Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #31
Queenofthecastle
I may be the Queen, but the Tag Fairy rules!!! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodstertx
Does anyone know if it's ok to bring our own snorkeling equipment?
You can absolutely bring your own snorkeling gear!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

SSR DVC Members since 2004
Queenofthecastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #32
cruzisme
Earning My Ears

For the 5k is it a run or can people just walk it?
cruzisme is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 05:15 AM   #33
Alfiebookshop
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarwash
Sounds like a perfectly fine day at Castaway Cay to me!

Me too! We travel in September this year and I am desperate for a lovely day on Castaway Cay. We went last year (first cruise) in June and unfortunately storm Debby hit us - still a fun day but serenity bay literally had to close down!
Alfiebookshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #34
vavalynn2
Live in the Golden Snowball region
Cruising on the West Coast

Does the serenity bay are have snorkel and floats to rent or do you have to lug them from the family beach?
*6/1988- 1st trip to WDW- Offsite* 4/1995- Offsite*2/2003- Offsite *8/2003- Portofino Bay Hotel, Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress*10/2004-Portofino Bay Hotel, WL*6/2004-1st trip to DL Howard Johnson Anaheim*3/2005- POR*7/2005 –Grand Californian*2/2006-Disney Magic Western Cruise*12/2006- POR*3/2007-OKW*5/2008-Gaylord Palms*1/2009- AKV*4/2009- POR*4/2010-CSR*11/2010-CSR*2/2011-Disney Dream*8/2011- CSR*4/2012-Hilton Bonnet Creek*3/2013- Disney Fantasy- Western*8/2013- SSR*4/2014- Disney Fantasy-Eastern*8/2014- Disneyland offsite*10/2014 All Star Sports*4/2015-Disney Fantasy Eastern
vavalynn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #35
minniemoms
There's no place like Disney

I sure hope just walking I think I would love the walk

minniemoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #36
Lobofan5
Mouseketeer

On our first family vacation we had received a windfall, so it was a vacation of a lifetime, sooo..we got a cabana.

It was one of the last ones on the family beach, so we were secluded and had our own area to ourselves. Truthfully I, and DD, napped quite a bit of the time. The cooler was stocked with drinks, there were snacks there, we got a ride to and from and also, if we requested it, they would come pick us up to go get our lunch. A nice ceiling fan, our own hammock... it was a great day. After having done it once though, I don't really see the need to do it again. Our last visit was just me and DD and we went to serentity bay..nice and quiet.

If I was travelling with small children, or a big group..the shared cost of a cabana is worth it.

Just my .02---any day on Castaway Cay is awesome.
Lobofan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #37
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzPasq View Post
Any idea what the weight limit is? My daughter is almost 6, but weighs 35 pounds. She can't ride as long/far as the rest of us can, so this would be a great option.
My 3 year old is 40lbs; I would be more concerned about her height.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #38
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

Do you have to pre-register for the 5k? And what time does it usually start? Oh, and is there someplace to stash my beach bag so I don't have to re-board before diving in?

Feb 2009: Poly Jan 2010: Pop
June 2010: CBR October 2011: The Dream
November 2011: POR May 2012: AKV- Kidani
February 2013: POR May 2013: CBR December 2013: The Fantasy
Princess Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #39
cruzisme
Earning My Ears

Do you get a plastic or metal medal or a certificate upon completion?
Is there a time limit to complete?
cruzisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #40
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzisme View Post
For the 5k is it a run or can people just walk it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Sleepy View Post
Do you have to pre-register for the 5k? And what time does it usually start? Oh, and is there someplace to stash my beach bag so I don't have to re-board before diving in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzisme View Post
Do you get a plastic or metal medal or a certificate upon completion?
Is there a time limit to complete?

Lovely pretty 5K thread here!

I'm pretty sure you can walk, and they wait until after everyone's done to go away. By the time I got through the second loop the CM at the water station was gone, but the other CM was still at the finish line and the clock was still running (I finished in about 46 minutes with a very slow jog) and there were about 10 people still out on the course.

You don't preregister. The Navigator you get the night before will tell you when and where to meet. For me it was at 8:15 at Evolution on the Dream. You go (be ready! all dressed and ready to go, take a bathroom break before you get there b/c they won't stop for one, and have your KTTW and a photo ID with you), you meet, you get your bib number and safety pins to put it on, you walk off the ship en masse, walk to the starting line (everyone else takes trams, but the 5K people walk) and go.

I don't know about stuff-storage, as I had DH and DS bringing my stuff off the ship for me later.

BUT if I did it in the future, I might actually hurry back to the ship to change for the day. Why? Because it was really obnoxious to change from my sweaty running clothes into my bathing suit in a toilet stall in the public bathrooms. Even though my day was to consist of swimming in the ocean and lazing on a lounge chair, in retrospect (and in looking forward) I would have rather gone back to the ship, had a proper shower, gotten changed, and made my way back to the beach. Would have taken some time, but would have been more *pleasant*.

2/9/13 we got plastic mickey-ear medals, but no certificate. I was reading a trip report last night and saw that they use the same medal for other things; the picture I saw was of a teen who won, if memory serves, a basketball free-throw contest. They are highly generic. For me the bib number was more important, but that's me. I also didn't expect any medal OR certificate, because I thought I read the Dream hadn't had them in awhile, so the bib number is all I was expecting. The medal was a surprise.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #41
SuzPasq
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3chantal View Post
My 3 year old is 40lbs; I would be more concerned about her height.
She does have super long legs, so you're right, that might be a concern. We will play it by ear, I guess. Last year she rode about a mile, but we'd like to spend an hour bike riding. We can always trade off, I guess.
Disney Dream
1/11 (Inaugural 3nt), 4/13 (4nt)
Disney Fantasy
3/12 (Inaugural 7nt)
Upcoming cruise
Disney Magic 4nt 3/31

SuzPasq is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: