Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #616
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

The auto grat is applied to parties of 6 or more or if you use TIW. Suggested tip amounts are printed on the bottom of your check for 18% and 20% regardless of the restaurant type
Old 03-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #617
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC0810 View Post
we have a character breakfast at the Hollywood & Vine buffet one morning. We have 4 people in our party. I have read SEVERAL reviews on tripadvisor that people are saying the servers are adding the 18% tip to the check EVEN for parties of 4 people!

Is this common? I am not looking forward to confronting the server/manager if this happens to us
No it is not common, and it is supposed to be 6 and more only, unless the group is using TIW or cast discount.
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #618
Derryni
Earning My Ears

Separate checks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlissa's Mommy View Post
I'm not really sure if this is the place to ask this or not, but I am trying to be Ms. Organization and put all of our tips in their respective envelopes (with a 2 year old, the less I have to do at the table, the better!). But anyway, we are a party of 9 (including my 2 year old), so I know we will atleast need to pay the 18% - and we will have 3 seperate checks. I think I read that she gets a free kids drink, but will eat off our plate. So, when I do my figuring, do I add in her drink amount, our entree and drink amount, and our desert amount (we have free dining)? Also, how much is tax, because I add tax in before I figure out the 18% gratuity right?

I hope this isn't confusing and if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it or let me know and I will. Thanks!

Tip is done before tax.

Last edited by Derryni; 03-13-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Derryni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #619
Derryni
Earning My Ears

Gift Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbeindisney View Post
If I have a gift card for a restaurant (ie Rainforest Cafe at DTD)after paying for the meal with the GC can I use the balance on the giftcard to pay the tip?? I always wondered about this at any restaurant.
Most restaurant Gift Cards work like credit cards. The server should bring you a receipt similar to a credit card receipt which should have a space to add a tip to the Gift Card if their is available funds after the purchase. You also should make sure you sign it and ask for a copy for yourself. That way if say your Gift Card is $100 and your bill is $50 and you add a $10 tip you will have proof that there is still $40 remaining on the Gift Card. Since Rainforest Cafe is a chain restaurant it should work this way. Hope this helps.
Derryni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #620
mccartcm
I just wanna go back

Question for the experts& I have done serious planning and have all my ADR booked and an idea what my boyfriend and I will order and what the costs would be. I have an idea of how much I will tip at each place and me question is, can I buy one of the visa/Amex gift cards($100) and use that solely for tipping?

Sorry if this was asked earlier couldn't read through everything!

Thanks!

1993: Off Site 1996: CBR
2000: CBR
2003: All Star Movies 2004: All Star Sports 2005: All Star Sports 2008: CBR
2011: POR

mccartcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #621
fici
Earning My Ears

tip based on what you order on dining plan

Be aware that if you are on any kind of dining plan, do not order what you are not going to eat just because you are on the dining plan. The tip is based on what you order. For instance, if you do not want a dessert, do not order as it just adds to the amount that the tip is based upon. We had Deluxe Dining and at a restaurant in Epcot we did not want a a particular appetizer(at the time they were included) and the waiter insisted saying you have it included in your dining plan so why not. As it happened, we really did not eat it or want it but the tax was based on another item(s).

Just thought I would mention it. It is based on the value of what you order.
fici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #622
Disneytwinsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fici View Post
Be aware that if you are on any kind of dining plan, do not order what you are not going to eat just because you are on the dining plan. The tip is based on what you order. For instance, if you do not want a dessert, do not order as it just adds to the amount that the tip is based upon. We had Deluxe Dining and at a restaurant in Epcot we did not want a a particular appetizer(at the time they were included) and the waiter insisted saying you have it included in your dining plan so why not. As it happened, we really did not eat it or want it but the tax was based on another item(s).

Just thought I would mention it. It is based on the value of what you order.
I never really thought of it that way...great tip!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #623
ALD85
DIS Veteran

Non restaurant tipping question....is it customary to tip the caricaturists?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #624
Malibustyle23
DIS Veteran

Forgive me if this has already been covered but we plan on being on the DDP and have an ADR for Rainforest Cafe. Can I use a RC giftcard (specifically one earned and printed from Swagbucks) solely for the gratuity?
Malibustyle23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #625
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibustyle23 View Post
Forgive me if this has already been covered but we plan on being on the DDP and have an ADR for Rainforest Cafe. Can I use a RC giftcard (specifically one earned and printed from Swagbucks) solely for the gratuity?
I would think so.
jenseib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #626
mouserrificmom
Mouseketeer

We will be using the dining plan next trip and we prefer to pay our tips in cash. We are a party of 7 for most of our meals, but in all cases they are "split parties" . . . my parents are on one reservation with a meal plan and joining us for most of our meals. So in effect, we will have 2 checks. I guess what I am wondering is A) will the automatic gratuity be automatically added as a party greater than 6, or B) because they are 2 checks, are they considered 2 separate parties? Either way is fine, and we usually tip 20%, so really the bigger question is one of convenience for us . . .
mouserrificmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #627
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouserrificmom
We will be using the dining plan next trip and we prefer to pay our tips in cash. We are a party of 7 for most of our meals, but in all cases they are "split parties" . . . my parents are on one reservation with a meal plan and joining us for most of our meals. So in effect, we will have 2 checks. I guess what I am wondering is A) will the automatic gratuity be automatically added as a party greater than 6, or B) because they are 2 checks, are they considered 2 separate parties? Either way is fine, and we usually tip 20%, so really the bigger question is one of convenience for us . . .
A.
Even though it's separate checks each party will be charged the grat on what they ordered only.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #628
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouserrificmom View Post
It's considered one party, so you'll get the 18%, but you'll receive 2 checks and the 18% will be figured on each check.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #629
playgrl807
Mouseketeer

I Have a question i'm not sure if this has been answered before. I am going to Disney in September using the Disney dining plan. There will be 2 different groups but we will all be sitting together. I know there will be an 18% gratuity added. If the other group decides to get any alcohol what do you think the best way to figure out the tip split up correctly. So we are not paying 18% on alcohol.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #630
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by playgrl807 View Post
I Have a question i'm not sure if this has been answered before. I am going to Disney in September using the Disney dining plan. There will be 2 different groups but we will all be sitting together. I know there will be an 18% gratuity added. If the other group decides to get any alcohol what do you think the best way to figure out the tip split up correctly. So we are not paying 18% on alcohol.
I would just ask for separate checks. You will still have to pay the 18% tip, but it would only be on what you ordered.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: