Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
HairyChest
Mouseketeer

Will a Poly Lover like Wilderness Lodge?

My family and i went to wdw for the first time last december and stayed at the Poly , fell completely and madly in love with it. We made a visit to the wilderness lodge during the trip and thought it looked nice and cozy.
We are planing to go again this year and im considering a split stay at poly and WL but i keep feeling like i dont want to even miss 1 night at the poly.
Will i regret using a couple nights to stay at the WL?
HairyChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
Cindie-rella
...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.

It's nice to experience other resorts. My DH wants to stay at POR each trip. That's his all-time fave ! I like to try different places and themes. Just make sure if you do a split stay do WL 1st. If you're staying 7 nights, do 2 at WL the rest at POLY. Then you'll know for next time....We are staying at the POLY for our 1st time next month. 8 nights LV. So maybe I'll change my answer after that ! I'm afraid I'm going to be "hooked" too ! And at these prices, that ain't good ! We could have done POR twice for this 1 POLY stay ! But I need to experience this place at least once in my life and we just don't know what's around the next corner...
Go for it and enjoy the change

2000 ASMo 2005 POR 2006 AKL 2007 POR 2008 AKL/OKW 2013 POLY
Cindie-rella is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2013, 05:18 AM   #3
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

We used to stay at the Poly, but thru the years it has out priced itself for what it's worth.....

Yeah, room are bigger, monorail access, view of the MK from the beach ( far far away).... That's it...place to shower and sleep, years ago I decided the cost over ride the amenities...

WL became our go to resort... Thru the years and trips (over 45 ) we've done almost all the deluxe resorts except BWI..... Some more often then others and some never again... But the WL has never let us down, location, theme, beauty and price.... Top shelf for us.... Plus we don't feel we're throwing money away like staying at the Poly....

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #4
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

I would stay at the resort I love until I am tired of going there and decide that I want to try something new. Or, I need to or want to spend less money on a resort. I love the tried and true, the one that has never let me down, the place that makes me happy. A trip to WDW is more than a trip to a bunch of theme parks. It is the whole experience. And it is expensive. Go where you will be happiest.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyChest View Post
My family and i went to wdw for the first time last december and stayed at the Poly , fell completely and madly in love with it. We made a visit to the wilderness lodge during the trip and thought it looked nice and cozy.
We are planing to go again this year and im considering a split stay at poly and WL but i keep feeling like i dont want to even miss 1 night at the poly.
I know exactly how you feel because we loved the Poly the minute we checked in . We've stayed at both the WL and Poly and love both for different reasons, but the Poly will always be our favorite. The WL is a beautiful resort and we love the outdoor/woods theme, but the Poly has an edge for us in that the rooms are quite a bit larger and all rooms come with a daybed. The WL is a very nice resort, but I will say it is hard to go to a smaller room with no daybed once you've experienced a more spacious room with an extra bed. Plus the tropical atmosphere is so relaxing and it's hard to beat having the beach right there for watching the fireworks and seeing the castle off in the distance. I agree with the pp that if you do end up doing a split, I'd do the WL first and end with the Poly, that way if you don't care for the WL, you know your trip will end with something you know and love .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
MissionMouse
DIS Veteran

OP,
There is nothing to say your thoughts and feeling for the PR after staying there only once are any different then someone who says they love the Poly after multiple vacation and staying at all the deluxe resorts.

On the other hand, it sounds like you have not stayed at any other deluxe, so it is possible you might like another resort just as much or more. Then there could be the possibilty your concern could be real and impact your stay. This is probably your dilemma. You can always try to get a room at another resort if you find yourself not liking a resort, but it would be rack rate and based upon availability. Its not an ideal situation.

Overall, We did a spilt stay between PR and WL. We preferred PR over WL. There is always a very real possibility you would miss the PR, especially if you have it as a concern. Its a vacation, stay where you gut is telling you to stay, if your budget allows it. If a spilt stay, do WL first as others have recommended.

Disney World - Magic Kingdom Entrance - Walk Around The World Brick Owner
Boardwalk Inn Photos
Typhoon Lagoon Photos
Wishes-Fireworks from PR & MK Photo Album - 30 Photos
Sea World and Marriott Rennaissance SW - Photo Album - 40+ Photos
Disney World Park and Deluxe Resort Photographs
MissionMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
mmmears
DIS Veteran

A split-stay is a great way to check out a new resort. If you spend a couple of days at the WL, then head over to the Poly, you know you will be happy in the end. And you might just find another favorite in the WL (and if you don't it's only a couple of days). IMO it's worth the chance.

That's how we've tried out new resorts -- always on a split with a favorite so that we know we will be happy with at least 1/2 the resorts. Honestly, it's been great and we ended up really liking every resort we have tried (AKL, YC, BC, GF, and the Poly).

Just make sure you put the Poly second, so you won't be moving away from it to the WL.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Only you will know for sure, but you're asking so I'll answer

We stayed at the Poly before we tried WL. Of the resorts that we had stayed at up to Poly, the Poly became my wife and my favorite resort. After staying at the WL, the Poly is still my wife's favorite resort but the WL moved into first place for me then. And now, because we have stayed at other resorts since WL. I just love the whole theme going on, from the landscaping when driving up to the resort, when you first see the lobby it's fantastic, and going outside to the back, another beautifully landscapes area. I loved walking around the grounds, and exploring the lodge itself.

I've written this in other posts similar to yours.

If you are not willing try new resorts; you may not discover your new favorite resort. So I say go for it. It may not become your new favorite, but it doesn't mean you won't enjoy it. And then you will know if it is worth it or not! Because you won't know until you try it.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, Port Canaveral/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I actually don't like to stay at he same resort 2 times in a row. I stayed twice at Poly before trying WL. I enjoy the unique theming of each resort. I liked the convenience of everything in one building at WL and I am a hot tub lover with 2 at WL was great! If your family liked the looks of WL then you will love it

Maybe do WL first then move to Poly. For split stays I always do my fav last.
trishadono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I would say it would depend on how many are in your family. WL rooms are smaller and you may feel cramped. We love both Poly and WL, really I've enjoyed every WDW resort we've stayed at, all have something special to offer.

Im not a fan of split stays unless I'm on a longer trip of 10+ days. Otherwise I just feel like I'm checking in & out, without being able to settle at either resort.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #11
twe1vestone2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Oh my, I know exactly how you feel! Once I found the Beach Club, I did NOT want to go anywhere else!!!!

I am a huge creature of habit, so to go anywhere else was really uncomfortable to me lol. One time the wife decided she wanted to try something new (just so happened to be the Wilderness Lodge), so after our Disney Cruise 3 years ago, we went to the Wilderness Lodge for a few days. I loved it, its a great place, wonderful theme, great feel, awesome restaurants, amazing pool, etc etc etc. BUT....it was no Beach Club!!! And I was highly disappointed that I never got to see my Beach Club lol.

SO, what we do now is if she wants to try a new place, we will book the first 1 or 2 nights at a new place, and then the rest at the Beach Club (OORR now because of this new system, the Boardwalk!). So this is a safe way to try new places, and I don't think you will ever regret spending 1 or 2 nights out of 6-8 at a new spot. Who knows, you may find another staple like I did! Whenever we don't wanna try a new resort on a certain trip, I always book half Boardwalk, half Beach Club now!! lol
May 2010 (Beach Club Villas)
December 2010 (Animal Kingdom Lodge,Boardwalk Villas)
twe1vestone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #12
twe1vestone2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Im not a fan of split stays unless I'm on a longer trip of 10+ days. Otherwise I just feel like I'm checking in & out, without being able to settle at either resort.

I can see not liking to be able to settle in but I love the fact that you're packing up.....AND NOT GOING HOME YET!!! I love how it just messes with my head, its a double check in to me! Awww ok we're checking out of the Boardwalk....time to go home....noo wait....time to go to THE BEACH CLUB!! hahahahaaa!!!!
Old 03-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #13
HairyChest
Mouseketeer

Great responses thanks guys.
Poly also has the sentimental value for us now as well.
Yea we did 7 days and thats what i plan to do again. So yea debating 2 days at the WL and then 5 at poly . The thing is coming back to the pool and beach and torches was so relaxing. My family is all adults so we spent time at the parks AND at the resort which was amazingly relaxing.
We had free dining so doing 1 resort was ideal.
The refurbishment at poly also has added to my interest level. At the same time the christmas decos will be up and i wanna expirience the WL as well.
This is one of the hardest decisions of my life hahaha.
HairyChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #14
twe1vestone2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Great responses thanks guys.
Poly also has the sentimental value for us now as well.
Yea we did 7 days and thats what i plan to do again. So yea debating 2 days at the WL and then 5 at poly . The thing is coming back to the pool and beach and torches was so relaxing. My family is all adults so we spent time at the parks AND at the resort which was amazingly relaxing.
We had free dining so doing 1 resort was ideal.
The refurbishment at poly also has added to my interest level. At the same time the christmas decos will be up and i wanna expirience the WL as well.
I would definitely do the WL first, because if you don't wind up liking it then at least you know you'll be heading to your safe haven next instead of home. It's a rough feeling to do a 1 or 2 night test somewhere at the end of your trip, wind up not liking it as much, and then have to go home on that kind of low note. It stinks.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:17 AM   #15
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
. At the same time the christmas decos will be up and i wanna expirience the WL as well.
would go with WL - split stays are more expensive with free dinning - maybe with the WL part would just be the room - and yea that means it has to be at the end - so you can have the tickets.

so 5 days at Polyn, then 2 or 3 at WL.

WL has a lot of offer - it is to me very romantic - lots of spaces to curl up with a good book or your spouse..

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: