Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
tgropp
DIS Veteran

Fake Jewellery at Costa Maya

FYI....Just want to let my fellow Dissers who are travelling on the Fantasy and stopping at Costa Maya to be careful about buying jewellery at Millenium Jewellery located inside the Port Shopping area. When we were there in Feb., we purchased a diamond ring for $530.00 only to find out when we got home and got it appraised, the value was $40.00. I contacted the Port shopping area and Mexican tourism to report it (contacts obtained from Disney) with no response. We have purchased lots of jewellery in St Thomas and Grand cayman with no problem and $500 is not the end of the world, so be careful when making purchases at this port. Next time we will follow the ships approved dealers.
Feb 2013: AKL Club Level / DCL Fantasy Western Cruise / BCV
Feb 2012: DCL Mexican Riviera Cruise Dec 2011: VWL/BCV
Christmas 2010: VWL
Nov 2009: BC Villas Dec 2008: VWL/AKV/ Dolphin
Dec 2007: BWV/VWL Feb 2007: Dolphin/DCL Eastern cruise/OKW/VWL
Christmas/New Years 2005: WL/Dolphin
Dec 2002: AKL/WL
Christmas/New years 2000: BC/WL Christmas/New Years 1998: WL/BC
Christmas 1996:WL Junior Suite Christmas 1994: WL
Dec 1992:CBR Dec1989, April 1983, Jan 1980: OffSite
tgropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
KingRichard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgropp View Post
FYI....Just want to let my fellow Dissers who are travelling on the Fantasy and stopping at Costa Maya to be careful about buying jewellery at Millenium Jewellery located inside the Port Shopping area. When we were there in Feb., we purchased a diamond ring for $530.00 only to find out when we got home and got it appraised, the value was $40.00. I contacted the Port shopping area and Mexican tourism to report it (contacts obtained from Disney) with no response. We have purchased lots of jewellery in St Thomas and Grand cayman with no problem and $500 is not the end of the world, so be careful when making purchases at this port. Next time we will follow the ships approved dealers.
I think the same thing almost happened to us!

We walked in and the guy tried to tell they were part of DI and slowly started dropping the price from $1800 to a low CASH price of $700.

I started getting that feeling something wasn't right and looking back he picked a ring that was supposedly the same ring(most likely a fake one).

Walked out and see DI was a couple stores down. Stopped in and they wanted $2600 for the same ring. No bargain at all, but was real I'm sure!

GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder(Hawaii), Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic, June 14 Wonder(Alaska) 36 NOB
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
missj1975
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgropp View Post
Was this one of the Cruise Line's recommended stores? Cause if it was, Disney will rectify the situation but only if it is one of their recommend stores mentioned in the shopping talk.
missj1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
mickey2000
Pin trader

This past December we had at least 5 rude shop owners! Got the feeling that only our money was WELCOME

Won't be next a time !

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: