Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #76
MDennis28
Mouseketeer

We are cruising Eastern Carib Sept 21, 2013. When is the best time to buy insurance? The all-inclusive no matter what kind? Complete coverage (MIL ailing and aged) most important -and cost is not. Don't want to buy it too late. Thank you. This has been a very helpful thread.
MDennis28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #77
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDennis28 View Post
We are cruising Eastern Carib Sept 21, 2013. When is the best time to buy insurance? The all-inclusive no matter what kind? Complete coverage (MIL ailing and aged) most important -and cost is not. Don't want to buy it too late. Thank you. This has been a very helpful thread.
Generally, most insurance that covers pre-existing conditions needs to be purchased within 14 days of initial payment for cruise.

We buy our insurance as soon as we know we're cruising. There's really no price break buying it later than sooner. And that way we're covered as soon as we have made any payments to cruise/hotel/airlines.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #78
southlake
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your post. I was about to purchase trip insurance through DCL but decided to post here real quick before I did. Luckily, some members gave me the great advice that unless I was also booking our airfare and hotel through DCL, DCL's trip insurance wouldn't cover that portion of our "trip." I then booked Allianz outside of DCL and put in a dollar amt that would include our cruise and airfare. Phew!

I hope everything works out for you, OP!

Disneyland (DLH): 5/12, 10/12, 11/12, 10/13, 11/13

Disney Aulani: 8/13
Disney 'Fantasy' Cruise: Eastern Caribbean, 5/13; Western Caribbean, 5/14
RunDisney: 5K Castaway Cay, 5/14
Upcoming: Disneyland HalloweenTime & Disneyland Thanksgiving 2014!

We go to DLR every October (DD Birthday/HalloweenTime) & November (Disneyland Thanksgiving) and LOVE going during the two holidays!!
southlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #79
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
If it's been more than 14-21 days since you paid your first deposit, then look at the CSA Custom Luxe policy (check it out at www.*****************). It gives you a pre-existing condition waiver if you purchase it within 24 hours of paying in full. It does cost a bit more, but it's worth it if you need the PEC.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #80
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
I know you are frustrated, but you bought insurance for your cruise, not for you pre-cruise stay or travel. The premium for your insurance is based on the price of your trip, and for them your price was the cruise.

Some people book everything through Disney, and basically have door to door coverage because the cost of the entire trip is used in figuring out the premium for the insurance. Say a family decided to go to WDW for a week before the cruise and had airfare and a suite at the Contemporary and got sick before they even left home. Would it be fair for the insurance company to cover those costs when another family booked the same cabin on the cruise, paid the same insurance premium (for the cruise only), but lived in Florida so only cancelled the actual cruise?

If you had booked insurance through another insurer, and you wanted the coverage from door to door, they would have based the premium on the entire cost of your vacation, not just on the cruise portion. You can buy trip insurance just from the airline for just the airfare, or you can book hotels with a cancellation policy you like (may have to pay a little more for the 'insurance' to be able to cancel). You bought cruise insurance, and that's what you got. They are refunding the cost of your cruise, correct? You weren't yet checked in to the cruise when your daughter got sick, so you weren't yet covered by the cruise insurance. Just like with auto insurance or health insurance, there is an effective time when the policy begins. If you are in an accident on the way to buy insurance, you aren't going to have coverage.

Nancy
If you have Costco as your agent, they base the insurance on the cost of the cruise only, but cover the flights and hotels as well. And you get preexisting coverage if bought within 24 hours of final payment. So, your scenario isn't always right. You just have to have the right policy.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #81
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tea View Post
If you have Costco as your agent, they base the insurance on the cost of the cruise only, but cover the flights and hotels as well. And you get preexisting coverage if bought within 24 hours of final payment. So, your scenario isn't always right. You just have to have the right policy.

I'm sure there are limits on the Costco (or other) insurance policies too. If you leave your house and fly to WDW and stay there for 2 weeks before going on the cruise, and all you've bought is insurance for the cruise, I doubt your 2 weeks would be covered. There has to be a dollar limit or at the very least a time when the policy kicks in, like maybe 24 hours before the cruise. If you fly 1st class and only pay for the coverage for the cruise, again I think there will be limits on what you can recover.

No policy is going to cover everything, so just know what is covered. The OP gave a good warning.

Nancy.
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #82
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

When you purchase a travel insurance policy on your own you give the dates of travel from the time you leave your home to the time you return to your home, no matter how long it is. We were covered for three weeks when we did the PC repo because we stayed in CA for a week prior to the cruise. You tell them how much the cost of the trip is, and your premium is based on that -- along with the age of each person traveling.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #83
MDennis28
Mouseketeer

If I buy the CSA Custom Luxe policy, should I buy the DCL insurance as well, as a back-up?
MDennis28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #84
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
If I buy the CSA Custom Luxe policy, should I buy the DCL insurance as well, as a back-up?
I'm really not sure about the legalities of that. I don't know if you can buy multiple policies to cover the same thing. I'd call www.***************** and ask them. Personally, you're really over-insuring yourself. The only thing the DCL insurance would do for you is cover you if your claim is denied by both insurance companies. You'd get the future credit in that case. I just don't see why you'd want to do that. I mean, I understand in theory why, you'd be covered for most every situation. But you're really over-insuring yourself, unless you buy the CSA Custom Luxe policy for everything *except* the cost of the cruise.

Sayhello

Old 03-10-2013, 01:16 AM   #85
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrocker View Post
They subrogated to the EMPLOYER?? And won?? That's crazy!! Lol.
The employer was the one who caused the loss that the insurance company had to pay out for.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #86
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
I'm really not sure about the legalities of that. I don't know if you can buy multiple policies to cover the same thing. I'd call www.***************** and ask them. Personally, you're really over-insuring yourself. The only thing the DCL insurance would do for you is cover you if your claim is denied by both insurance companies. You'd get the future credit in that case. I just don't see why you'd want to do that. I mean, I understand in theory why, you'd be covered for most every situation. But you're really over-insuring yourself, unless you buy the CSA Custom Luxe policy for everything *except* the cost of the cruise.

Sayhello
You can buy all the insurance you want, you just can't claim the same loss twice and profit from the loss. Usually the insurers will subjugate and figure out which one will pay which part of the claim.

This actually happens much more often than you think. If you have an accident at work, your health insurance company will pay and then see if your employer should pay, or your car insurance. On a trip, some losses might be covered by a credit card or an airline club.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #87
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
You can buy all the insurance you want, you just can't claim the same loss twice and profit from the loss. Usually the insurers will subjugate and figure out which one will pay which part of the claim.

This actually happens much more often than you think. If you have an accident at work, your health insurance company will pay and then see if your employer should pay, or your car insurance. On a trip, some losses might be covered by a credit card or an airline club.

Nancy
Thanks. That makes sense.

Sayhello

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: