Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #16
lorenni
DIS Veteran

I am hesitant to list a milk allergy for him because he can have small amounts of dairy - he just can't drink it all day or he gets open sores on his bum. I don't want to unnecessarily limit the food they will bring him on the ship.

As for rice milk onboard - I wonder if they will give you extra so you have it outside of the MDRs. He drinks all day - not just a glass with meals.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #17
ktalina
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenni View Post
I am hesitant to list a milk allergy for him because he can have small amounts of dairy - he just can't drink it all day or he gets open sores on his bum. I don't want to unnecessarily limit the food they will bring him on the ship.

As for rice milk onboard - I wonder if they will give you extra so you have it outside of the MDRs. He drinks all day - not just a glass with meals.

Lorenni,

That's so interesting .... My son is exactly the same way! I explained this to Disney. I don't want a food allergy listed. he is ok with very small amounts but he drinks almond milk non-stop all day long. They mentioned that this becoming more common and they are working on a solution. My little one gets terrible diarrhea with regular milk .... Not something I want to deal with on a cruise

Didn't ask about the rice milk being available outside of MDRs. I'll make sure to ask on Monday.
ktalina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #18
lorenni
DIS Veteran

Let me know what you hear back.

If my son tolerates rice milk then I may still do the BLT and have some back up milk, if we end up ordering supplies from them.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #19
Brynnie
Mouseketeer

If you list milk as an allergy, they will def not serve him ANY....no exceptions. I have a lot of food allergies to not only milk, but also many RAW fruits and vegetables. Once these foods are cooked however, the allergen is no longer present....I don't know why. DCL *refused* to serve me any of the foods I am allergic to, even if they were cooked. The parks are not like this, but I think they may be more strict on the boat. I am assuming because it would be a much bigger deal to try to get someone to a hospital if there was a bad reaction, I don't blame them for being so strict. Food allergies are no joke. Now that I am aware, I just edit what I eat myself and make sure I don't comsume anything that will make me sick.

offsite 08/96 * All Star Sports 03/98, 04/00 * All Star Movies 05/01, 02/05 * Caribbean Beach 05/02 * Wyndham Palace Resort and Spa 01/03 * Royal Pacific Resort 05/03 * Hilton Downtown Disney 07/03 * Offsite 10/03 * DL- Crowne Plaza Garden Grove 12/03 * Coronado Springs 5/04 * Dolphin~WL 7/04 * AKL~Polynesian 07/05 * AKL~POR 01/06 * Swan 2/08 * Caribbean Beach 10/08 * DL- Embassy Suites South 01/09 * PBH 3/11* Swan 02/12* SSR/DCL DREAM 4 nt Bahamas May/12!!!!! * SSR/DCL DREAM 4 nt Bahamas Sept/12 * DCL Wonder 5 nt Western Caribbean out of Miami! 1/13
Brynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #20
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

My son is allergic to eggs, but if they are baked in something, it's fine.... I didn't list it as an allergy (since he never ate when we weren't around), and after how intense they were with the peanut allergy, I am glad I didn't! They couldn't offer us ANY pastries, etc.. Because they "may have come in contact". I was glad I hadn't mentioned the eggs!

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #21
Fellzie
Earning My Ears

This is smart- I wouldn't have even thought about this until it was too late! Although none of us have an allergy but a mere preference for almond milk. Perhaps I'll carry on a carton of shelf stable!
Fellzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #22
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Let me know what you hear back.

If my son tolerates rice milk then I may still do the BLT and have some back up milk, if we end up ordering supplies from them.
No help with the Almond Milk, though we drink it too- but just giving you a hello as a mom of a 13 yr old boy with EB
TR-THE WEEK OF YES!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2428215
GKTW-3/10 ASMO-2/11 Disney Wonder-2/12Disney Wonder-11/12Disney Magic-1/13
alaskanabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #23
lorenni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanabbott

No help with the Almond Milk, though we drink it too- but just giving you a hello as a mom of a 13 yr old boy with EB
Hello! I hope your son and your family are well.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #24
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

A little off topic, but they do have Imagine Rice Dream ice cream on board.

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #25
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You can get almond milk in shelf stable containers that do not need to be refrigerated until they are opened. I will need to bring it for my 20 month old son when we cruise in May. We do not have the option of a stop between the airport and the ship, so I will be following the advice of others and packing them in my checked bags, double boxed and bagged. Since neither DCL nor the baby travel delivery service will stock this item we don't have much choice.

We are lucky enough to be able to drive to the port so we don't have to worry about packing liquids. I don't know when you are traveling or if you are doing it all in one day so that Disney is picking up your bags at the airport and putting them on the bus. If not I would suggest you taking the soy milk out of your bags. If you think the airlines are hard on your bags Disney is very vary hard on the bags.

Here are two thread with photos to show what I'm talking about.
http://www.www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=43290010

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...78&postcount=1

If this is not possible for you I think your plan of wrapping things up is a good one. Have a great cruise.
Weedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #26
lorenni
DIS Veteran

Someone else on a booze thread suggested carefully packing liquids in one small suitcase and checking it without the DCL tags. So we would need to collect just that one bag at the Orlando airport and bring it with us on the bus. I think we'll take that route.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #27
ktalina
Earning My Ears

Good idea Lorenni

Things would be much easier for us if we weren't traveling across the country - coast to coast and into Canada. Next cruise will be out of Port Canaveral (45 min. Drive) Let me know if I can be of any help here in Central Florida
Old 03-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #28
jaybo22
Earning My Ears

Based on the advice given in this thread, we will plan to bring a couple boxes of the shelf stable rice milk with us. thanks!

To expand on the question above, are there non-dairy frozen desserts readily available on board like sorbet or even ice pops? It'll be tough to deny my son a Mickey ice cream bar, but you have to do what you have to do.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #29
hardingk
DVC Member since 2007 AKV & BLT

We just got off the wonder 2 weeks ago and my DH is lactose intolerant. They had soy and lactaid onboard. They had non-diary ice cream they served him for dessert. Just be aware, the "fridges" in the cabins are beverage coolers and not real fridges. It barely kept bottled water cold. Our head waiter gave DH a quart of lactaid to keep in the room, but the fridge did not keep it cold enough.
WDW:7/14 BLT, VBR & POP, 8/13 BLT, 7/13 AKVK, 6/3 BWV, 12/12 AKVK, 11/12 BLT, 9/12 AKVJ, 2/12 AKVJ, 12/11 SSR, 11/11 AKV, 10/11 BLT & VWL, 9/11 AKVJ, 3/11 VBR & AKVK, 8/10 AKVK, 7/10 POFQ, 5/10 AKVK, 1/10 AKVJ, 12/09 OKW, 11/09 AKVK, 9/09 BLT, 8/09 POP, 5/09 AKVK, 1/09 AKVJ, 12/08 AKVJ, 11/08 OKW, 04/08 SSR, 9/07 WL, 8/07 CBR, 7/07 SSR & POP, 05/07 POR, 4/07 CSR, 5/05 CSR, 1/03 AS Sports, 7/90 CR, 7/86 POLY, 7/83 CR, 7/79. DLR: 7/11 PPH & VGC, 7/09 GCH, 3/07 DCL: 9/11 Dream, 8/12 Magic, 9/12 Fantasy, 2/13 B2B Wonder, 12/13 Dream
Cast: Me , DH , DD
hardingk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #30
ktalina
Earning My Ears

I just got off the phone with the Special Needs department. DCL forwarded my info to them and they got in touch with me today. It was on my plans to call them but I was pleasantly surprised they called me

They will allow me to bring almond milk on board and will put a mini refrigerator in the room for me to keep the milk.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: