazing day for our cricket loving family!!

Just across the road from the Science Museum (and around the corner from the Natural History Museum) is the Victoria and Albert Museum - I haven't seen you mention it and you NEED to know about it!! I left the family (again!!) over at the Science Museum and spent 2 hours in heaven at the V&A. I saw everything from Adam Ant's stage costumes (he was once my future husband!), to the original Beatrix Potter drawings of Peter Rabbit. It's filled with gowns, fashion, jewellery, art and gorgeous special exhibits (there is a David Bowie one on there now) - it's my kind of museum!!

PS....at Borough Market there is a toasted cheese sandwich called a "raclette" that will change your life!!!
I have the V&A in the back of my mind as an option if time allows but my family can only handle so much museum stuff. I like it, they don't as much. It sounds great though so I'll definitely keep it on my list.

Borough Market - toast cheese sandwich - you had me at hello. I'm so getting one.
__________________


Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #66
Busy Busy
DIS Veteran
 
Busy Busy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 587

I get the museum overload!! You need a freeze button so that you can leave them all on the footpath and go in on your own - then there's no moaning and you can do what you want for as long as you want! I need to invent one!!

As for the toasted cheese sandwich - OMG - my DH did NOT want to go to Borough Market, he said that it was a dump (and he's from South London - so he's knows a dump when he sees one). ....BUT....who cares about the surroundings - Borough Market is there to amaze your senses of smell and taste - not your sight!!
__________________


1978 - Disneyland
1997 - WDW - Dixie Landings & Disneyland
2006 - Hong Kong Disney
2009 - Disneyland - Paradise Pier
2011 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge
2013 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside
2015 - WDW - Pop Century
Busy Busy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #67
Aussie Wendy
DIS Veteran
 
Aussie Wendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brisbane Qld
Posts: 1,395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post
Yes Gogo I have already booked them but thanks for the heads up. I decided I would prefer to choose a set date to go up the Eiffel tower and chance rain than to line up for hours on a nice day .
I'm trying to trick fate as three visits to Paris and each time the 'views' from the top have been heavy mist and rain. If I don't prebook tix maybe we'll get brilliant weather and if so, will climb the stairs to at least the second level maybe avoiding the worst of the queues...but for a first - timer I would definitely be pre-booking- I thought you might do one of the meals up there?
__________________
Disneyland 84, 89, 97; WDW Xmas 2008; DLR & NYC June 2011; TDR April 2012; DLP May 2013; WDW & USF/IOA Oct 2014
TR DLR, NY and more July 2011
TR Japan 2012
TR Exploration Europe 2013
TR Rides and Rocks 2014
Me DH DD:
Aussie Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #68
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran
 
Ms. Shuttergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,041

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Busy View Post
I get the museum overload!! You need a freeze button so that you can leave them all on the footpath and go in on your own - then there's no moaning and you can do what you want for as long as you want! I need to invent one!!

As for the toasted cheese sandwich - OMG - my DH did NOT want to go to Borough Market, he said that it was a dump (and he's from South London - so he's knows a dump when he sees one). ....BUT....who cares about the surroundings - Borough Market is there to amaze your senses of smell and taste - not your sight!!
Oh yes a freeze button, that would be perfect. I might actually get some photos of my family that doesnt' involve their backs as they walk away from me if I had a freeze button .

I'm sure we will love the Borough Market, we love that sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Wendy View Post
I'm trying to trick fate as three visits to Paris and each time the 'views' from the top have been heavy mist and rain. If I don't prebook tix maybe we'll get brilliant weather and if so, will climb the stairs to at least the second level maybe avoiding the worst of the queues...but for a first - timer I would definitely be pre-booking- I thought you might do one of the meals up there?
Wendy we did think about it but with 2 kids in tow, after reading the menus, I felt options they would enjoy are limited and it's an awful lot of money if they don't like the food. I would've loved to do something like that though.
__________________


Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #69
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran
 
Ms. Shuttergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,041

We've been watching the dvd's of Billy Connelly travelling through the UK and laughing our heads off.

So last night I googled to see if he was doing any kind of tour while we are there and joy of all joys, he is actually doing a tour of Ireland while we are there. It's all basically sold out but we managed to get 2 separate tickets for a show when we are in Dublin. We are sitting one in front of the other so not far away from each other. Should be awesome.
__________________


Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #70
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 93,254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post
We've been watching the dvd's of Billy Connelly travelling through the UK and laughing our heads off.

So last night I googled to see if he was doing any kind of tour while we are there and joy of all joys, he is actually doing a tour of Ireland while we are there. It's all basically sold out but we managed to get 2 separate tickets for a show when we are in Dublin. We are sitting one in front of the other so not far away from each other. Should be awesome.
Awesome news! This is going to be such a highlight!
__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #71
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran
 
Ms. Shuttergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,041

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Awesome news! This is going to be such a highlight!
I think so too PIO, an unexpected highlight. I love seeing live comedy but we haven't seen anyone for years so we are both very much looking forward to it and very grateful to have a babysitter along this time.
__________________


Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #72
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran
 
zanzibar138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post
We've been watching the dvd's of Billy Connelly travelling through the UK and laughing our heads off.

So last night I googled to see if he was doing any kind of tour while we are there and joy of all joys, he is actually doing a tour of Ireland while we are there. It's all basically sold out but we managed to get 2 separate tickets for a show when we are in Dublin. We are sitting one in front of the other so not far away from each other. Should be awesome.
Awesome! It's great you were able to get seats not far away from each other too
__________________

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 RunDisney 10k DLR (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Sep 2015 RunDisney Half DLR PTR - 2016 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #73
Minniemum
DIS Veteran
 
Minniemum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 583

Congrats Ms Shuttergirl. Now that's being in the right place at the right time.
__________________
DH Me DD (13) DS (10)

DLR - 1/92 O/S, 3/99 O/S, 6/99 O/S, 3/05 DLH, 9/08 DLH, 9/09 DLH, 9/13 O/S
DLP - 9/98
DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - 9/13
WDW - 4/98 O/S, 10/10 POP, 9/11 POFQ, 9/12 POFQ, 9/13 POFQ, 9/14 POFQ...still to come 9/15 POFQ

Minniemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #74
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran
 
Ms. Shuttergirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,041

DH has been a bit disappointed with my dates not lining up with big acts that are touring while we are in all the big cities. . I said well I planned these dates 12 months ago, I can't help it .
__________________


Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #75
cola
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 371

Borough Market - There is an upmarket restaurant at the market, Roast, they also have a take away food counter underneath it if you just want a roll, including breakfast rolls.
It makes the top 10 on quite a few lists, including "Best Breakfast in London" - Good Food Guide AND The Times, as in a traditional British fry up. It's a beautiful setting, huge windows, very English.

And if your skin is getting a bit dried out from all the planes, get the Rose Serum from the Neal's Yard Remedies at the markets (or elsewhere), the hyaluronic acid hydrates your skin to cope with all the dehydration from plane travel. It's got a much higher concentration than most retail products.

Are you going to walk from Borough Market to the Globe? It's an easy walk level walk. You could even walk from the Tower all the way if you want, it's all easily done. There is even a walk across the top bit of Tower Bridge option.

If you are looking for something with a lot of salads, Vapiano at 90 Southwark Street is really fast and fresh, behind the Tate Modern. The whole area has been transformed over the last 10 years. When I first went to the Globe last century, it was in a run down neighbourhood, pretty well isolated from anywhere else, you had to make a special outing to go to the Globe, you wouldn't be walking around there and happen on it by chance, now it is such a well (over???) developed around there you can easily walk around.
__________________
Phew, finally all five castles... TOKYO x1 HONG KONG x1 ORLANDO x8 ANAHEIM x4 PARIS x1

Last edited by cola; 03-10-2013 at 08:56 PM.
cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.