Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
calablovedisney
Mouseketeer

stay outside universal 1st nigth, or spend extra for onsite?

So, time for more serious planning of our June/July trip. We are going to stay first for a couple of days at Universal and then travel to Disney. Since we will be starting at Universal and still in June I believe there is a buy 2 get 3 days in the park for our dates. So, trying to decide if we should stay onsite both nights. To save money and because we were going to fly in late, I was going to book a much less expensive hotel nearby for one night, then head to RPR, for a one night, 2 park stay.
Now, we may come in earlier in the day. I can stick with the plan and still travel over for the afternoon (to get in the 3rd park day ticket) even though we won't have express pass for that day or dish out the extra $$ to stay 2 nights at RPR.

So, 2 questions...do you think it is worth it to spend the extra money to stay the 2 nights? It's probably about $150 or more to stay there the extra night.
the cost for 1 night there and tickets for 4 for 2 days is over $900.00. It's a lot of money so hard to swallow adding more to that. We have never done universal before so looking for opinions. It is good to know 2 of us are not into big thrill rides.

question 2 has to do with renting cars, we usually rent at the airport, but was thinking to rent near universal if possible since we don't need a car while there(we prefer driving while in disney)

thanks sorry this is so long.
calablovedisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #2
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

I would stay onsite.June/July are crowded.
The resorts are gorgeous, within walking distance to the parks and the resrt guest express pass is worth it.You also get early entry..Cant beat it imo.Even in the off season we will always stay onsite
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

I don't stay onsite but since you're visiting during the busy summer months, I would think adding the extra night would be worth it to skip the lines. I do think going to Disney after Universal will be a letdown because you won't be able to avoid the lines at Disney like at Universal...even with FastPass. I know there is a rental counter at each onsite resort but not sure which one. Hertz maybe? Someone who knows will come along and post.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

i would wait and do the car rental once you leave universal.

parking at the hotels would be $18 + tax per night for self serve.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
i would wait and do the car rental once you leave universal.

parking at the hotels would be $18 + tax per night for self serve.

Just had a thought. At WDW if you have a handicap tag, valet parking is free. Is it the same at Universal?
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
calablovedisney
Mouseketeer

thanks for replies so far. We have been to Disney this time of year before so know what to expect with crowds/lines. We are staying longer at Disney and tend to do mornings and night and spend leisurely afternnoons by the pool or even napping! the longer time will allow us to get in what we want.

I think I played a risky game waiting for flights to go back down, now they are back up. We will definitely stay onsite at least one night at Universal. We were not going to use that 3rd day free, but it looks a lot chaeper to come in a day early so why not get in the 3rd day!
I will post another thread about the rental situation. Was hoping to rent at the resort our last day and then return at the airport. I hope that doesn't cost more.
calablovedisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: