Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #1696
Maisey13
Mouseketeer

Thank you Goofyshell! They are adorable! I will order those too.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #1697
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaCrush View Post
Doing the happy dance! Just called Contemporary Private Dining and arranged for the chocolate monorail to be deliverd to our room at Bay Lake Tower on arrival day! It's a white chocolate monorail-- 3 cars, two ends and a middle. And they stand it up on a track! It also comes with 8 chocolate gourmet truffles for $40. Very excited. Now how am I going to keep quiet so I can suprise my family??? Thanks so much lurkyloo for the info!
Thank you so much for this info! I know it'll be almost a year, but we are going for my 2 year old's third birthday and he is obsessed with the monorail so this might be a fun thing to have for him in our room. I wonder if they will deliver it to Wilderness Lodge like they would a cake as that is where we're staying this trip?

DL Native=Too many trips to count!DLP: 1998Tokyo Disney 2000
Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 1/2015 - CR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #1698
Primrose
Earning My Ears

So many questions!

Hey everyone! I have a whole bunch of questions and hopefully someone can help me!

My family is visiting the World again this August for a little over a week We are all very excited, as we are celebrating mine and my sister's college graduations and my mom's birthday!

Before our last family trip in August 2011, I did some serious lurking in this thread to order a cake for my mom's birthday at the Brown Derby, but they didn't end up having it ready when we got there, which was kind of a bummer. I am hoping to order a cake again for this trip, so I'm thinking you guys can help me be a little bit more successful

To celebrate our graduation, I think it would be fun to do a Parent Trap theme circa 1998, since my sister and I are redheaded twins and we have always loved that movie. Any chance of this being possible? It would also be cool if we could somehow incorporate Oreos and peanut butter with that, since thats an iconic thing from the movie. I guess a cake like this would fall in the realm of a "fancy" cake, but I am not quite sure how to even go about ordering it.

We currently have ADRs at San Angel Inn, Mama Melrose, and CRT. Is it possible to get a cake like this delivered at any of these places? From what I've read CRT seems like the only place that could work, but we are also thinking about booking the Dessert Party that night, and I think we would possibly die from a sugar overdose with a cake on top of that.

I should also add that we are not staying on Disney property for this trip, which eliminates delivery to a room. We will probably go to Downtown Disney a few times, so I am also wondering are there any restaurants there that will work with a resort bakery to do a cake like this.

As a side note, I also don't know what to do for my mom's birthday. We will actually be at Universal on her real birthday and she seems a bit against celebrating any other day besides that, but I would still like to do a little something for her cakewise. Any suggestions on that front would also be great.

Please help! Any suggestions are welcome
Old 03-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #1699
Maisey13
Mouseketeer

PRIMROSE~ If you read the first two posts of this thread as they contain answers to every possible question (with links and pictures). It is the best FAQ I have ever seen on the topic!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #1700
TiggerTrigger
The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers Is Tiggers Are Wonderful Things!!!

A Highly Ridiculous Cake Question

This may wind up being something that I have to ask Chef Brian about, but I figure I'll ask here first...

For the white chocolate toppers, I know they can do all kinds of things with them...but here goes...

Can they "Dress" the toppers?

More specifically, do you think they'd dress the Donald topper like one of the IASW girls in the South Pacific room- i.e. fondant grass skirt, gumpaste flower lei, etc.

I mean, I had a moon and star put in Mickey's hands for our last cake, but that's a far cry from turning him into a hula girl. It's going to be an IASW themed cake, but I still don't know if they'd go to these lengths to incorporate the Donald topper into the theme. I mean- it seems very Donald, but not sure if they'd agree. Any thoughts?
Old 03-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #1701
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

I need some ideas for a high school graduation cake, please! My daughter loves Pirates, Peter Pan, Tink, and Wendy and is a theatre girl. Any ideas??
Old 03-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #1702
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran

I am so mad. I just got of the phone with Pat at the GF about the cake I would like to do for a surprise for my DH birthday. IPO from the Poly emailed her the info I sent them. I asked for the following: 2 tier one 3inch other 5inch( I saw that someone had it on here from somewhere. I also asked for almond flavor with the tropical mousse filling. And I was looking for the cake to be covered in buttercream. As far as decorations I wanted a party looking theme with streamers and cofetti and a picture of the Fab 5 (maybe a party picture) and then something that said Happy Birthday.

Well she told me they dont do that size. They could do a 6inch on top of 8inch but that would start at $200 They said went on saying that they could only do the tropical mousse filling if they had a wedding at that time and they had any left. So i asked about the passion fruit mousse, she said it was the same. WHAT the heck I am so mad. She also went on saying that the chef will not do anything smaller than the 6/8inch tier cake, but she could maybe get him to do a 3/6 inch tier but she was not sure. And then gave me the list of basic flavors. She also tried telling me I could do the Mickey face cake. I am so mad. What do I do.

Should I call Chef Brian and see if I get the cake from them. Problem being I would have to go pick it up somehow (without DH knowing what I am doing) then I would have to ask IPO at the Poly to hold it til we leave for dinner and then have them put it in the room. Can I even pick it up at the Wave anymore. I know we dont leave til September, but I am so mad that it is that hard to get a cake. I read so many good things that I was shocked at this. Ideas PLEASE

Many Trips Before DS
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-BLT LV (DS 1st MVMCP)
Old 03-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #1703
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

As I mentioned we will be at WDW for youngest DS's 3rd birthday in August. I'd like to get a mini cake delivered to our room at WL for his birthday. I don't want anything huge since DH insisted on the DxDP so I can only imagine how stuffed we'll be, but thought it might be nice to have a cake when we go back for our post lunch break. So now I'm trying to think of a theme. I don't have an ounce of artistic ability, but I'm thinking of a Peter Pan theme. I was hoping they could do a Captain Hook hat on the top where I've seen some Mickey ears and then maybe a croc on the bottom layer? I know they're not very big so I have no clue what would fit! There are so many creative people here I figured I'd throw out my idea and see what the experts had to say! TIA!

Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 1/2015 - CR
Old 03-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #1704
cmcadoo66
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetyll

How big was your Ariel cake (6 inch, 8 inch) and did you just order this recently?
Thanks!
It was a 6 inch cake and we had it on Feb. 16th of this year.

Upcoming: Fantasy 12/13
Previous trips: BCR 7/13, POR 4/13, AoA 02/13, POP 01/13, AoA 11/12, POP 10/12, POR 9/12, BCR 8/12, Magic Eastern 11/11, BCR 7/11, CBR 8/09, Pop 7/08, ASM 6/06, Pop 4/05, Pop 4/04
Old 03-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #1705
cmcadoo66
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna be Ariel
I am so mad. I just got of the phone with Pat at the GF about the cake I would like to do for a surprise for my DH birthday. IPO from the Poly emailed her the info I sent them. I asked for the following: 2 tier one 3inch other 5inch( I saw that someone had it on here from somewhere. I also asked for almond flavor with the tropical mousse filling. And I was looking for the cake to be covered in buttercream. As far as decorations I wanted a party looking theme with streamers and cofetti and a picture of the Fab 5 (maybe a party picture) and then something that said Happy Birthday.

Well she told me they dont do that size. They could do a 6inch on top of 8inch but that would start at $200 They said went on saying that they could only do the tropical mousse filling if they had a wedding at that time and they had any left. So i asked about the passion fruit mousse, she said it was the same. WHAT the heck I am so mad. She also went on saying that the chef will not do anything smaller than the 6/8inch tier cake, but she could maybe get him to do a 3/6 inch tier but she was not sure. And then gave me the list of basic flavors. She also tried telling me I could do the Mickey face cake. I am so mad. What do I do.

Should I call Chef Brian and see if I get the cake from them. Problem being I would have to go pick it up somehow (without DH knowing what I am doing) then I would have to ask IPO at the Poly to hold it til we leave for dinner and then have them put it in the room. Can I even pick it up at the Wave anymore. I know we dont leave til September, but I am so mad that it is that hard to get a cake. I read so many good things that I was shocked at this. Ideas PLEASE
I wish I could help you with the info about picking up at the Wave but I don't know the answer to that. I just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one to have a bad time dealing with Pat! I had to work with her to order my DS's birthday cake because I wanted it delivered to our dinner at O'hanas. I asked for white cake with a cookies and cream filling (which I had seen on here already) and she was not flexible at all! The cake turned out beautiful but had I gone with the bakery that would have delivered to our resort, I would have gotten what I wanted. I find the Boardwalk bakery and the Y&BC bakery are very flexible and more accommodating. Boardwalk made me a chocolate with peanut butter mousse filling and Y&BC made me a red velvet with cream cheese filling. Not even a hesitation on their part. I hope you can work it out with Chef Brian to get what you want.

Another thought though.........could you ask IPO if they would be willing to pick it up for you? They might be willing to do it. It wouldn't hurt to ask anyway. Good luck!! :D

Upcoming: Fantasy 12/13
Previous trips: BCR 7/13, POR 4/13, AoA 02/13, POP 01/13, AoA 11/12, POP 10/12, POR 9/12, BCR 8/12, Magic Eastern 11/11, BCR 7/11, CBR 8/09, Pop 7/08, ASM 6/06, Pop 4/05, Pop 4/04
Old 03-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #1706
TiggerTrigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugadog99 View Post
I need some ideas for a high school graduation cake, please! My daughter loves Pirates, Peter Pan, Tink, and Wendy and is a theatre girl. Any ideas??
I've seen that Peter Pan and Tink (separately) are white chocolate topper options (sorry, no Wendy). I can't recall ever seeing the Peter Pan one, but there are several cute cakes we've seen witht he Tink topper. There have also been some really nice pirate cakes with skulls, treasure chests, ships, etc.

Now, if you wanted to incorporate all of the characters and the pirate concept...you'd probably be best to go with a variation of one of the pirate cakes on here and do 2D edible standups of the characters. The pirate theme is a nice stand on its own sort of theme. The toppers kind of push you into a very specific theme and without seeing the Peter Pan topper- it does give me an idea...2 actually...

1. You could do a cake with the topper, resting in a bed of clouds (frosting), and then the sides of the cake could have edible images of them all flying off to Neverland...kind of a "you can fly" visual.

2. If you went with a 2D stand up image of the you can fly scene- you could see if they could sculpt some of London (if it's take off) to go around it OR they could be arriving in Neverland (if landing). i.e. having their edible images flying towards Big Ben or a view of the island below. maybe following a trail of pixie dust as well. Sorry- I have pics of it in my mind but it's hard to verbalize it w/o a sketch to go with it.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #1707
TiggerTrigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingeire View Post
As I mentioned we will be at WDW for youngest DS's 3rd birthday in August. I'd like to get a mini cake delivered to our room at WL for his birthday. I don't want anything huge since DH insisted on the DxDP so I can only imagine how stuffed we'll be, but thought it might be nice to have a cake when we go back for our post lunch break. So now I'm trying to think of a theme. I don't have an ounce of artistic ability, but I'm thinking of a Peter Pan theme. I was hoping they could do a Captain Hook hat on the top where I've seen some Mickey ears and then maybe a croc on the bottom layer? I know they're not very big so I have no clue what would fit! There are so many creative people here I figured I'd throw out my idea and see what the experts had to say! TIA!

I think it will all boil down to any limitations they might have with decorations vs. cake size. I have not seen them do an edible Hook hat w/ears, but it sounds like something they could do. If they do the croc it will also need to be a 2D image. If they can't do the Hook hat w/ears, you could just draw on other elements from him...like seeing if they can add on the hook, or maybe the watch, or even a mini pirate ship...but once again, not sure if size will make it a no go.

Now I do have an idea, but again- not sure if it could work for a mini cake. While they can't sculpt Hook, they could put an edible 2D image of him on a cake. So, what I'm envisioning has a small sculpted rowboat on top with a 2d image of hook inside...and he'd be in sort of a panicky expression). At the base of the cake - looking up at hook would be a 2d image of the Croc- taunting Hook. It might be nice if they could do some kind of water effect at the base with the croc and then take the rest of the cake to look like a waterscape...i.e. rocks, foliage, water. Again- hard to verbalize the concept w/o a sketch to go with it...but hopefully this gives you some ideas.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #1708
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerTrigger View Post
I think it will all boil down to any limitations they might have with decorations vs. cake size. I have not seen them do an edible Hook hat w/ears, but it sounds like something they could do. If they do the croc it will also need to be a 2D image. If they can't do the Hook hat w/ears, you could just draw on other elements from him...like seeing if they can add on the hook, or maybe the watch, or even a mini pirate ship...but once again, not sure if size will make it a no go.

Now I do have an idea, but again- not sure if it could work for a mini cake. While they can't sculpt Hook, they could put an edible 2D image of him on a cake. So, what I'm envisioning has a small sculpted rowboat on top with a 2d image of hook inside...and he'd be in sort of a panicky expression). At the base of the cake - looking up at hook would be a 2d image of the Croc- taunting Hook. It might be nice if they could do some kind of water effect at the base with the croc and then take the rest of the cake to look like a waterscape...i.e. rocks, foliage, water. Again- hard to verbalize the concept w/o a sketch to go with it...but hopefully this gives you some ideas.
Yay! I was hoping you'd respond since you seem to have a knack for designing great cakes! I think you're right that it will boil down to size limitations. We could get something bigger, I'm just not sure we'd eat it since we'll already be eating so much with the DxDP. Call me silly, but I think everyone deserves to have a cake on their birthday! I guess when we get a little closer I'll call the Contemporary and hopefully be able to chat with Brian about the ideas I have and we'll go from there. I know that lurkyloo did a slightly bigger mini cake so maybe that would be an option too?

Disney Magic - 3/2014
Old 03-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #1709
iheartjuppy
Mouseketeer

We are surprising DS with a trip to WDW for his 5th birthday in May. My SIL, MIL and FIL live in Florida, and my mom is flying in for the big day, too, so birthday dinner will be quite the surprise celebration. We have ADRs at Chef Mickey's and I am planning to order a cake but am totally out of my depth! I am a great planner, list-maker, etc. but pretty low on creative vision. Knowing my own limits, I am hoping that I might be able to get some idea help from the DISers in this thread. Your cakes have blown me away! It looks like we are lucky in that we will have Chef Brian as our chef, and I want to make the most of that privilege! The only request DS has made is for a "Jake" cake, which really can be any combination of characters from Jake and the Neverland Pirates/Peter Pan as long as Jake himself is represented somewhere on there. We areren't HUGE dessert people and are checking out the next day, so don't want to go way overboard, but would rather not just do the sheet cake with screen printing, since that seems like what we could get at the grocery store at home. Any ideas or examples that might help? We will be 6 adults and 2 kids. I would like to keep it under $100, if possible.

Any and all ideas are appreciated!! Thank you in advance!!
Old 03-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #1710
TiggerTrigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingeire View Post
Yay! I was hoping you'd respond since you seem to have a knack for designing great cakes! I think you're right that it will boil down to size limitations. We could get something bigger, I'm just not sure we'd eat it since we'll already be eating so much with the DxDP. Call me silly, but I think everyone deserves to have a cake on their birthday! I guess when we get a little closer I'll call the Contemporary and hopefully be able to chat with Brian about the ideas I have and we'll go from there. I know that lurkyloo did a slightly bigger mini cake so maybe that would be an option too?
Awww, thanks! To give you a better idea of what I had in mind...I'm thinking of the visuals between Hook & the croc in the following Peter Pan scenes:

1. interior Skull Rock just after Pan rescues Tiger Lily and Hook & Smee are in a row boat and suddenly dealing with the croc
2. end of the battle scene towards the end when Hook is fleeing on the rowboat from the croc

We have done an 8" cake while on the DxDP. It did make for a lot of extra food and I can say that we didn't finish the cake (even with taking the cake back to our room), but I really try not to think about cake from a practical frame of mind. I guess it would be best to see what Chef Brian says. I know they prefer working with at least an 8" for more detailed design concepts...but ya never know if he can accomodate your idea for a smaller cake.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: