Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
ready2vacation
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
If they were at the BWV, undoubtedly, Disney has gotten rid of them in that villa and checked the neighboring villas. They usually hitchhike in with the guests' luggage, computers or other stuff brought in by the guests. You never think of Magical Express as ME for Bedbugs.
ready2vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #17
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If they were at the BWV, undoubtedly, Disney has gotten rid of them in that villa and checked the neighboring villas. They usually hitchhike in with the guests' luggage, computers or other stuff brought in by the guests. You never think of Magical Express as ME for Bedbugs.
At Home Depot, they sell a product from the BuggyBeds brand that help early detection of these nasty critters that you can place in your luggage so you can know EARLY if you have some hitchhiking on your belongings. Even if you bring one bug home, that's enough for a future infestation. Instead, that bug will be dead in the lure in your luggage! For those who are paranoid about these guys like I am, it's something to help relieve the paranoia.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #18
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydee6 View Post
At Home Depot, they sell a product from the BuggyBeds brand that help early detection of these nasty critters that you can place in your luggage so you can know EARLY if you have some hitchhiking on your belongings. Even if you bring one bug home, that's enough for a future infestation. Instead, that bug will be dead in the lure in your luggage! For those who are paranoid about these guys like I am, it's something to help relieve the paranoia.
Can you post more info on this product? What section of Home Depot is it? About how much does it cost? Just one in a package for one piece of luggage? or several? VERY INTERESTED in learning more about this....THANK YOU for the information
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #19
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydee6 View Post
At Home Depot, they sell a product from the BuggyBeds brand that help early detection of these nasty critters that you can place in your luggage so you can know EARLY if you have some hitchhiking on your belongings.
Just FYI. I saw your post and immediately went to buy some from amazon. But after reading the various reviews from people who KNEW they had bed bugs and saw the bugs walking by the traps, I think I'll save my $. Just thought I'd pass along the info. I'm totally paranoid!

J
Old 03-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #20
CruellaDuVille
Mouseketeer

Quote:
What's stopping the bedbugs from hopping into your overhead carry-ons on the airplane?
CruellaDuVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #21
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott04 View Post
Just FYI. I saw your post and immediately went to buy some from amazon. But after reading the various reviews from people who KNEW they had bed bugs and saw the bugs walking by the traps, I think I'll save my $. Just thought I'd pass along the info. I'm totally paranoid!

J
I did the same thing but the reviews were horrible. I wonder if spraying the deterrent on the luggage would help. I WISH there was something to do to lessen the chances
Old 03-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #22
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

It's a new product that HD just started carrying (again, call your local HD to verify that they carry it in-store). It would be in the garden section of your local store, with all the other insecticides. I think the person who invented them was on that show shark tank?? It has lures in it that attract them into the trap. I just read on amazon too the reviews, and HD reviews. They have varied reviews. Some say they are useless, others say "Worked great!" I have yet to have a customer tell me personally whether it worked or not.

If you'd rather get a product that you KNOW works, buy a spray bottle of bed-bug killer (also at HD) and spray the sh** out of your bags before you bring them in your home.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #23
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

BTW don't be surprised when you look up bed-bug treatments at the HD website and see you can purchase live ladybugs!!
Old 03-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #24
TwistGrl101
DIS Veteran

I read on these boards a while back that as soon as you get your room key, you should enter the DARK room with a maxi pad and take the sticky side and press it under the mattress, pillows, etc. See if anything sticks. Apparently, once you turn the lights on, the bugs will hide and you most likely won't find anything...so pack a pad in your carry-on!!!
TwistGrl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #25
Annieru027
Loving the magic since 1990!

I saw the buggybeds traps online and considered buying them. I was under the impression that they weren't to trap the bugs to eliminate them, as much as they were to capture a few so you knew you had a potential infestation and to call an exterminator.

In all my research, and I've done a lot as I've mentioned, the best thing you can do is inspect the room upon check in and if you see any issues, alert management and request another room. If you are unlucky enough to actually have stayed in the room, Disney has precautions in place to prevent the bugs from further infesting the hotel and your home. Once you get home, do not bring you luggage in the house. All clothing goes directly from the suitcase to the washer and everything is laundered on the highest heat setting. I even called an exterminator to make sure there wasn't anything else we should be doing to prevent them and he suggested vacuuming out our car, since we had it with us.

Do your research beforehand and your due diligence when you arrive and you should be able to have a magical trip, even if it requires a move to a new room should you find something right away.
2003 ~ ASM
2004 ~ PC
2005 ~ DVC Members
2006 ~ SSR, WLV, OKW and AKV
2007 ~ BWV, SSR
2008 ~ SSR
2009 ~ 30th birthday celebration at WLV, OKW
2010 ~ BLT, AKV
2011 ~ BWV
2012 ~ BLT
2013 ~ CS & BCV
Annieru027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #26
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

If you google herbs to repel or deter bedbugs a whole bunch of stuff comes up including making sachet's out of muslin and certain herbs to place in your suitcases.....I will check the room-more concerned about the plane etc
Old 03-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #27
nhmommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwdw View Post
I did the same thing but the reviews were horrible. I wonder if spraying the deterrent on the luggage would help. I WISH there was something to do to lessen the chances
The best thing you can do is leave your luggage in a very hot location for several hours works great if you are coning home to a hot climate to leave them in the car. The best way to eradicate bed-bugs in a home it to super heat the home for several hours. Also you can put all your things into the dryer as soon as you get home. Be careful about electronics they are a very, if not the most common way bed-bugs are carried place to place.
nhmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #28
gdrj
DIS Veteran

Headed to BWV in a couple of weeks, of course as I type I feel itchy now!

One thing that gives me comfort is that if there is a hotel or resort that will have the best procedures to handle, reduce and eliminate problem I beleive it will be Disney.

Definitely serves as a reminder to check before unpacking.
gdrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #29
Three cats
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruellaDuVille
Quote:

What's stopping the bedbugs from hopping into your overhead carry-ons on the airplane?
Absolutely nothing. They can also be picked up in the luggage cargo area on the plane, a rental car....etc. Yuck!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Three cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:37 AM   #30
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdrj View Post
Headed to BWV in a couple of weeks, of course as I type I feel itchy now!

One thing that gives me comfort is that if there is a hotel or resort that will have the best procedures to handle, reduce and eliminate problem I beleive it will be Disney.

Definitely serves as a reminder to check before unpacking.
I was at BWV the same time as the OP and didn't have any issues, if that helps with the "itchy" feeling. I'm sure Disney stays on top of these things and once they are aware of a problem, they take care of it ASAP. Any hotel worth staying in would do that.

Just give the room that once over before you start unpacking and you should be OK.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: