Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #31
SarahInMN
Really my username should be SarahInOR now

Let me start off with my benchmarks (as a previous poster commented/requested upstream): I would not eat at Olive Garden or Red Lobster unless I absolutely had to do so.

Here are my thoughts on signature restaurants.

We never do the dining plan but we always use Tables in Wonderland. The food and pace/ambience at a signature are worth the price. We don't find that the prices are that much out of line to what we would pay at home or at another vacation destination.

The ambience is hit or miss; we frankly try to pick times and restaurants where we think there will not be a ton of background noise (ie screaming kids) because part of dining for us is the ambience. We recognize Disney is for family's but it is hard to have a nice dinner with screaming kids throwing food one table over - sorry but that's the truth.

Hands down best signature on property is Victoria and Albert's but it is in a league of its own and I really am not going to compare it to the others.

The Upstairs Dining room at Wolfgang Puck used to be our favorite (because they didn't take dining plan) due to food, ambience, and service. We have not been back since they started taking the dining plan.

For other signatures, we usually stick to resorts (and our favorites in descending order): Jiko, California Grill, Citricos, Artist Point, Narcoossee's.
As a sidenote, Cat Cora's restaurant is way overrated.

We usually try to eat lunch at the Brown Derby.

If peace/quiet/ambience are important, the Swan and Dolphin (they take TiW) give great alternatives. We like BlueZoo but find the background noise to be bothersome. We really like Kimono's, Shula's, and Il Mulino's. Our home resort is the Beach Club and we prefer heading over to Swan and Dolphin for a nice dinner vs eating at beach/yacht/boardwalk.

Quote:
Get rid of the dining plan and maybe dining at Disney can get back to what it once was -- better quality, separate lunch and dinner menus, desserts created at the restaurant, people not wearing flip flops and bathing suits at sigs, options at a CS besides a bacon angus burger, etc..
Agreed.

Last edited by SarahInMN; 03-09-2013 at 01:11 PM.
SarahInMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #32
shenaniganzz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by frannn View Post
We have done Narcoosies and Brown Derby a bunch of times in the past, and use to love them. The cuts of steak and availability of "higher scale" entrees, such as lobster attracted us. In recent years, we haven't been back there because the quality of food has dimished. We have been to Flying Fish more recently, and found that not only is the food amazing, the level of service has not been matched at any other WDW eatery. Having management approach us specifically to see how we were enjoying our meal was wonderful. We loved the attention and easy going manner of the wait staff as well. We mostly dine at 1 credit places while at WDW, and those places are good as well, but we can definetly feel the difference between those and the signatures.
I absolutely agree about the service at Flying Fish. The servers always go above and beyond (we've had dinner here 3 times, always top notch) and the manager always stops by to ask about the meal. The food is fantastic.

That said, the comparison with regard to atmosphere is true. I didn't find the tables to be too close together, but the noise level is slightly louder compared to say Narcoosees. The later was great too food-wise, but nowhere near the level of wonderful service.

shenaniganzz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #33
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahInMN View Post
As a sidenote, Cat Cora's restaurant is way overrated.
That's the truth!!
1/31-2/9/14
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #34
abinormal
Mouseketeer

Can I ask what it is about the dining plan that has caused reported declines in restaurant quality? I've never actually eaten at WDW so I'm not familiar with the process and am having a hard time understanding the relationship.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #35
Maleficent Dragon
Member Since 2004; lost previous login details

Well, that is a loaded question. LOL

The signature restaurants are better than the non-signature restaurants, but I have had better food for about half or a third of the cost at Saltgrass, Olive Garden, Mi Cocina or even Chipotle.

The food is better than normal Disney fare in their restaurants, but it is not anything I would make a big deal about personally.
Maleficent Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #36
marmar
Mouseketeer

We are empty nesters and eat most of our dinners at Signatures. The primary reason IS the Disney Dining Plan (which I never purchase). Because these retaurants require 2 TS, they are not as crowded. I do not have to deal with as many restless tired and cranky children/parents here. The food is better. The service is better. The ambience is normally quieter and calmer. It is normally easier to get an ADR at the times I want also.

We stopped going to LeCellier for several years 1) almost impossible to get ADR 2) the quality did drop when the DDP started. 3) got tired of listening to folks complain about wait times, light level,etc. We have an ADR here for our next trip.

We are trying Bluzoo for the first time this trip.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #37
STLnative
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinormal View Post
Can I ask what it is about the dining plan that has caused reported declines in restaurant quality? I've never actually eaten at WDW so I'm not familiar with the process and am having a hard time understanding the relationship.
The dining plan reimburses the restaurants a set amount of money for a 1 TS credit (double for 2TS) regardless of what a patron orders. The common opinion on the DIS is that this has led to a "dumbing down" of menus, as venues remove higher-end or more unique menu options in order to remain profitable.
STLnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #38
abinormal
Mouseketeer

I see. Thanks for the explanation. It does make sense, and I can see why it would be frustrating.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #39
BabsBunny
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLnative View Post
The dining plan reimburses the restaurants a set amount of money for a 1 TS credit (double for 2TS) regardless of what a patron orders. The common opinion on the DIS is that this has led to a "dumbing down" of menus, as venues remove higher-end or more unique menu options in order to remain profitable.
I agree. In the early 1990's we used to visit Portobello Yacht Club regularly. While we have lots of great Southern Italian restaurants at home, PYC was unique in that it served Northern Italian specialties. There was always something new to try on the menu.

The 1 TS credit restaurants seem like mass produced food. Like the sauces are something they squeeze out of a bag. I think my biggest disappointment has been with the Epcot restaurants.

But back to the original question. I do think the signatures are worth it for the same reasons others have stated. If it's just my husband and I, we like to enjoy a leisurely dinner and not be rushed in and out.

DVC Fan and AKV Owner
BabsBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #40
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenaniganzz View Post
I absolutely agree about the service at Flying Fish. The servers always go above and beyond (we've had dinner here 3 times, always top notch) and the manager always stops by to ask about the meal.
Agree completely. Both the food and service at Flying Fish are excellent.

Artist Point, Jiko, and Cali Grill are our other three favorites.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: