Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #16
Irishman
Earning My Ears

OK to all..it is 2-21-20013 9 pm.ish.Just got home last night.Cold in MD.Compare to Orlando.I am not affraid to travel solo.BUT due to all yous out there.I did a solo to Mickeyland.I had to go down for some personal business and lost some ME time.BUT.I did have a day in ahalf for myself.SO.still not expert as all of you BUT...I went to downtown.Shopped drang irish beer.Meet a bunch of folks from all over.Laughed my _utt offf...moooched a free pass to EPCOT.( timeshare business)...I was able to catch a bunch street shows in all of the countries.Shopped.( oh so not me).Ate well drank better.Did not feel bad being solo...mostly all adults drinking everyone was friendly..Thinking on trying a real week solo next Jan..give it a real try....
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #17
DisNorth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickspace View Post
I have a month sabbatical next January and plan on spending most of it at BW. I am very nervous that I will be very lonely and feel out of place.

We just returned from a family trip last week and I took a few hours to walk around by myself to see what it felt like and I just felt lonely and out of place. I felt like people were looking at me differently being alone.

I do have some plans when I go next January like meeting up with a friends, attending some classes, and meet-up park walking groups, but I am really concerned. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I love traveling solo! You can do what you want! Having some plans to meet up with people and classes will help break up your solo time. Have a list of 'to dos' and go with a good atitude. You are not out of place at all! Lots of solo adults at Disney! It's just your perception that people are looking at you diffrently. And really they don't know if you are really alone or not and it's none of their bussness so don't worry!
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I adore my solo trips to Disney more than when I go with my family.

I was nervous on my first solo trip. But I don't mind being alone so I quickly adapted.

I like to take pictures so I took alot of pictures. I did everything that I wanted that my family never does.

I chat with CM's and people in line (if they want to talk - sometimes they only want to talk to their group).

If I see anyone holding a map looking confused I stop to help. The funniest was in DHS, the folks were from Japan and didn't speak English and couldn't figure out how to get out of the Streets of America. I wasn't in any hurry so I after pantomine, they realized I was willing to lead them out and followed me. Then I went back to wander around.

If I see people trying to take a group shot and there's no Photopass Photographer around, I offer to take their picture so everyone can be in the shot. Usually they return the offer so I have a few pictures of me that aren't photopass.

I also preorder the photopass and make sure to have my picture taken alot. I love seeing characters!

And use single rider lines when available. Less waiting and more fun.

And be aware of your surroundings and who is nearby. Keep your deadbolt locked every time you are in the room for safety.

I hope you enjoy your solo trip.

Connie

Doing a quick weekend trip to see the Osborne Lights in December - staying offsite this time.

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
Anonny
Mouseketeer

I have had two week-long mostly solo trips. Love it! My biggest regret is that I have to pay full price for the motel room, would prefer to split the cost of the room.

I love going at my own pace. Single rider line is sometimes faster than the fast pass line. I like the serendipity of meeting people. I shared a boat with a large family on It's a Small World. Later in the day, they saw me in line Splash Mountain and they asked me to join them. They had an extra Fastpass from a family member not riding. I chatted with a nice woman waiting for lunch at Be Our Guest. We ended up eating together and found we knew people in common. Four days later, we unexpectedly met again in Epcot on the Segway tour.

As a solo diner, I usually get quick service food. For sit-down meals, I prefer buffets so I have something to do, I am not just waiting for food to be delivered.

Have fun!
Anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #20
DakotaRose
Mouseketeer

If you felt lonely and out of place and scrutinized while on your own for a few hours, even tho you knew you would see your family shortly, then you probably should not go solo. It's not for everyone. Your own experience is a pretty strong indication that it's going to be unpleasant for you. The posters above, like me, have really enjoyed solo travel. However, plenty of people do not. If you are going for it, I hope you have a great time!!

Last edited by DakotaRose; 02-27-2013 at 10:01 AM.
DakotaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #21
Disneybuckeye
DIS Veteran

Not a whole trip, but I did a whole day solo at DL back in January. I had a great time. Talked to people waiting in line and enjoyed being able to do what I wanted when I wanted. Would do it again in a heart beat. I did not notice anyone looking at me strangely.

Have a great time!

Enjoyed a great March 2011 trip staying at the Boardwalk.
Enjoyed a great December 2011 trip to our home resort VWL with a short visit to see Harry Potter.
Enjoyed a great October 2012 trip at BLT.
Enjoyed a last minute surprise trip to Disneyland February 2013.
Enjoyed a great October 2013 trip to Saratoga Springs with our daughter and her college friends
Disneybuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: