Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #31
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaefera View Post
Thank you all very much. $5 a day is what I had been thinking, so it was nice to hear that same amount from many of you. I like the decorated envelope idea as well. Helps keep track of things!
We always tip $5.00 a day, as well. The envelopes are a cute idea.

I tend to just use post it notes, though. I stick half of the note the bedside table, the half on the $5. bill. I write "For Housekeeping, Thanks" on the note. Works well, easy, keeps everything in place.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
Old 03-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #32
poofiesdream
Disney always and forever

I always tip. These housekeepers really have to put up with a lot. $5.00 daily for my husband and I. We are not messy but I bet some people who are don't tip. Its our way of saying thanks for taking the time to make sure our room is clean!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #33
ArmyVet80
Mouseketeer

We tip but the amount depends on the resort we are staying at. Sounds a little odd but you tend to expect more from the more expensive resorts. We start at $5 a day at the value resorts and top out at $15 a day at the Deluxe or Deluxe Villa resorts. That being said we have never had a problem with any room we have stayed in at WDW. It is just my wife and I so we are not messy people at all. We usually consolidate what little trash we have and try to have the used towels readily available for when Mousekeeping comes into the room. I guess we are really just tipping for the awesome towel themes we come back to after a day at the parks.

We also tip 20% or more at the eateries go to. Both my wife and I were servers while in college so we know what it is like. We have also had friends that have worked at WDW so we have heard some pretty crazy stories. All in all if they supply us with a service we tend to tip.

POFQ: June 2009
All-Star Music: Dec. 2010 thru Jan. 2011
CSR: Sept. 2012
POFQ: Nov. 2013
POFQ: Sept/Oct 2014
Old 03-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #34
lbv7
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
RE: TIPPING RESORT ROOM MAIDS

1) We do not leave tips at WDW for housekeeping.
. . . under normal circumstances and conditions
. . . changing towels, makig beds, cleaning bathroom, straightening, re-stocking
. . . but, if we REALLY mess up the room, that is a different matter
. . . for creating mega-maid-work, I would leave a couple of bucks that day
2) At most hotels, maids are poorly paid.
3) At WDW, the maids are paid well, and in a NON-TIPPED job classification.
4) In fact, they are paid more than many other WDW jobs.
5) WDW maids (per union contract) can
. . . make up to $13.48/hr
. . . leave 45-minutes early and be paid for it
. . . make up to $1.00/hr in Flex bonus
. . . make up to $22.00/room incentive pay
. . . make up to $35.00/room incentive pay for DVC rooms
. . . work very desirable schedules versus other CM's

NOTE: The whole idea of Walt is that everyone gets treated the same,
whether they can afford to tip or not. Plus, he did not want people to have
to tip everywhere they went or for every service they received.
The current starting salary for a housekeeper is $ 8.50 an hour. The current union contract call for a 20c / hr increase each year, so if this trend continues it would take a housekeeper 25 years to reach the the maximum of $13.48/hr.

Yes they can leave 45 minutes early if they complete all their assigned rooms, but doesn't this benefit all guests? If a housekeeper is able to work fast, it just means that guests can access their "clean room" sooner.

See the web site below which is the contract for all WDW union employees.
Go to the chart showing wages for all union positions, and my guess is that salaries for housekeepers are in the bottom 25%for all employees.
http://www.uniteherelocal737.org/wp-...10-to-2014.pdf

Yes they can get a flex bonus of $ 1.00, but only if they clean more rooms than they were assigned. This is extra pay for extra work, no different than employees who work overtime and get paid time and a half.

The incentive pay you quoted is grossly overstated. At DVC checkout it is $ 13.00 for a studio, $ 22.00 for a 1 bedroom, and $ 35.00 for a 2 bedroom. I don't know the exact breakdown but my guess is the majority of DVC units are studios and 1 bedroom, not 2 bedroom.

A single occurence of poor quality (see union contract) may result in disciplinary action. So you get a guest who is a chronic compainer and is never pleased, and the housekeeper could be disciplined.

According to the Disney web site showing current job openings, housekeepers need to be available to work 365 days a year, any shift (morning, afternoon, or night). If that is a very desireable schedule versus other CM's, I would hate to see the work schedule for these other CM's
Old 03-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #35
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp911 View Post
I always thought it was a non tipped position but read an article this morning that listed tipping by country and in America it is listed as customary to tip them. And I have been over tipping taxi drivers, they say 10% and I tip 20%
Wdw itself says it is a non- tipped position as they are doubtless paid at least minimum wage. And no, you do not HAVE to tip them anything.

But the vast majority that post here prefer tipping the housekeepers, so can you if you wish to. It seems to be a widespread practice, at least here.

And it is not excusable to get crappy housekeeping service because you didn't tip.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #36
Disneytwinsmom
DIS Veteran

I believe in tipping the housekeeping staff. They deserve it!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #37
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbv7 View Post
The current starting salary for a housekeeper is $ 8.50 an hour. The current union contract call for a 20c / hr increase each year, so if this trend continues it would take a housekeeper 25 years to reach the the maximum of $13.48/hr.

Yes they can leave 45 minutes early if they complete all their assigned rooms, but doesn't this benefit all guests? If a housekeeper is able to work fast, it just means that guests can access their "clean room" sooner.

See the web site below which is the contract for all WDW union employees.
Go to the chart showing wages for all union positions, and my guess is that salaries for housekeepers are in the bottom 25%for all employees.
http://www.uniteherelocal737.org/wp-...10-to-2014.pdf

Yes they can get a flex bonus of $ 1.00, but only if they clean more rooms than they were assigned. This is extra pay for extra work, no different than employees who work overtime and get paid time and a half.

The incentive pay you quoted is grossly overstated. At DVC checkout it is $ 13.00 for a studio, $ 22.00 for a 1 bedroom, and $ 35.00 for a 2 bedroom. I don't know the exact breakdown but my guess is the majority of DVC units are studios and 1 bedroom, not 2 bedroom.

A single occurence of poor quality (see union contract) may result in disciplinary action. So you get a guest who is a chronic compainer and is never pleased, and the housekeeper could be disciplined.

According to the Disney web site showing current job openings, housekeepers need to be available to work 365 days a year, any shift (morning, afternoon, or night). If that is a very desireable schedule versus other CM's, I would hate to see the work schedule for these other CM's
Yep, doesn't sound like the housekeepers are making a wonderful living without tips. I figure if I can afford to spend thousands on a vacation, I can afford to tip, too.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #38
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceIn View Post
Yep, doesn't sound like the housekeepers are making a wonderful living without tips. I figure if I can afford to spend thousands on a vacation, I can afford to tip, too.
'Wonderful living'? Guess it depends on what you consider a wonderful living. You don't even need to speak English to get a job as a housekeeper, you don't need any higher education. There are many housekeepers who know no English so you have to leave thank-you's in Spanish!!! Or they won't take the tip.
There are a lot of jobs at WDW that are paying quite a bit less than housekeepers. A lifeguard for instance. I would rather tip a lifeguard for doing a great job than a housekeeper.
I refuse to tip someone who does a minimum of work. Like I said, if I'm staying in a regular, non-DVC room, my beds are made before we walk out the door. Things are left very neat. ABout all they have to do is empty the trash and possibly swipe down the toilet. And leave more toiletries and towels...even though I usually hang my used towels up to dry so I can reuse them, but housekeeping usually takes them down and replaces them with fresh. I don't get that since there is a note from Disney asking us to conserve water and reuse towels!!!
So yeah, I have a hard time thinking that someone needs a tip for that 10 mins of service!!! And no, not every guest leaves their room that tidy...I get that. But in all reality??? If housekeeping has little to do in my room, am I now expected to tip to make up for someone else's lack of tidiness??? Nope, not doing it.

I'm not saying that guests can't tip if they want to. I just don't want them thinking that housekeeping is making $5 an hour!!! Tip away if that's your choice. Just know that Disney says that this is not considered a tipped position!! I hae actually had housekeepers refuse a tip...just left it sitting there. When I asked them about it, in the hall?? 'Oh no, I don't take tips. That's not proper!!!' Go figure.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #39
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
RE: TIPPING RESORT ROOM MAIDS

1) We do not leave tips at WDW for housekeeping.
. . . under normal circumstances and conditions
. . . changing towels, makig beds, cleaning bathroom, straightening, re-stocking
. . . but, if we REALLY mess up the room, that is a different matter
. . . for creating mega-maid-work, I would leave a couple of bucks that day
2) At most hotels, maids are poorly paid.
3) At WDW, the maids are paid well, and in a NON-TIPPED job classification.
4) In fact, they are paid more than many other WDW jobs.
5) WDW maids (per union contract) can
. . . make up to $13.48/hr
. . . leave 45-minutes early and be paid for it
. . . make up to $1.00/hr in Flex bonus
. . . make up to $22.00/room incentive pay
. . . make up to $35.00/room incentive pay for DVC rooms
. . . work very desirable schedules versus other CM's

NOTE: The whole idea of Walt is that everyone gets treated the same,
whether they can afford to tip or not. Plus, he did not want people to have
to tip everywhere they went or for every service they received.
I agree totally with this. Plus there is no way for someone in an untipped position to pay taxes on what they make in tips.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #40
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I'm not saying that guests can't tip if they want to. I just don't want them thinking that housekeeping is making $5 an hour!!! Tip away if that's your choice. Just know that Disney says that this is not considered a tipped position!! I hae actually had housekeepers refuse a tip...just left it sitting there. When I asked them about it, in the hall?? 'Oh no, I don't take tips. That's not proper!!!' Go figure.
If you don't want to tip, don't tip. I get it that people feel that housekeeping is not deserving of a tip because it's posted somewhere. That's not me, though.

If $5 per day from me goes towards making someone's life a little better, I'm happy to do it. I want to do it. I think housekeeping is hard, physical labor and it's a job that you have little opportunity to feel good about. Giving a tip makes me feel good in a pay it forward sort of way.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #41
tcherjen
DIS Veteran

We always tip at other resorts. I feel that $5.00 per day is good.

medhdd8ds16 dd19
http://www.pinterest.com/tcherjen/
Old 03-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #42
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

There's no argument over whether it's thought they are DESERVING of a tip. If you want to tip them, there is no problem with that. But if you don't, you are not disrespecting their job. It is not "posted" somewhere, it's in the literature that Disney gives out when you check into a resort. Under the question about which positions are customarily tipped, there is a list. Housekeeping is not listed.

There are those who will say that if they just swab out the toilet they prefer not to tip. there are others who say that even if they TOUCH the toilet, they should be tipped. It's not wrong either way.

I will never say here whether I tip housekeepers or not. Just saying I will not be tearing down anyone who chooses not to.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #43
Dzamula
Earning My Ears

Tipping at least what I do most of the time.

There was a time when I tipped not much at all. Last time I was at CBR, tipped most days at $20. I have heard complaints about rooms and housekeeping, and I think that this happens because of a number of factors but slobby behavior could be a factor.
After paying $300 or more a day for the room, $20 seems reasonable. If I were going to leave $5 I probably wouldn't bother at all because of the insult factor.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #44
Maleficent Dragon
Member Since 2004; lost previous login details

We are DVC owners so I guess this question doesn't apply specifically to us, but if I remember correctly....when we used to do cash reservations, we tipped daily. I think about $5.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #45
DisneyMagic3
Earning My Ears

Are there really that many of them that don't speak English???? I made up my mouse keeping tip envelopes today and each has a motivational/happy/funny quote written on it, along with a simple Thank You. If they can't read it I'll be sad
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: