Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 04:37 AM   #16
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twe1vestone2 View Post
I can see not liking to be able to settle in but I love the fact that you're packing up.....AND NOT GOING HOME YET!!! I love how it just messes with my head, its a double check in to me! Awww ok we're checking out of the Boardwalk....time to go home....noo wait....time to go to THE BEACH CLUB!! hahahahaaa!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyChest View Post
Great responses thanks guys.
Poly also has the sentimental value for us now as well.
Yea we did 7 days and thats what i plan to do again. So yea debating 2 days at the WL and then 5 at poly . The thing is coming back to the pool and beach and torches was so relaxing. My family is all adults so we spent time at the parks AND at the resort which was amazingly relaxing.
We had free dining so doing 1 resort was ideal.
The refurbishment at poly also has added to my interest level. At the same time the christmas decos will be up and i wanna expirience the WL as well.
This is one of the hardest decisions of my life hahaha.
I didn't notice you'd be at WL when the decorations are up . I've only seen pics, by the time we go in Jan they are gone!! Both are great resorts, and maybe they'll finally have abhor tub in at Poly by then. We stayed at Poly in winter, and we really missed a hot tub. I think if we ever stay at Poly again it would be a summer trip. Funny, but I have certain resorts I like for winter trips, and others I prefer for summer.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #17
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

The Poly is our favorite, but we stayed at the WL in 2008 and really enjoyed it. My DH loves it ALMOST as much as the Poly, but for the kids and me it's not that close.

That said, during the holidays, we all would choose the WL over the Poly, just for the decorations and that lobby with the fireplace. The special theme really works for the WL around the holidays, while the tropical theme isn't exactly what we're looking for at that time of year. For us the Poly theme holds more appeal when it's pretty much guaranteed to be hot out.

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #18
yolie912
DIS Veteran

We have always stayed at the Poly but this past Christmas we decided to try the Wilderness Lodge. I loved it. The Christmas decorations were up and it was lovely to have everything under one roof. I am going back in September and I have to say nothing like the Poly. We are going back to Poly! I just missed being there and I loved the location and the monorail. you wont be dissapointed with your choice. They are both great.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #19
WMorganS
Flapping My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by twe1vestone2

I would definitely do the WL first, because if you don't wind up liking it then at least you know you'll be heading to your safe haven next instead of home. It's a rough feeling to do a 1 or 2 night test somewhere at the end of your trip, wind up not liking it as much, and then have to go home on that kind of low note. It stinks.
I totally agree. Even if you end up preferring Poly over all, you're certain to love WL for a couple nights, especially at Holiday time.
WMorganS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #20
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

I think Disney resorts are like your relatives - some you like more than others, but there's room to love more than one!

The key is to let each resort stand on it's own, without comparing it to another resort. Allow yourself to enjoy the theme and amenities of WL without constantly comparing it to what the Poly has. No two resorts have the exact same amenities, even those that are connected physically.

For example, I've stayed at BC and YC. Even though they are physically connected and share many amenities, the theme and tone of each resort is different, and there are enough differences in the amenities to make the stays totally different. Yet, I like them both.

I've had great stays at Poly and at WL, so I don't really see a wrong choice between them. I do agree with having your stay at the "new" resort first and then moving to the resort you are familiar with - just in case WL doesn't wow you as much as you thought it would.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #21
WDW in Pearls
Monograms and Minnie Ears

Hello! I'm a Poly vet who visited WL for the first time last year, so I thought I'd chime in.

The accommodations at WL were fantastic. Appliances were new and well maintained, everything was clean, and the staff was attentive. There are a few ways WL outweighs Poly and vice versa.

First of all, you will never understand the value of being on the monorail line until you aren't! The boats are slower and there's longer wait times. If you're rushing to get to an ADR or rope drop at a park, this could be a problem.

Being off the beaten path is also a benefit. The Poly is full of shoppers and diners, whereas everyone at WL is, for the most part, staying there. None of the rooms are noisy.

There are more options for rooms with nice views. I opt for the less expensive woods view over the courtyard because I prefer the view of Bay Lake over the view of the pool. You won't be able to view the fireworks unobstructed without a little pixie dust, though. NO hotel's view compares to the theme park views at the Poly, IMO. However, those rooms are limited and expensive.

Lastly, and maybe this is just me, but the guests are much nicer. I've encountered some snooty folks when staying at the poly or GF. Maybe it's just me.

Overall, I'd say try WL. The accommodations are just as luxurious, plus the building is a bit newer and doesn't look as old as the Poly is starting to look (unfortunately). And the price difference is huge!

Hope that helps!

WDW in Pearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #22
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Will a Poly Lover like Wilderness Lodge?

Good question ... I know this Wilderness Lodge Lover does not like the Poly
IMO, It's all a matter of theming preference. We almost always do split stays so that we can try something new as well as our favorites all in the trip.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #23
Magical JenK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My family and i went to wdw for the first time last december and stayed at the Poly , fell completely and madly in love with it. We made a visit to the wilderness lodge during the trip and thought it looked nice and cozy.
We are planing to go again this year and im considering a split stay at poly and WL but i keep feeling like i dont want to even miss 1 night at the poly.
Will i regret using a couple nights to stay at the WL?
OP! Thanks for posting this! I'm in the same situation right now....Poly lover, but considering the WL for the first time. I could have written this myself!!

Thank you to all that replied.

My situation is a bit different. My DH does not want to do a split stay (although that would totally make this so much easier for me!), so our 10-night stay needs to be at either my beloved Poly or WL.

I've always loved the look & ambiance of WL & have booked it a few times, only to get cold feet & change back to the Poly. I'm certain I will love the WL, but am worried about missing the Poly...and even more afraid if I went to visit the Poly, I may not make it back to WL. Hahaha

The new Visa discount (20% off at Poly or 30% at WL/Free Dining) for my Sept dates isn't helping matters...it's so much less expensive to stay at WL...but again, will I miss my nearly nightly Dole Whip?! (YES!)

Normally we would be returning each year, so this wouldn't be as big of a deal, but it may be a few years until we return so that's another notch on the Poly side....

Oh the problem of picking a resort at DISNEY WORLD!
Off site September 1983 Off site February 1993 Caribbean Beach April 2004 Port Orleans French Quarter September 2005 Port Orleans French Quarter September 2006 Coronado Springs Resort September 2007Coronado Springs Resort April 2008Saratoga Springs Resort October 2008Coronado Springs Resort December 2008Polynesian Resort September 2009Contemporary Resort/Tree House Villas October 2009 Polynesian Resort September 2011Polynesian Resort September 2012

Last edited by Magical JenK; 05-07-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Magical JenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #24
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical JenK View Post
My DH does not want to do a split stay (although that would totally make this so much easier for me!), so our 10-night stay needs to be at either my beloved Poly or WL.
Too bad ... Split stays can be really fun.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: